Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BMAA Amalgamation with LAA - News update

Diamond geezer 500 Club

BMAA Amalgamation with LAA - News update

mikehallam wrote:
    Quite right, Ginge,

He stated he's a member of both LAA & BMAA & free speech abounds. I agree there are many more aggressive postings then his, but his recent attacking style though atypical doesn't appear to have a constructive purpose.

Mike Hallam
    I agree, his style is crude and does nothing to enhance the image of the BMAA with LAA forum members.

Donald

I would not overestimate the power of the LAA forum. It only has about 500 registered members in an organisation of 8000. This forum has 1200 out of 4000. It is true that some members of the LAA exec post on it, but one has to be careful if assuming it is completely representative of the membership has a whole.

Rod1

not real name 500 Club

Crikey, I see Keith didn't waste any time on this one. He wrote to Roger before he even began to think about discussing G-STYX with his own members.

The argument that has been used to propel this is that one organisation would be better funded to fight EASA. At the moment the BMAA are predominately concerned with changes to Annex II and particularly with sub 450kg aircraft in that category.

A combined organisation would have to deal with Annex II + and - 450kg, VLA, ELA, part M, part 21, the rest of these currently being LAA priorities.

Would it not be far more efficient (saving the massive costs of re-locating, re-branding, re-printing, re-electing, re-staffing etc) to simply both contribute to the costs of fighting issues that affect both organisations?

I dont think Keiths letter was really an olive branch - refering as it does to the LAA's current (unsettled) litigation problem...

I woudl think the door is tightly closed on both sides amalgamation wise for some time to come.

Worthwhile cooperation is a worthy aspiration once the wounds have been licked, and one I would hope we can usefully work on.

paul

not real name 500 Club

mikehallam wrote: Quite right, Ginge,

He stated he's a member of both LAA & BMAA & free speech abounds. I agree there are many more aggressive postings then his, but his recent attacking style though atypical doesn't appear to have a constructive purpose.

Admittedly it's less offensive to me than your treasurer's psyche forces on ths forum, but curiously defective just the same.

Mike Hallam
    Interesting thread.. Mike.

I first posted the open letter from Keith Negal to your Roger. This was not a stone - it was a perfectly civil letter from Keith to Roger. No response by the way.
    I then posted my own view. This was not a stone - just the issue for lifting the drawbridge from Roger was a legal case that has now ended. As that is the case I was asking if talks could not restart. I got no answer so simply asked again, and again.

So the purpose..
    I want to know what the LAA's position is now thats all. I hope my posts were not offensive - pushy yes that was intended after I received no response. You see quite a few people think that GSTYX, or your own case, was not the real reason after all, eh..

Best

BJ
    ps - whats your current roll in the LAA, Mike?

not real name 500 Club

BJ

I spoke to a number of councillors, who expressed sincere relief that the talks had broken off in the way that they had, as the longer they had gone on, the clearer it became that the BMAA's definition of a merger was never going to happen. I believe the LAA's refusal to consider a name change and refusal to consider relocating to a shared HQ were minor, compared to some other stumbling blocks.

In asking if talks could not restart, I see that you have received no response.

We should be grateful for small mercies.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Pete Croney (aka bar shaker) wrote:
    Crikey, I see Keith didn't waste any time on this one. He wrote to Roger before he even began to think about discussing G-STYX with his own members.

A combined organisation would have to deal with Annex II + and - 450kg, VLA, ELA, part M, part 21, the rest of these currently being LAA priorities.
    Funny that. BJ made a lot of noises on the main egroup about Keith Negal early on to say he distrusted him; later he was won over (or appeared to be) after visiting his business and discussing confuters with KN. I don't always agree with John but like his style or not, he does have a large dose of common sense. Had his initial gut instinct led him right or wrong?

For some reason (for which I'll get flamed - but so bloody what) I keep getting the faint feeling that a merger was more about who'd end up top fish in a bigger pond. More about politics than members. And maybe driven by one rather than many. Try reading Chairmans Airwaves and observe Planet Political's ambassador from Earth, up and running.

That poster making the point about people getting on fine at the airstrips, and associations arguing was right; it is politicians that start wars, where people on the ground were usually rubbing along together pretty well; think 'Balkans' for a good example. And for unpopular forced mergers driven by politicos for their own ends, 'Europe'. The point about divided we can't fight creeping regulation, misses one key point; unified and arguing like hell internally means sluggish decisions and internal disunity anyway; G-STYX policy being discussed elswhere showed that rather well.

Kev Armallusrong-Saecouncil.

Not quite sure who you are accusing there kev, but rest assured there was no desire from anyone BMAA side to end up personally as 'king fish' indeed our current chairman would dearly like to step down and get on with some flying.

What we did want was a mechanism that ensured that no one or association ended up 'in charge', but rather it should be a merger of equals with elections for council places ASAP from the combined mebership so it woudl be truly representative, and get away from 'them and us' as soon as possible.

In the end I believe that both LAA and BMAA was frightened by the reality of such a fundamental change and feared that one element or the other may end up in charge at the detrement of others.

It was a very useful exercise to talk it all through in my opinion, and I think that for now we are right to remain seperate. However we must not let it get in the way of working together and good communication, and I hope egos in both associations are not too bruised and get in the way of that.

Paul

Banned Banned500 Club

I agree, Paul. A positive and constructive way forward would be for the two organisations to work more closely together over time; smaller projects first growing to more important ones later. It already happens quite a lot at the local level.

By building on the successes and learning from the mistakes, we might even end up with a situation where joining together as one organisation will be the natural outcome. If we can't reach that point, then there must be a more fundamental problem and we'd be right to stay apart.

Joan
    :smurf:

not real name 500 Club

Thanks for the update, Paul.

I believe we can achieve much more by working together where there is a joint interest than we would achieve as one association, facing every issue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234