Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What an incredibly long flight I have endured so far !!!!!

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

What an incredibly long flight I have endured so far !!!!!

Well I was expecting to be typing this at least 3 days ago !!!!!

I went to Milano Malpensa on the 18th July by Sleasyjet to ensure I could collect the Skyranger 80hp I was to buy on the 19th July, as always the best made plans go awry, the 19th was the party of the Italian ULM Pilot extraordinaire and we spent the morning looking at the Skyranger as we had purchased 'blind' and then went back to the hotel to get ready for the sedate party in the evening.

Well the party was neither sedate nor was my intake of alcohol ( I thought I had moderated it ) so when the morning of the 20th came round and I was due to fly the Skyranger on my 1st leg to somewhere I wasn't capable of even comprehending what I was supposed to have been doing!!! The 21st was now to be my departure date from Borgo Ticino

(21st) I loaded myself and my female friend onboard the trusty Skyranger with our 'minimal equipment' (most of my stuff is being posted back) and attempted our departure from the 390m grass Golf Course Fairway, with our uk legal MTOW being exceeded by nearly 90kg (540kg) we climbed out at 400fpm at 90kmh. The flight from Borgo Ticino to Voghera was in beautiful crystal clear VFR conditions and I thought we were on a roll...... Voghera was shut and they announced 2.5hrs after my landing that they had no fuel available (not that day or the next !!!) but luckily the helicopter suppliers build these CH7 choppers that run on Rotax 912 engines and had a supply of Mogas and would sell me 60 litres for 50 euros (result I thought !!!) I only uplifted 50litres though, but still gave them 50 euros. Time was rushing on so we nightstopped and then left Voghera on the 22nd.(Borgo ticino to Voghera 0.8hrs 53nm)

(22nd) From Voghera we intended to go to Frejus ULM site which is ran by AerosafariFrance, we even filed a flightplan as such, the trip from Voghera through the undulating mountains to Genova was flown at 3500ft (in the valleys) and then a descent down to 1500ft as soon as we hit the coastline to fly past Albenga and around the coast to Frejus via the entire french riviera, Frejus was getting a battering from a 35kt wind and a quick calculation gave me a crosswind of 27kts but we needed to land as we only banked on a 3hr safe endurance. Frejus ULM field is STRICTLY PRIVATE and my arrival was questioned by the CFI but he was happy when he saw my copy of the flightplan, he even went to the local petrol station to get me 40litres of mogas !!! again a nightstop after a 2.4hr flight and I had no intention of flying again in a 35kt wind (Voghera to Frejus ulm 2.4hrs 155nm)

(23rd) Frejus was CAVOK and my departure was into a more acceptable headwind,although 1.7hrs to cover 102nm is hardly startling, especially seeing as you need to be 1000ft or below over the sea !!! Marseille Aix were incredible in as much as they welcomed me with the ATC controller coming to physically talk to me and after refuelling the Marseille Police wanted to ramp check me as my radio had been a little garbled on the way in !!!, licences were photocopied and flightplans photocopied and so was my memos from within my pockets !!! after this brief chat I was free to depart to MY NEXT DESTINATION (Frejus ulm to Marseille aix 1.7hrs 102nm) I had planned a 120nm leg, but after getting airborne and getting a hefty headwind in the Rhone Valley I decided Pierrelatte was to be my stop point.....Pierrelatte is an incredible airfield and the ULM members were pulling out all the stops to help me and shuffled at least 6 ulm's around to make space for the Skyranger to go in the hangar as the winds were 65kmh !!!! I actually landed with a airspeed of 100kmh and a groundspeed of 35kmh !!!! This a place I would highly recommend to the wfaec as it is the friendliest place I have ever been an excellent facilities onsite and very economic hotel prices (Marseille aix to Pierrelatte 1.3hrs 65nm)

(24th) After the excellent stop over in Pierrelatte we intended to go to Bourg Ceyzeriat 120nm northeast of Pierrelatte and had actually flightplanned for 2.6hrs according to forecast winds and were utterly thrilled to get to Bourg in 2.1hrs, my fuel seemed very low after having filled the tanks full at Pierrelatte and having flown 2.1hrs and yet more fuel had gone than on my 2.4hr flight as I was marker penning the fuel burn for each flight leg as it had never been calibrated on the tanks !!! (Pierrelatte to bourg 2.1hrs 120nm) At Bourg I refuelled and then we bravely flew to Reims Prunay which I had planned for 3.4hrs according to forecast winds, but was concerned about fuel burn so checked every 20mins to see if the fuel was being used up quicker than I planned...at the 2hr flight time point it was marginally lower than my 2hr used line and at the 2hr 20m flight time it was at below the 2.4hr line slightly, so I relaxed a little and knew I was now going to still have fuel by landing time at Prunay....Refuelled that evening back to full.(Bourg to Reims Prunay 3.1hrs 192nm)

(25th) On my Preflight at Prunay the next morning I could smell petrol strongly and when I lifted the pilots seat the floor was soaked in dripping petrol, the Reims Cessna engineers put the leak down to a minscule split in the pipe leading to the one way non return valve and cut a small section out and reconnected it up....BRILLIANT.....No leaks after but I had lost about 7 litres of fuel.... The next leg flightplanned at 2.2hrs to Le Touquet and I thought full tanks minus 7litres was ample enough !!! Departed Reims and managed to get a 120kmh cruise with a 135kmh groundspeed so knew it would be less than 2hrs to Le Touquet as the heading was a constant 347deg with the 15kmh tailwind being right behind me !!! after a few orbits for other traffic to land at le touquet I touched down exactly 2hrs after my last take off (Reims Prunay to Le Touquet 2.0hrs 131nm) BUT THE SMELL OF PETROL WAS THERE AGAIN ON SHUTDOWN !!!! Up came the seat and there was seepage again, but it looked like it was the other pipe now? Being tired I just wrapped a rag around it and thought "deal with it tomorrow morning"

(26th) Checked the pipework and it did look like a seepage from the other pipe, but when I put the electric pump on the flow increased incredibly and it was painfully obvious it was coming from the metal one way valve, the fireman at Le Touquet supplied two spanners and I dismantled the oneway valve and found the 'O' Gasket had partly perished....some silicone around the 'O' ring and some very careful reassembly an it was cured and now absolutely no leaks !!!! Filed a Flightplan and then by the time I could leave the Sea Fog had rolled in.....SO STILL IN BLOODY LE TOUQUET !!!!

Will update it more if I get away on the 27th !!!

At least there was no fog when I was there yesterday (27th).
    I popped over the water to Abbyville for a superb lunch yesterday and the weather around Le Touquet was lovely.
    The fog this morning in Edinburgh was bad so I hope you got back all the way yesterday.

not real name 500 Club

Les

Peter rang me this morning looking to land at Mt. Scarey for a break coming up from Norwich, but was thick fog there when he rang

he sounded very dissapionted :sad: but it did clear slightly, enough to get through perhaps.

Dont know if he set off or not, hope he made it home, did not see him trying to knock me off the roof this time :lol:

MAX

Max/Les,

Firstly thank you to Max for giving me the wx update for Mount Scairey & Beverley Linley Hill.... the quick answer was I didn't fly any further than Skegness on that day, though I wish I had !!!! (for reasons that will become obvious very soon after this paragraph)

Departed Skegness today after having landed there on Monday and having suffered all day tuesday with food poisioning from a dodgy Fish & Chips !!! Well I decided to depart on Runway 11 at Skeggie and after getting airborne I suffered some windshear and dropped down and in the following climb out whacked a runway markerboard off the side of the runway with the undercarriage, no visible damage was seen from either window and the wheels seemed to be both in the correct position, I was routing to Eddsfield for fuel and on my touchdown at Eddsfield the RH Main Undercarriage has rotated backwards around the crosstube. No damage has occurred to the Engine or prop nor to the wings....in fact it was a hardly noticeable incident other than a lower right wing when we stopped on the runway at Eddsfield, the aircraft is fine and I am fine also.....(not that everyone will cheer at that)

not real name 500 Club

bloody hell Peter :freaked:

pleased you OK

is the skyranger still at eddsfield ? I was up at Beverley today a few mins from eddsfield could have come over.

MAX

Yes the Skyranger is still at Eddsfield

Yes I am fine !!!!

Pissed off that after all that flying I have an incident in the UK at an airfield that I know really well :blush:

I am now looking at options for repair and any advice would be gratefully received.

Some pics of damage (in case any advice is forthcoming)

Attached files

Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668 wrote:

Yes the Skyranger is still at Eddsfield

Yes I am fine !!!!

Pissed off that after all that flying I have an incident in the UK at an airfield that I know really well :blush:

I am now looking at options for repair and any advice would be gratefully received.

Some pics of damage (in case any advice is forthcoming)
    Hasn't the skeg fin also been torn off? Can't see any sign of it...........

Rick

This one didn't have the Ventral Fin underneath.

Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668 said...
    This one didn't have the Ventral Fin underneath.

Doesn't meet Section S then because it is a foreign import.

That could be a tricky one, both from the viewpoint of sourcing the repair materials and insurance-wise I suppose. Any repairs will of course need to be signed off by an inspector but I don't know how the UK inspector regime applies to the rules (are there any?) for importing non S compliant microlights. I suggest you ask Paul Dewhurst to give you some advice on the whole issue unless you bundle the wreckage into a crate and send it back to Italy.

This is obviously a reportable accident and I wonder what the AAIB will make of it.

Rick

Rick,

The AAIB were notified within 30mins of the incident and it is a reportable accident and that is why the AAIB were informed, I am wondering why the highlight on the foreign part? Surely if G-SKRG got damaged abroad, you would want the assistance of the foreign dealer if at all possible ?

I am also totally impressed that you chose to look at negatives (rather than look at positives) I walked away from the incident with no injuries and the fact that it was a controlled accident which didn't emulate in any injuries or wing or major damage is surely an accolade to the Skyranger build.

I am 99% certain that the repair can be effected quickly and that the Skyranger can be back in the air within a few days (hopefully)

In passing I am surprised that you have yet again chosen to take a negative stance on this and secretly I know you will be gloating, gloating seems to be your forte...... why is it that you seem to enjoy the misfortunes of others so much?

I actually rang you earlier to ask advice, but am glad I missed you now (after seeing your post)

Microlighting is certainly cliquey and it was nice to have sympathy and help from some I didn't expect it from, Terry Viner has been a real help with advice and Shaun Maxwell has also been helpful and is an incredible example of what microlighting should be about. Prior to my accident flight Both Terry & Shaun Maxwell were helpful on advice with maintenance issues and weather reports etc,etc.

Some advice Rick...... be more like those guys and you may just put microlighting up where it belongs !! Max & Terry are the cream of the crop.....you just seem to be souring the cream.

Sorry if my post is harsh, but my pride is somewhat dented and I am not really in the mood for the ridicule of Rick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast