Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW SLUKA OWNER

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Hi Everyone

[3]My name is Roger Hinkins, and I am new to this forum, I have recently invested in a half share of Sluka G-MZGF. She is hangered at RAF Wyton Cambs and I have spent some time preparing her for permit after which I am pleased to say she has passed. I had my first flight in her (first in a Sluka) last weekend, and she is an absolute delight to fly (far superior than a Pegasus GT450). I now have a lot of exploring to do.[/3]

[3]I look forward to discussion/chat re Slukas, and perhaps meeting some of you in the near future. Any other Slukas in Cambs area is there a consolidated list of Sluka owners/locations?[/3]

[3][/3]

[3]Roger H[/3]

Attached files

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

NEW SLUKA OWNER

If all else fails you could try GINFO :idea:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...rafttype=Sluka

Meantime enjoy owning a true microlight ;-)

Ginge

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Hi Roger, I'm Victor. G-MZBF and think the Sluka is a great little plane. You can gather more about me from my previous posts. Love to look at photos of the inside & outside of this plane, so if you have any more I'd be interested, and maybe get ideas for my own layout. hi. Anyway nice to have another name on the forum and look forward to some discusions. byeee

not real name 500 Club

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Roger,
    Your Sluka looks a belter - the same colour scheme as mine. I have a three blade Ivoprop up front.
    Since we have a Sluka forum on here, does the BMAA permit them as well as the PFA?
    Has anyone heard of a Sluka with a 503 fitted instead of the 447. I am sure I picked that up somewhere. I think it is about 4kg heavier than the 447 and wonder what difference this would make 300mm for'd of the CofG datum point (leading edge of wing)
    Mine is G-MZLY by the way.

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Thanks for the reply Bill (and Unicorn). I am sure the BMAA does not permit the Sluka, pity, because I did not particularly need to belong to both BMAA and PFA. I have also heard that a Sluka has been cleared for a 503. As the PFA administer the Sluka, I wrote to them asking where, on their website, can I find the information pertaining to the Sluka, this is where the information pertaining to the 503 should be, if indeed it was cleared. I did ask my inspector to check this out for me. Wait out....

The PFA reply was as follows 'quote':

[color=#0000ff>

[color=#0000ff>

[color=#0000ff>

I fitted an Ivo Prop on my Raven flexwing, and immediatly noticed a significantly smoother ride. Any change in prop will have to wait for now i'm afraid.

The 447 on MZGF had not been used for some 2 years, so I do not have full confidence in the engine/crank just yet. I am also in the process of marking out the fuel contents alongside the sight tube. To do this I intend to 'spirit level' the level flying attitude whilst in flight, replicate this attitude whilst on the ground, and use this as a datum whilst adding 5 litres at a time. Youve all been there I'm sure.

I also seem to have a slight fuel weep from the tank. I recall spotting an indentation in the tank seam at the bottom which had been caused by a small bolt. I thought I had sorted this by fitting a thicker baffle between tank and tank support. Suppose I will have to take the tank out and have another look.

Will post more photos soon. Enough rambling for now.

NEW SLUKA OWNER

I tried to source a carb heater from Skydrive at the show but they only sell
    water heated ones, no good for a 447. They put me in contact with a gent who manufacturers them as a sideline, I have contacted him, but have yet to place an order. Is there anyone else out there with 447 with carb heater. If so I would be interested to know type/source/cost/ and if you are satisfied with it.

Although having also done a GFT on a sprint, I only have a few hours on the Sluka, and am now about to practice crosswinds. What landing/approach methods do Sluka owners prefer for crosswinds, or perhaps more to the point, what does the Sluka prefer, if indeed a specific type of aeroplane has a 'preference' (handles better??).

not real name 500 Club

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Roger,
    I have a permanently on electrically powered carb heater. It is supplied from the spare generator coil. I'm sure there must be a supplier for these - have you tried Conair.
    Just handle the Sluka like any other 3-axis. It can have a tendency to lift on to one wheel as you kick it straight at the last moment due to the large wingspan compared to the small wheelbase. It lands in such a short distance that you can get away with landing diagonally across the runway.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

NEW SLUKA OWNER

[quote=Roger H]
    I tried to source a carb heater from Skydrive at the show but they only sell
    water heated ones, no good for a 447. They put me in contact with a gent who manufacturers them as a sideline, I have contacted him, but have yet to place an order. Is there anyone else out there with 447 with carb heater.
    From what they told me at the show the guy whose name they passed on is the bloke that used to made the ones supplied by Skydrive. It seems as though he will still make them Skydrive will no longer stock them. If that is fact then it seems that you are only cutting a corner.
    If you go for it let us know how you get on
    Ginge

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Bill Ginge

Thank you gentlemen for your comments. The chap who makes and supplies the carb rheaters is Stan Stanley 901235 527629) should you be interested. I think I will order one, I never did have one on my 447 Raven, perhaps I was lucky. Returning recently from France, one of our gaggle of 8 flexwings (a 447 Raven) had a forced landing in Kent due to (we are sure) carb icing, having been lucky to have just made it across the channel. The GT450 I was flying had all the bells and whistles, which although comforting, particularly over the sea, however flying it is not retro enough for me.

Will let you know how I get on ............

Roger H

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Has anyone replaced their cockpit canopy, I think I am going to have to replace mine. Would be grateful to know of a good supplier of Lexan, I have yet to measure thickness. Has anyone chosen a tinted screen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast