Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BMAA Amalgamation with LAA - News update

Diamond geezer 500 Club

BMAA Amalgamation with LAA - News update

BJ and Joan have both posted on the Yahoo group saying that this was a unilateral action by the LAA, and that BMAA were not informed prior to the press release going out.

All very fishy if you ask me.

Martin

Senior Member 500 Club

You jumpy guys might obtain a better interpretation of this subject from studying the LAA's preamble:-

"....(from) legal advice during the preparatory due diligence process...The Association has been advised that due to a legal issue it would not, at the moment, be in the interests of either Association to proceed.

The specific issue could well take over a year to resolve.

It remains the intention of both Associations to progress merger discussions..."

So it's clearly stated there is one specific legal issue, presumably capable of resolution because a time frame is indicated, after which both sides intend to continue.

Further down the LAA take pains not to rock anyone else's boat by revealing the issue. But the BMAA too might not wish to expose any of their own vulnerability to, say, a third party.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

But they would say that wouldn't they...

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Martin Watson wrote:
    But they would say that wouldn't they...
    It is interesting to note the conspiracy theories here mirrored on the LAA forum. It would seem that there is a fair ammount distrust to be overcome on both sides

Ginge

Diamond geezer 500 Club

I don't think its about conspiracy theories or mis-trust, Ginge, or being jumpy, and the posts on the LAA forum seem to echo the views on here - in other words they are expressing a perfectly natural curiosity about what the h*** is going on, and why cant the two memberships be told?

The LAA statement says "there's a problem...the LAA dont want to go further with the amalgamation at present and anyway we have more important things to do until its sorted out - like building our HQ". What it could have said (and I'd have been quite happy with) is "there's a problem... we have discussed it with BMAA and we are continuing to work together towards amalgamation although things may slow down a bit". And its quite clear that the issue was NOT discussed with BMAA. This is an example at the very least of the LAA badly mis-handling how they communicate.

There is a world of difference between these two statements. Somehow I don't think Jeremy Harris would be surprised...

Apologies that I keep coming back and editing this post, but I want to express my views properly. I'm going back into the NO to amalgamation camp if this is an example of how LAA behave.

Martin

The whole point about DD or Due Diligance is the ability to bear to each other your soul to ensure that there are no surprises or hidden issues and it is generally done under a strict confidentiallity agreement, meaning neither party can talk about issues raised whilst under the DD third parties. If something is uncovered it is prudent if not legally and morally correct to address the issue before the next step can be taken. In a recent business sale during DD we had to suspend the sale for the best part of 6 months to resolve a problem before we could continue. It certainly does not man there are hidden agenda's going on, it is just part of doing business. It is obvious that something has been found that needs to be addressed and that is all we will probably know until after the merge has taken place, apart from gossip that is.

There seems to be an incredible amount of distrust floating around with people looking for a smoking gun, Mike Hallam I would suggesthas read the issue correctly.

Paul

not real name 500 Club

Paul,

What we are talking about here is the possible amalgamation of two clubs, which are also businesses, but their main purpose is to provide a service to their members.
    What seems to have happened is that one party has dropped the joint approach and has released to their members a confusing press release, in that it made a statement that threw up a series of unanswered questions. This may have been done without the knowledge of the other party.
    What should have happened was the release of an agreed joint statement, giving such facts as were allowable. This would appear not to have happened.
    We are not talking here about a secret business takeover, where there is a danger of competitors gaining an advantage. There was nothing secret in the discussions, and we all knew that they were taking place, although I didn't expect much news until a proposal was ready.
    The reaction that has ensued should have been expected by the LAA, and it shows a lack of expertise in negotiation that they failed to foresee it.
    This has nothing to do with DD, which I for one would respect, if that were an issue. I would suggest Paul, that you are too keen to wear a business hat, when, as you know in that world trust is a totally foreign word.

Senior Member 500 Club

BMAA Chairman responds to LAA press release. Read all about it!

Go to www.bmaa.org, open NEWS and read on.

Geoff Weighell

20:55 09-08-08

Hi Ted

Points noted, BMAA news duly read and I would have to say I am dissapointed by the LAA stance. Having been through similar in business I would say the BMAA needs to push forward with what it does, recruit more members and grow in strength, I see the Microlight area of aviation as very much a growth area due to the ever increasing costs of GA.

For those that follow this thread could somebody illucidate why the LAA act in this way.

Paul

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Well at least we know where things stand now, and I cant resist a bit of "I told you so..."

The only conclusion I can come to is that the LAA top brass are pratts. In contrast my admiration for the more professional approach of the BMAA committee and executive has grown considerably.

Martin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast