Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autopilots?

Senior Member 100 Club
    I think it is wonderful that Microlights have evolved. It's also wonderful that you can spend thousands on GPS, Radio, Transponders, Aircraft Avoidance Systems, Airspace Avoidance Systems, and a small fortune on a brand new expensive hot ship if you have the money to do so.

But with two small kids at home, a busy job and the normal family responsibilities plus the crap weather most of the time I have a Hangar Queen. And I love her. She is a Quantum 503 with the most fantastic GPS which I bought on eBay for £20 and an Airspace Aware which I won years ago for writing an article in the BMAA Magazine. I plan to fly more this year and get above the 40 hours I logged last year, aiming for 50.

For me the real beauty of Microlights is that there is something out there to suit everyone, rich and well off, or not so rich and well off. It's affordable and I am proud to be a Microlighter. But autopilots in a Microlight, Too far for me personally, but well done to that mans engineering skills and the 3 expensive GPS's and everything else on top of the purchase price of the Aircraft to run the Auto pilot system. But I agree, each to their own and it's great that if someone wants to put an Autopilot in their aircraft, then they can legally do so.

Damien

PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them

Senior Member 100 Club
    I can see the day coming, though, when the microlight category is so broad that there'll be separate licence ratings required for different types, each with their own testing and validity requirements.

Not yet, but I fear it will come. Then when is a microlight no longer a microlight, I wonder.
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Senior Member 100 Club
    That's exactly the point I was making in an earlier post. The definition of 'microlight' will drift towards larger and more capable aircraft until they are sufficiently different from a TST that a new category will emerge ('featherlight' or some such).
    Similarly, the definition of a 'family car' has changed. Sit a new Fiat 500 (small car) next to an Austin 7. The Austin 7 would now qualify as a quad bike.
    Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

There’s little I enjoy more than flying in calm, stable air when I can take my hands off the controls, fold my arms and just look around. I suppose autopilot might enable me to do this in less stable conditions but perhaps a simple wing leveller might be enough.

Senior Member 100 Club
    Or a pitch stabiliser on a canard such as the Goldwing or Falcon - they can be lively in thermic weather.
    Actually, my old AX3 could be too!

I am a firm believer the more you put into something the more you get out, it’s always a challenge to fly an old Thruster well, I think that’s why I love them so much ! An autopilot of any description would for me detract from my enjoyment, anyway I have serious difficulty travelling in a straight line for any length of time, so I don’t really go anywhere. I just enjoy the sensation of flight.

Senior Member 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aubrey View Post
    I am a firm believer the more you put into something the more you get out, itís always a challenge to fly an old Thruster well, I think thatís why I love them so much ! An autopilot of any description would for me detract from my enjoyment, anyway I have serious difficulty travelling in a straight line for any length of time, so I donít really go anywhere. I just enjoy the sensation of flight.
    APOLOGIES, as a lapsed member I cannot start a new subject, but this one is in need of sending.

MandatoryĒ AD136 from Rans USA dated 2010 -

Oil Pressure switch blow out occurrence danger notice has belatedly been added to the TADS for Rans S6 a/c.
    Beware of this "Gotcha" as it has has probably NOT been seen by you, or your Inspector !
    The TADS refer to the Rans USA PDF with full details on what to do.

The optional Rans oil pressure on/off switch facing forwards on the lower left of the engine (Below the oil pressure gauge sender) is only used to turn on the optional Hobbs hours counter. Rans USA have warned this switch can blow through and high pressure engine oil all pumped overboard.
    There's no warning or alarm for this occurence unless you happen to land before your engine runs dry and find an enormous oil leak has occurrred. (I found out the semi hard way last November !!)

The cure is an inexpensive screwed in plug (eBay) replacing the dodgy switch and reconnecting the Hobbs leads to come on when ignition is on.

mike hallam

Senior Member 100 Club
    New thread started for you in Safety forum - here

Mike you can probably delete your post now, then I'll delete this one.

Senior Member 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Walsh View Post
    New thread started for you in Safety forum - here

Mike you can probably delete your post now, then I'll delete this one.
    Thank you Joan,

I was out strip cutting today and returned home too late to invoke the 'edit' or 'cancel' options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12