Thread: Flycom lining wash

Flycom lining wash

Does anyone know if the lining comes out of the flycom helmets and can be washed in the washing machine?
    Ive a few days off flying and now is a good time!
    flying is good for you!

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Henry,

When I was a despatch rider (a long time ago!) I used to shampoo the lining of my crash helmet on a regular basis. I found that using as little shampoo/water as possible in a sponge to wet the lining, and if possible lift out the sweaty grease from the fabric, was the way to do it. Once done towel it out as much as possible to dry it a bit, then put it in the airing cupboard overnight. The next morning it was dry and smelling of shampoo instead of my greasy hair. :-)
    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Thanks Bob, I was hoping not to shrink the lining and not make anything go hard. I always try and have clean hair when im flying but over ten years its gotten a bit dirty. Does the lining come out easy?
    flying is good for you!

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Long View Post
    I always try and have clean hair when im flying but over ten years its gotten a bit dirty.
    Er, yes, ten years is a long time to go without washing your hair
    Martin Watson
    Microlights in Norfolk
    Fixed Wing Instruction - Exams and GSTs - Revalidations
    07805 716407

I knew there was something wrong with the way i said that!
    flying is good for you!

Diamond geezer 500 Club
    Henry,

I couldn't take the lining out. I washed it while it was still in the helmet. That's why I used as little water as possible, and had to put it in the airing cupboard overnight afterwards in order to dry it.

One thing you can do to reduce the contact between your hair and the helmet lining is to wear a very thin balaclava inside your helmet. That way you've effectively fitted a removable lining that you can wash as often as you like. It's what I've done since I started flying flexwings back in 1999, and I still do now when I fly my Spectrum, as I need to wear a helmet when I fly it.
    XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

One thing you can do to reduce the contact between your hair and the helmet lining is to wear a very thin balaclava inside your helmet.
    Similar idea but try Googling 'helmet liners'. There's plenty of options on Amazon UK. We used to wear similar things under the Yank military flying helmets.