Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The really light trike flys!

The really light trike flys!

Paul (C) - I dont know what 'this long' really means. I think Paul would be first to admit that this project has had several stages, with breaks. My experience is that with all the info presented in a good compliance cheklist it happens reasonably quickly - we got our first trike through in under a year, and both us and the technical office hadnt done one before. stages generally are:

1, Initial consulatation to introduce the project
    2. Presentation of a structural compliance checklist
    3. Ineveitably there will be some questions to answer or mistakes / ommisions to address- so this stage can go on a bit if there are a lot of points.
    4. Build Uk prototype and have it inspected
    5. present test plan
    6.Get flight test clearance and fly the schedule (this can throw p anomilies that need addressing and may cause structural redesign - so can be a snake and ladders point)
    7. final config noise test
    8. write all the manuals (this can take a loong time in itself, if the type hasnt been offered as a homebuilt before - I have over 1000 hours in the Skyranger build manual alone!)
    9. Final approval

With such a process requirement it is never going to be a five min job - even with a big manufacturer like Air Creation and german and LSA approval there will be holes equating to Section S which will invaraibly require additional testing and some redesign. same went for C42 and recently the sport cruiser which needed substantial changes.

Of course there is a philosphical argument that says single seaters shouldlnt have to do this (one I actively support), but just now legislation demands it over 115kg.

the tech office themselves are not the major time factor in this - you do have to wait in the queue at each stage which can be frustrating - but each stage is required and tech office are not empowered to decide that any can be skipped.

Just now we do have staff problems (doesnt help when your CTO moves to LAA...), and with summer hols and unfortunate illness of our head man, it is extremely difficult just now. We have been actively seeking extra staff, and have money for it, and a plan for farming some of the work out so hopefully this is just a temporary situation.

Paul (R) - Tech office dont put ongoing project quieries at the back of the queue - they go to the front - but behind fleet onging airworthiness (groundings, SB's etc), and supervising the junior staff to keep them working productively. With the unfortunate problems illustrated above Ben reports that he is really struggling to get much time for project work just now, hopefully things will improve quickly (I have the Tanarg 912ES / iXess13, hoping to get progressed too, and a new skyranger varient coming very soon, so have my fingers firmly crossed!!!).

As you say I dont see the Dragonfly and the Trya as head to head competitors, but each serving different sectors.

Paul

not real name 500 Club

Thanks Paul D,

When you say
    "We have been actively seeking extra staff, and have money for it, and a plan for farming some of the work out so hopefully this is just a temporary situation."
    Would you not agree that the situation exist now so now would be a good time to put the plan B ie farming out of some work into action? Or has this already been done?
    If not Ben and co must be working under imense presure can the council not give the guy a break and get some of the work farmed out quickly?

"Tech office dont put ongoing project quieries at the back of the queue - they go to the front". This makes me both Happy and sad cause if my recent delay was caused from the front of the que then its worse then I thought!!

I had missed the IXess wing on the Tanarg looked at it at spamfeild knew there was something but didnt see it! Whats the performance like, I read good things about that wing on the USA forums.

Cheers Paul.

Hi paul

Staff recruitment has been ongoing for some time - you may have noticed teh ads for several months now. Sadly tehre is not a big pool of popel with relavent expereince to draw from. Yes, Ben is recieveing some good help form outside the HQ building right now, and hopefully there may be another avenue soon too.

I hevent got any real time yet on teh iXess 13, but Air creation and feedback from Samir Elari (world champ a couple of time on Air Creation machiens) is a 10km/h increase in speed compared to the 15 and excellent charactersitics in the turbs. I hope to quantify the numbers if I can get to flight test soon!

Cheers
    paul

not real name 500 Club

Hi Paul D,
    Cheers Paul I thought that may be the case I had seen the adverts. Pity you cant lend them Paul W! May help you get the Tanarg mod though.(I say this half jokingly!)
    Sounds good this iXcess wing I know that I read some stuff on a usa forum about the handleing in turbs being good. Flying over there on flex wings dureing the day will test any wing for thermals!
    All the best Paul,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123