Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long will it take to learn?

How long will it take to learn?

....which is why I went abroad. Did a week with Gerry Breen in Portugal, and had a huge mental block on landing so didn't even get to solo. Didn't fly for a year, then went to Reg Whittal in La Fleche for two weeks and came away with a full licence. In my experience it was cheaper than faffing about in the UK.

My own personal experience is 38 hours over 22 months and still not even solo (Age 39.9). According to my log book I get flights in Summer and Autumn 3 times a month or so, winter and spring is pretty poor especialy Feb. I'm sure my lack of talent spreads this out, and I well undertand the skill fade. The spread does have a number of benefits in my opinon, helps cash flow, keeps my wife and family reasoanbly happy and allows me to fly in a very broad range of weathers, in the area I will fly once I have my license.

not real name 500 Club

Hi Nick,

I am a bit of a kindred spirit. 33 hrs and not solo yet. Very close though, all exercises done, all exams passed, just a bit of a mental block on last 1ft of landings. I am 44 and I have heard that 1hr per year of age is a rule of thumb so maybe we havent got long to go :freaked:

Funny that, same problem as me, although mines the last 2 meters according to my instructor.

Good luck

Nick

Somebody wrote: Funny that, same problem as me, although mines the last 2 meters according to my instructor.
    I think most people will have some story to tell on the subject of landing, especially during the last few feet. :freaked:

Robert

yep, I've just worked out I've spent almost 16 hours in the circuit and it's the landings that causing me problems, just gotta relax :-)

Graham

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Yup, I guess most of us have been there and remember it well :cry: It'll pass :smilewinkgrin: Good luck

Ginge :tongue:

Does my heart good to here these 'youngsters' struggling! Took me about 35hrs for solo so well with in the 'hour per year' bracket. Spent one summer in the circuit trying to land a Thruster Sprint onto 300m-ish. Spoilt going to these places with 1000m.
    Ron

not real name 500 Club

Just a word of encouragement to those ( like me ) who thought they would never get solo.
    It really can happen and today, after 35 hrs ( half of that in the circuit! ) Gerry got out of the back seat and sent me on a wondrous 1 hr solo flight around Strangford Lough.

Nearly as good as pulling a gorgeous big blonde with ample frontage ( other sexual preferences are available ! )

Just keep plugging away ................ it will all come together some day

Congrats Alan :-)

I found it a very strange being up there by myself for the first time having no one to talk to. I used to enjoy the chats with the instructor during dual training. My first hour away from the airfield was one of constant lookouts one after the other, and LIFE checks every two minutes, just in case. :lol:

I'm more relaxed now. :-)

Robert

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast