Thread: Wanted, tacho for Ducati CDI system, and reg/rec for Ducati CDI system

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Wanted, tacho for Ducati CDI system, and reg/rec for Ducati CDI system

As it says in the title, "Wanted, tacho for Ducati CDI system, and reg/rec for Ducati CDI system".

I took my Minimax apart today and found that there's no charging system fitted to it. This hasn't mattered up till now, as the plane has always been pull start. But I've just fitted an M5 starter, so I need a reg/rec in order to charge the starting battery. The starting battery will be a lithium ion item, so I think I may also need some form of voltage stabiliser as well.

The tacho that was on the plane was a Tiny Tach, but I had to cut the wires in order to remove it, so now I've got to get another tacho, and as there's a grey wire coming out of the engine specially for one, I might as well use it. So if you have a tacho for the digital system, or you know someone who does, then please let me know.
    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Senior Member 500 Club
    Wires, Bob? A TinyTach has only one. The cheap generic copies work fine and can be had for a tenner, All of them are more reliable than anything else I ever tried on a Max. There is a grey wire. It accepts a small range of horrifically unreliable and inaccurate meters and it really is best ignored.

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    tomshep,

I bought a pair of the knock off Chinese Tiny Tach's, but I'm not sure about fitting one as I was never able to program the one that was fitted to the 'max to show the correct revs. Instead it always read double the correct rpm's, so when the plane was cruising at around 4,900 rpm, the gauge read 9,800 rpm! I read up on how to reprogram the thing to get the revs to show properly, but for whatever reason it didn't work when I tried it, and I did try several times. In the end I gave up and just accepted that it was always going to display the wrong revs, and I did the mental arithmetic to adjust the numbers in my head.
    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Senior Member 500 Club
    The reason for that is that it is calibrated for a four stroke engine. Two strokes (another egg, Granny?) spark twice as often so if you tell it that you have a four cylinder motor it will start talking sense.
    Last edited by tomshep; 22nd September 2019 at 16:26.

I seem to remember that the real thing is switchable these days, though this probably not yet the case with the copies.
    A good bit of kit the Tiny Tac as long as you can position it such that bright sunlight doesn't make it difficult to read.