Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microlight Exams

Microlight Exams

Hi Ginge,
    Thanks for your efforts and for putting together such a comprehensive reply. I think there's enough information there to keep me busy and stop me asking questions. For a while at least!!!

Cheers Kevin.

not real name 100 Club

Microlight Exams

Also get the book A-Z of microlighting it's brilliant.

Microlight Exams

Hi Dave,

I found the PPL confuser quite helpful whilst I was doing my exams for my microlight aircraft. Granted the exams ain't as difficult as the group A exams but if your passing them on the confuser I see you having little difficulty on the microlight ones. With that said the confuser should be cross referenced with a microlight manual Brian Cosgrove probably being the standard for most ab-initio pilots.

As another poster mentioned it's better doing the exams at the level of progression of your flight training. Air law being first and required before solo flight. Again it's a fairly vast subject but if you have something like the confuser to cross reference your manual it's a good way of testing yourself with detailed answers provided.

When you progress to solo flying a good understanding of the weather,navigation and radio procedures is essential. Your technical knowledge improves as the syllabus progresses. Your instructor will explains the physics involved for every phase of the syllabus. It's also a vast subject but most of the questions are common sense like all the exams.

I have listed what exams I found hard and ones which were straight forward.

1 Meteorology (I found this to be the most difficult exam with lots of weather phenomenon to learn.)

2 Airlaw (Vast subject with lots of legislative policy to learn. I used ANO (Air Navigation Order)for pre study helped immensely)

3 Aircraft tech POF ( Fairly straight forward but previous flying experience on sailplanes helped me.)

4 Navigation (once demonstrated by my instructor this was my third strongest subject dropping one question on 1:60 rule also learn chart symbols.)

5 Human Performance Limitations (Basic understanding of human Physiology is all that's needed.)

6 Radio (Theory side straightforward, practical you get plenty practice before test and prompts even if your fluffing it on day. This reflects what really happens if your struggling whilst talking to any service, they will squeeze info out of you.)

Just a small tip on radio, if you find it your weak subject like most trainee pilots do buy a scanner and listen to the local Air ground or ATC frequency, this will help you understand the radio bervity that's used and lets you know where and when you put out standard calls. There is also things like ATIS (aerodrome terminal information service) which you can either tune into or phone this gives you all the runway information QNH who to call and weather, a great learning tool.

Hope this helps regards Kevin

Banned Banned500 Club

Microlight Exams

Another tip: when taking my flying exams I found the following rule usually worked:

If in doubt about the correct answer to a question, choose the one which looks like it's been copied from an official publication - it's usually the verbose option.

eg. When driving down the motorway you wish to overtake a slower vehicle, do you pass it:

a) on its left

b) on its right

c) usually on its right, but in congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, and where traffic in left-hand lanes is moving faster than traffic to the right, you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right.

It's not guaranteed to be right (or left, or wrong), but it's better than a wild guess, and it worked for me

Joan

:smurf:

I heard recently that the BMAA had taken on the responsibility of re-writing the exam papers for the examinations that are part of the BMAA microlight syllabus, I did see a reference somewhere that hinted that there will be errors if the BMAA are given this role. ( Can't recall where I saw that reference though? )

Now my question is, I have just heard that the latest Navigation paper that the BMAA have just collated as paper M17C has some errors in it and have been recalled and that the CAA Navigation exam papers have been reintroduced until such times as the BMAA can reprint the corrected versions.

Apparently Nav paper M17A & M17B are correct so anyone taking a nav exam should insist on the A or B editions to be certain of getting a proper result.

Is this true or is it just a malicious rumour?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12