Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The sky is blue and the sun is shining, so why won't you fly today?

The sky is blue and the sun is shining, so why won't you fly today?

Despite the title, the most usual reason is the weather. More specifically, the wind. Microlight aircraft usually fly in conditions of light wind only (apart from the hardened - or some might say crazy - few. Also, crosswinds (ie winds that are not blowing directly down the runway) can be tricky to handle on takeoff or landing. A go/no go decision is always the sole responsibility of the pilot, who should never let him or herself be pressured into flying against his judgement.

Of course, there are many, many other reasons too, as the rest of this thread shows.

not real name 500 Club

Jeremy, its a good point.

I got my license at Stoke and Chris runs an incredibly supportive club. I also had Slippery, THS and Al Roche there, who were always up for flying somewhere.

When I moved to my farm strip, 4 months later, it suddenly dawned on me that I was alone.

I now have stocks of spares that I will never need, tool sets that could build new cars and a calor gas thingy that can make me a coffee. Quite often, I fly the 20 minutes to Stoke just for one of Suzies' excellent breakfasts and a cup of her coffee.

I was quite nervous at first, but actually its great fun being on your own strip.

We set up the Essex Microlight Club just to bring pilots like me and Tony (also on a farm strip now) together. Within 2 years, there's nearly 50 of us and we have some great fly outs. I know several local fields, Stoke included, where people don't really fly out of the circuit.

Its a big world out there and people should get some overnight stops into their log book. Its a massive sense of achievement, even if its not far, its also massive fun.

My first Channel crossing (with you on my wing, Jeremy) is probably my most memorable flight.

France is now a preferred destination for a day's flying.

not real name 500 Club

Because:

- it's too windy
    - the plane is unservicable
    - the Permit has expired
    - the thermals are horrible and I'm waiting til later

Tom

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

A few seasonal ones

The runway is waterlogged :cry: and the wind is 25kts straight across the runway or the Met Office form 214 is giving 40kts above 1000' :shakehead: I have a head cold and flying could permanently damage my ears :sad:

Fortunately none of these apply today :smilewinkgrin:

Ginge

not real name 500 Club

I know exacrly how Jeremy feels. Driving to the airport, on the way, I can see in the distance that the hangar doors are closed. There's nobody there, I've got to get in and get the covers off (covered due to a pidgeon population) wheel the micro out, fuel up,start up and make "blind" radio calls and I'm away. It all changes when I'm up - it's all worth it in the end. I can't wait till the clocks change, then in mid summer I'll be flying up to 11 o' clock at night or off at 02.30 in the morning if need be.

not real name 500 Club

Sometimes it's just nice to sit at your airfield and relax and do nothing, I have just done that today.

not real name 500 Club

For me as a student I have all of the above to come, I was due to be back flying this week but my instructor has been off 'doing his thing' in far off places.

not real name 500 Club
    Live in Boston, Lincs. Alive when flying, Lincs

Sorry to hear that GeeJay, what have you got left to do?

not real name 500 Club

I have a good few hours solo left to do plus 3 exams then the actual GFT jobby, but I'm in no rush, it's all flying and as long as the weather plays fair I'll enjoy every minute.

not real name 500 Club
    Live in Boston, Lincs. Alive when flying, Lincs

Where do you fly from?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast