Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New owner

not real name 500 Club

New owner

Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668 wrote:

I didn't realise they were quite so sensitive in the air, this one throws a paddy when you try anything unusual :shocked:
    Yep, I have to confess that although I hadn't flown for a long time I was a bit oversure of myself when I started in microlights (in MYRO actually) because I thought I'd have it hacked in no time but I was soon brought down a peg or two. Now it's what I find so enfuriating yet at the same time so engaging about AX3s. I think it's why they are really for just bimbling nowadays because I guess on a longish haul it could become pretty tiring and nerve taxing too especially if the weather closed in a bit as well as getting more bumpy.

BTW looks like PR has been tidied up rather nicely. I see it's still got the original throttle bar - there have been a couple of mods since then. The later 'standard' one is approx 1/2" dia like the original but with a swan-neck curve top (PR's one is right angled). Then there's the 'training' one which is curved but made from 1" dia tube. I like it because it's generally more robust. MYRO had the large dia one but Rosie transferred that to her new one and gave the thinner curved one to me with MYRO. But MYME that I got the engine from had the larger dia one so I got that off Mark so now I have both, but I still prefer the 1" training one.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

New owner

[quote=Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668]

I didn't realise they were quite so sensitive in the air, this one throws a paddy when you try anything unusual ;-)

Ginge

not real name 500 Club

New owner

Hope to see you at Wing Today Then Peter. I can get fuel for you if you wish, and the kettle will be on too.

Mark

not real name 500 Club

New owner

Peter, what are those boards fixed to the cockpit tubes made out of? They must make getting in and out a bit tricky, and using the brakes too. I use the cross tube that the bottom of the panel's cable tied to take my weight getting in and out but with the tube covered you can't. Do you just have to clamber on the seat cushion?

not real name 500 Club

New owner

[quote]Ginge Sunley wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668

I didn't realise they were quite so sensitive in the air, this one throws a paddy when you try anything unusual ;-)

Ahh, you should remember that the AX3 is a French lady Peter. If coaxed in the right way she will do almost anything for you, but if you push your luck you'll wish you hadn't. Get to know her and treat her right and she is a lot of fun;-)
    Ginge

Ginge
    Ginge, didn't know you were so knowledgeable about saucy foreign ladies. Have to get your advice a bit more often :turn:

New owner

Roger,
    The flooring is about 5mm plyboard...... it actually made getting in and out slightly easier.... I could put my right leg in and then sit down and then contort my left leg in, very easy getting in...... 'kin' hard getting out after 90 -120mins of flying though, I was flying solo so I could shuffle across to the passenger seat to get out after long legs in the air. Using the brake was quite a chore as with the boards I had to slide my right boot backwards and lift the brake lever with my toe cap !!
    The ex owner told me it would do 70-75mph @ 6000rpm and 55mph @ 5200rpm.. I thought "bullshit" but those figures did stack up..... I actually flew Calton Moor to Otherton (22.4nm) in 46mins (33.5mph groundspeed) WITH 55mph indicated !!! so I wasn't keen to carry on that day, so a hotel was used. Next morning I flew 88nm to Upfield Farm in 1h55mins (52mph groundspeed) WITH 60mph indicated @ 5500rpm !! After refuelling at Upfield Farm I had a 55nm leg to Will Knowles strip and that took 1hr 35mins (40mph groundspeed) WITH 70mph indicated @ 6000rpm and guzzling fuel like crazy !!! I crossed the Bristol Channel at 501ft

Mark,
    The winds didn't favour me coming via Wing Farm, so I opted for Upfield instead....wasn't enjoying the aircraft enough for a leg via Wing.... EET for Otherton to Wing Farm was 2hr 20mins and told it goes quiet at about 2h15 -2h30 usually

Ginge,
    The French lady gave me the 'ride of my life' I must admit I was well and truly fucked after every liaison with this feisty lady..... it has given me a totally different opinion of microlight pilots who flirt with these type of mistresses :turn:

All in all I flew 4hrs 16mins and was glad to hand it over to the new owner, but it certainly isn't the aircraft to try to fly 165.4nm (190.2sm) and I originally planned to do all that in one day !! 2days was enough. I now ache like mad..... these AX3's are not made to carry such wide backed pilots.

The field in Devon I landed at was literally just an unkempt field with a windsock, but the AX handled it impeccably well. Will I miss flying the AX3 ? Most definitely not !!!!!!!

Roger Mole wrote: Peter, what are those boards fixed to the cockpit tubes made out of? They must make getting in and out a bit tricky, and using the brakes too. I use the cross tube that the bottom of the panel's cable tied to take my weight getting in and out but with the tube covered you can't. Do you just have to clamber on the seat cushion?

New owner

Roger,
    PR's THROTTLE IS A 'T' PIECE (not right angled) Actually it was a PITA (too close to lexan) the Swan neck is a far better set up, PR also had a throttle that retarded if not held !!!

Roger Mole wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668

I didn't realise they were quite so sensitive in the air, this one throws a paddy when you try anything unusual :shocked:
    Yep, I have to confess that although I hadn't flown for a long time I was a bit oversure of myself when I started in microlights (in MYRO actually) because I thought I'd have it hacked in no time but I was soon brought down a peg or two. Now it's what I find so enfuriating yet at the same time so engaging about AX3s. I think it's why they are really for just bimbling nowadays because I guess on a longish haul it could become pretty tiring and nerve taxing too especially if the weather closed in a bit as well as getting more bumpy.

BTW looks like PR has been tidied up rather nicely. I see it's still got the original throttle bar - there have been a couple of mods since then. The later 'standard' one is approx 1/2" dia like the original but with a swan-neck curve top (PR's one is right angled). Then there's the 'training' one which is curved but made from 1" dia tube. I like it because it's generally more robust. MYRO had the large dia one but Rosie transferred that to her new one and gave the thinner curved one to me with MYRO. But MYME that I got the engine from had the larger dia one so I got that off Mark so now I have both, but I still prefer the 1" training one.

New owner

Strewth, I didn't know that any of the oldest type throtle levers were still around, I have never seen one never mind flown with one. As Roger says the curved ones were said to be a big improvement and the large diameter ones are a lot better than those. The angled ones seem to have a different friction layout so I don't know how it is tightened, maybe just tighten down the clamp.

The brake setup is a bit weird and it took me a while to get it set up right and the heel operation is strange, I once had the embarrassment the pulling sharply to one side when I applied it hard, right in front of the squadron too :blush:

I'm not suprised that you found it hard going Peter I find that they are at their best between 45 and 50mph where they fly nicely and sip the fuel. The faster you fly the harder work it becomes, I have huge respect for the farther and son team out of Plaistows who have some great flights to their credit.

Still I take it that you are not yet ready to upgrade to an AX3 then Peter :rofl:

Ginge

New owner

Ginge,

I don't somehow think I will be 'upgrading' to an AX3. I must say I think that anybody who can cope with all the idiosyncracies of an AX3 deserves a medal, yes I enjoyed it but it was hard going and I was actually glad it could do 70mph @6000rpm or I would probably still be flying it now. I am sure that for 'bimbling' it is a lovely way to fly, but I was doing a distance.... boy was I glad it had the 'ferry tank' in it :smilewinkgrin: I estimate I used 18 litres going from Calton Moor to Otherton, then 30 litres going to Upfield Farm and then 30 litres going to Will Knowles strip (78litres in 4hrs)

Nice aircraft to 'bimble' but for distance it just doesn't cut the mustard.... it brings a whole new meaning to flightplanning when you see groundspeeds of 23mph at times from a 50mph cruise, in fact over 1 beach I slowed down to 35mph airspeed and was going backwards.... I was looking at every field over 200m long as a landing strip :shocked:

Banned Banned500 Club

New owner

[quote=Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668]

Nice aircraft to 'bimble' but for distance it just doesn't cut the mustard....

Peter,
    Welcome to the world of 'traditional' microlighting. It's a different world with different expectations. You may not like it, but many of us do.
    I don't think the AX3 was ever intended as a mustard-cutter on long distance trips into wind so it's a bit unfair to measure it by that.
    :smurf: Joan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast