Thread: how does everybody land there x-air ???

how does everybody land there x-air ???

hi all , i had a bit of scare today landing my x-air , in quite a strengthy crosswind ,( 15mph gusting to 20mph , according to a windmeter as i found out , only after i landed ! ) i was always taught to use the crab method , as does the manual state as the best & only way to land ! , however , im wondering if in strong crosswinds , i should be lowering the into wind wing a bit ?? i crabbed in as usual , but mid flair , as i kicked the rudder in to straighten up , the into wind wing lifted sharply , & the plane swung round into wind , all mid flair , at the piont of stall ! very un,nerving !! i managed to straighten up enough to make a very untidy arrival , followed buy a huge sigh of relief ! id be greatfull for any help & advice & tips , for landing my beast in a crosswind , now im of the change my underwear ! cheers
    mike

Always side slip it wing down into wind, the most simple and controllable thing you can do in an xair, I can go down the runway totally sideways and have 100% control all the time.

The wing can't lift very easy if it is pointing downward that is why it is always the best method in cross wind.

Anyone who says it should'nt be done in a Xair is an idiot, oh that's right I remember now, he was !

Banned Banned500 Club

And don't forget the secondary effect of yaw (kicking rudder gives roll) will always mean that as you kick straight the into-wind wing will want to lift even if it's not being helped by a gust. So with a crab aproach, the kick-straight action needs to include a bit of stick into wind.

It took me a long time to realise when I was a beginner, that it's perfectly acceptable to land on one wheel first - which should be the into-wind main

Hope this helps

Joan

:smurf:

thanks guys , a lesson learnt !! ill be out practicing at the weekend !! many thanks
    mike gregory

My method of landing is so simple that no instructor would recommend it:

1. Get close to ground.
    2. Reduce power to idle.
    3. Close eyes tightly.
    4. Pull like F*&K....

Never let me down yet!

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Pete McCleane wrote: My method of landing is so simple that no instructor would recommend it:

1. Get close to ground.
    2. Reduce power to idle.
    3. Close eyes tightly.
    4. Pull like F*&K....

Never let me down yet!
    I believe you, but I also try to let be down gently and be pointing in the right direction it takes a wee bit more finese :smilewinkgrin: