Thread: P&M

P&M

I heard the sad news of the demise of P&M Aviation. We can only hope that it will in some form arise from the ashes meantime a high percentage of flexwing pilots as in an unenviable position.

Fortunatly for AX3 & 2000 owners the spares stock of those types is in the very capable hands of Rod at Volair Aviation but the making of new replacment parts will need to be solved.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Still not out of the administration process. Somewhat more lively discussion elsewhere but the bottom line is how well approvals and other costs will fit in with the supply of spare parts as a viable business, and if the approvals need to be sought again. If this tips the balance into a unviable situation, then we are in orphan land as P&M owners.

Senior Member 100 Club
    I wonder if there would be benefit (and interest) in forming a sort of P&M owners club with access to engineering and design skills needed to keep the aircraft flying under the orphaned-aircraft procedures? Ditto, Thrusters.

Shadows, both BMAA & LAA ones seem to manage. How do they do it?
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Senior Member 100 Club
    Shadow owners are very fortunate to have Danny Crosbie, who bought up the backrupt stock of spares and material when the manufacturers went bust for the third and final time. The Shadow was the best and most expensive 3-axis machine of the eighties, but it was very labour intensive to build and difficult to make a reasonable profit from.

Also the Shadow Flight Centre has long looked after a whole gaggle of them at Old Sarum.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Walsh View Post
    I wonder if there would be benefit (and interest) in forming a sort of P&M owners club with access to engineering and design skills needed to keep the aircraft flying under the orphaned-aircraft procedures? Ditto, Thrusters.

Shadows, both BMAA & LAA ones seem to manage. How do they do it?
    I think you mean pressure group, vocal and not afraid to use their size nines.

The best we can offer our members is is the orphaned process.

It's not good enough.

Senior Member 100 Club
    My days of trying to change the system (quietly from inside) are pretty well gone. Time for someone else to have a go.

The orphan issue has two strands, I think: first strand is collaboration between orphan type owners who are organisers, engineers, parts suppliers (new and used) to arrange that there is a well-trodden path through the orphan system - the old Thruster Owners Support Group was a good example of this ( in Australia unfotunately); the second strand is changing the system such that maintaining and repairing orphan types is easier... or given that it's the UK we're talking about, less challenging. Don't let the two threads tangle each other - one's practical, the other's political.

Complaining on forums and other social media is a start, but only a start. I'd have thought there were enough P&M type owners to gain a critical mass for the self-support group, and to have a large enough proportion of the BMAA/LAA membership to influence policy through the Association ballot box.

I'm not going to do it for you - you'll have to act together for your mutual benefit.
    Last edited by Joan Walsh; 7th July 2019 at 15:05. Reason: Minor edits for clarity
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor