Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW SLUKA OWNER

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Roger Hi
    I'm in the middle of replacing all my Lexan. I'll let you know the specification and supplier.
    You will find it difficult to get a tinted version below 3mm thickness so I don't think it's an option.
    More details later.
    Regards
    Gerry
    G-MZBK

NEW SLUKA OWNER

I have 'memory map' map software on my PC, and am looking for a suitable PDA (GPS incorporated) to use with it. I have only used basic map and compass so far, and despite the reluctance to use electronic aids, some of my flying (and I suppose the threat of prosecution should I infringe) occasionally dictates a need for a higher level of accuracy/confidence in my position. Does anyone use a PDA as a navigation aid-any advice/experience of type would be appreciated. Thanks

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Gerry

How far are you with replacing your canopy, I have measured the thickness of mine, bout 1.5mm and reckon I will need a sheet 1.8m square. Did you use Lexan or some other trade name, any useful tips on working this material???

Regards

Roger

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Hi,
    Anyone got an idea of Seluka wingspan ,height,..cruise speed at 5000/5500,
    take off ground roll,Vne,?Any snags?
    .................................................. ....Wilyflier

not real name 500 Club

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Wilyflier,
    The Sluka wingspan is 9.2m. The height at the tail is 2.05m. My cruise speed at 4800 revs gives 47 knots. Take off roll is about 40m for me. Vne is 70 knots. Stall is 30 knots, and that is just a slight "mush". MTOW is 275kg. Empty weight is 160kg.
    You certainly won't find an easier 3-axis to fly - an X'Air maybe.
    The only thing to look out for is the subject of an MPD inspection (yearly). That is the bolt through holes on the boom at the forward wing attachment. Cracks have appeared on a couple. I believe they are on ones which have used grass runways, where loadings caused by the bouncing effect on land/take off leads to failures. I am so impressed with mine that even if I found one with cracks, I would consider buying it and make up a new boom.
    There used to be a flight test report on the "Flight tests" section on the BMAA website.
    The permit system though, is administered through the LAA where you can conduct your own permit flight tests - a big bonus if you live in the back of beyond like me.
    A perfect little aircraft - no vices whatsoever.
    They were much sought after for competitions.

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Thanks Bill,
    ..........Any idea of height also at the front, I can tip the tail down , but have to clear under 74 inches
    ...Vince....07941313141

NEW SLUKA OWNER

Bill, interesting thought about the grass strip landings causing the boom cracks. My inspector had the idea that the original two-blade wooden monster prop (VZLY?) caused a lot of vibration and could have been the cause of the cracks. Don't know if he's right but fitting a three blade Ivoprop made it really smooth. Before the Ivo I fitted a GSC Tech II wooden prop but that was almost as bad as the VZLY.

BTW, if anyone wants some boom tube first try Dave Almey of Skycraft (RANS importer) or John Barker a Sluka a fellow Sluka owner at Priory Farm, Norfolk, who bought a lot of the tube stock recently: 07909 524124

I'm G-MZES

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12