Thread: 503 engines?

503 engines?

Hi,

Just been looking around the web for info on the Rans S5 and noticed some have been fitted with the rotax 503 engine. Is it possible to fit this engine to the UK S5? I think the answer is probably 'No' as all the aircraft on G-info come with the 447 but thought its worth asking. I'm just a little dissapointed by the cruise speed of 55 mph, it just seems very slow to me!

how do you guys get on with the slow cruise speed??

Cheers

Paul

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

503 engines?

Jockster wrote:
    Hi,

how do you guys get on with the slow cruise speed??

Cheers

Paul

That is about the normal cruise speed for older style microlights. Many of us prefer it that way, flying microlights used to be about time spent in the air in a machine that is a delight to handle and everything made simple, including navigation.
    Ginge

Senior Member 500 Club

503 engines?

AFIK the PFA/LAA only allow the 447, though with precedence especially in the USA you might find you can get a mod. Have a look at G-INFO there's not many there & see what they have for motive power. One guy in the US fitted a 1/2VW conversion. It was in a past RansMail I send out. Don't forget we are only allowed to 80 mph vne, & the Rans USA performance claims are not accepted here without a dollop of salt.

I was out flying today, and at cruise with temps CHT & EGT not too low, she'll cruise at 50 kts [57 mph] without stress & return 8 l/h mogas/oil consumption. That's pretty O.K. provided not a strong headwind.

Did Sussex to Dunkeswell in 2006, non-stop & return with adequate reserves too, that's with the second roof tank - 12 Litres capacity in my case - fitted.

The tail plane incidence as originally supplied is fixed and used to require a hefty back stick bias from the elastic trim. To me that meant extra drag as up elevator fights 'down' tailplane.

Rans' later web site [now removed] mentioned an adjustable tail plane incidence. In practice its a pair of forward lugs to replace the one hole originals which allow a choice of two better positions. This too was well covered in 'RansMail' bolt in exchange done in minutes and not only is my trim easier to fly no hands, but in the unlikely event that the elevator wires die or fall off the a/c is less likely to immediately nose dive !

If you aren't a member of the U.K. Rans S4/5 group write to me, using a . where dot is written.

mikehallam@btinternet dot com

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

503 engines?

It would be interesting if we could find figures for a 503 fit. I'd not be suprised of the greatest difference as a large increase in fuel consuption with no measurable inprovement in performance as I am told is the case with the Minimax.
    Ginge