Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Welcome

Hi Henk, if you look on the main BMAA site you will find a section on clubs and schools. Take a look at Gloucestershire and nieghbouring counties and if you can visit some of them, find the club or school that you feel happiest with and then just have fun

Ginge

Senior Member 500 Club

Welcome

Welcome to the EASA mad house, but flying as we know it is doomed !

Keith Negal's request this week for our action doesn't appear to be taken seriously.
    He needs individual responses to EASA, to see if he can persuade EASA to change their minds on enforcing draconian Class 'M' maintenance on ALL a/c from nil up to 2730 kg.
    See Keith's postings for advice.

Welcome

Hello All, I hope i've done this correctly by replying as it won't let me post a new topic for some reason.
    My question which you will no doubt have seen before from newbies is, what to choose, i.e. If 2 aircraft 1 a flexwing and 1 a three axis were both for sale used at around say 7000 which to go for? My uneducated guess is for the flexwing as i think it will be cheaper to maintain and store, i.e. at home but having read through a lot of posts on here now i may join a club like Hampshire. I would be very interested in the replies to this as I can find no definitive answer, I want to choose from the outset as i don't want to convert later.

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

Dean

I should go along to the Hampshire Microlight Club meetings and chat with a few knowledgeable people there. They are a good bunch (?)and meet in a pub but I can't remember what it's called.....

http://www.hmfclub.com/

Steve

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

But I seem to remember it had good beer!

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

Steve Slade wrote: Dean

I should go along to the Hampshire Microlight Club meetings and chat with a few knowledgeable people there. They are a good bunch (?)and meet in a pub but I can't remember what it's called.....

http://www.hmfclub.com/

Steve
    The club is based around Colemore Common, Hampshire. We meet at the Pub with No Name (The White Horse) at Froxfield on the first tuesday of every month. All welcome...

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

Dean, this is why you cannot start a new thread in this section:

Steve Elsbury wrote: We want to be sure there are no off-topic posts in this section, so it is set up so that only moderators can post, but all registered users can reply. The idea is that an initial entry for a thread will attract replies, and the initial poster can then amend the first post so that it contains the best possible boiled-down wisdom the collective members can achieve.

I will add moderators to this forum over time, as members prove their trustworthiness to me or to nominated others, and hopefully this forum will grow into an extremely useful resource.

If you have an idea for an initial FAQ thread, please post it to the general group, so we can massage it into shape before moving it to here.

Regards, Steve
    But to answer your question, 'fixed or flexi', it is simply down to personal choice. I don't see that there is a great deal of difference in terms of price, maintainence or reliability. Hangarage will be about the same for either, and you can pick up decent second hand aircraft in both flavours for only a few thousand, or brand new aircraft for tens of thousands.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to have a go in each and see which you prefer. Also, have a few lessons before buying a plane, so you will know more about what you want from a plane.

David.

Welcome

Hi All
    Thanks for the replies to my thread, I will endeavour to visit HMFC now to meet the people there. All i need to do now is choose where to learn to fly as i don't want to travel too far from my home in Calshot. My options are Lower Upham ( although i don't know if they train weight shift) and Old Sarum. I won't go to Popham as i want to learn in an aircraft i could own and not an Icarus that i haven't a hope of owning! After reading through the choices on here i may choose the restricted licence whilst continuing on to get my full unrestricted licence as i agree with Joan that taking the exams quickly keeps it all fresh. I remember taking my Yachtmaster theory course and by the time i came to use it to cross the channel, i was rusty on a lot of points. Meanwhile i'll keep reading and waiting for my boat to sell so i can begin training!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12