Thread: The rise of the Nano Trike

The rise of the Nano Trike

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these tiny Trikes. Having flown various types in the past, I can not help wondering how they handle turbulence. Even with the new wing improvements, they must suffer from increased movement with any type of wind above 10 mph.

Having said that, I do think there are some amazing looking examples (Pee-Bee, Dragon, Nano, Spider, etc.) and the quick assemble / disassemble is brilliant. I remember trying to rig a Flash 2 or a blade on my own - impossible without suffering a Hernia!
    Bryan

Senior Member 100 Club
    I haven't tried one myself, I don't even fly flexwings, but for what it's worth..
    Any light, slow flying aircraft will be more susceptible to turbulence than a heavier, faster one. I used to fly a paramotor, which is about as slow and light as any powered aircraft can be. Turbulence (i.e. thermals) could make for a bumpy ride, but it would take a lot to upset the wing and the limiting factor was the pilots tolerance to being thrown about, rather than the aircraft.
    Pete T.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet".

Like Pete I'm not a flexwing pilot but the nanolights do look impressive. I have heard that they are pretty handy and the weather limits are normally the set by the pilot him or herself. I'm told that Dave Broom has carried out some impressive flights in Airplay's Snake including the flight from Sutton Meadows to Popham this year and we all know what the weather was like then.
    Certainly they must be easier to rig than the Chaser, I remember helping out with that lowering the rigged wing 's socket on the monopole was not for the faint hearted.
    Beautifully simple things the nano trikes, did you see the Snake with Tundra tyres? Talk about land almost anywhere.

Senior Member 100 Club
    I am all in favour. It can only be good for the BMAA. They will attract new and younger people into microlighting since pilots always tend to trade up to more expensive and more capable machines as they get older and more affluent.

Senior Member 100 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jones View Post
    ... They will attract new and younger people into microlighting since pilots always tend to trade up to more expensive and more capable machines as they get older and more affluent.
    ... and provide a retirement home as they get even older and less affluent but still want to fly?
    The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
    GR examiner and TST pilot.
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Senior Member 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Walsh View Post
    ... and provide a retirement home as they get even older and less affluent but still want to fly?
    Stop talking about me like that Joan ;-)))

My Dragon trike dry is 57Kg so under the Chaser wing can be lively and look out of shape sometimes but its light enough for an old man to assemble and fly and that is the big thing. Its not as fast as the standard Chaser ( needs more weight) but is not that far behind the Shadow at touring speed so can go places with about the same fuel burn . Best so far was 4.3 Ltres an hour in a competition in France which helps with the cost when you are not in a hurry. Its just fun. Even for an old man.
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Senior Member 100 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Broom View Post
    Its not as fast as the standard Chaser ( needs more weight)
    Now you know as well as I do Mick, more weight would mean a slower aircraft, unless you also gave it more power. ;-)

light enough for an old man to assemble and fly
    Yes I fit the bill, This is the type of info I need I may need to dig out my thermal undies though!

Thanks all
    Bryan

Senior Member 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jones View Post
    Now you know as well as I do Mick, more weight would mean a slower aircraft, unless you also gave it more power. ;-)
    Yes Adrian the new trike has 50HP with a better prop and even with the present Polini (36HP)on at present its just about climbing on full power so a bit of a guess till I try it but have not ruled out a water tank on the new one to get the penetration but as I have gone for a higher thrust line will try that first .
    With a standard Chaser trike I think I would need more power for the wing or is this just bollocks?
    Mick Broom
    Member 909
    Shadow G-MWTN

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Mick Broom, you are the last bloke to talk bollocks ;-)

You mentioning penetration reminded of an idea I never tried, as it was back in the days when mods felt near impossible; basically it stole the idea gliders use for water ballast.

A five litre plastic container was strapped into the nose of the glider, and piped down via snap hose connectors to an ordinary car washer reservoir and pump plonked on or behind the back seat of the trike. Using a 'sprung to off' switch the pump could fill the nose tank from the trike until the desired speed and penetration was achieved. Return was just via a fuel type tap back down to the reservoir to restore slow flight.

Idea was to simulate the effect of pulling the bar, whilst simultaneously adding directional and pitch stability to the wing.

Would have been fun to try

Cheers

Kev (might post on FB to see what reaction pops up)
    Last edited by Kevin Armstrong; 28th November 2019 at 21:54. Reason: talked bollocks
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire