Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far / how high can you fly in a microlight?

How far / how high can you fly in a microlight?

How far?

The range limit of a Microlight depends on it's fuel capacity and consumption, coupled with the strength and direction of the wind, and the capacity of the pilot's bladder! e.g. my Kiss 400 has a 60 litre fuel tank, and consumes about 13 litres per hour to cruise at about 57 miles per hour. So assuming I want to land with a reserve of 5 litres (of which, in my tank, the last 2 litres are unusable anyway), I can cruise for 60 - 5 = 55 / 13 = 4.23 hours At 57 mph that allows me to cover just over 240 miles in still air. Now if I have a 20 mph tail wind, my speed over the ground increases to 77 mph, allowing me to cover 325 miles. The longest I have ever spent airborne in one period is 4 hours, and I was damned glad to get out of the plane at the end of it!

How high?

In the UK, in unrestricted airspace, the maximum height you are allowed to fly without filing a flight plan is 10,000 feet. This is plenty high enough for most people. My personal 'best' is just over 14000 feet. Note that when I did this, I was in constant radio contact with friends flying far lower, and they kept getting me to do sums, so we could spot any onset of hypoxia (discussed in detail later in this thread). Fortunately for me, there was apparently none.

not real name 500 Club

Flex wings have been over the top of Everest and have circumnavigated the globe. Depends on your spirit of adventure.

not real name 500 Club

Steve Elsbury wrote:

How high?

In the UK, in unrestricted airspace, the maximum height you are allowed to fly without filing a flight plan is 10,000 feet. This is plenty high enough for most people. My personal 'best' is just over 14000 feet. Note that when I did this, I was in constant radio contact with friends flying far lower, and they kept getting me to do sums, so we could spot any onset of hypoxia (discussed in detail later in this thread). Fortunately for me, there was apparently none.
    I don't think that is correct or not now anyway. You don't need to file a flight plan although you need to be transponder equipped.

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

Simon Baker and Dave Young landed on Everest,I've got the video,with Fuji robin engine 31 years ago

So how high can you fly a microlight depends how brave you are !!

The most famous Shadow ever built , G-MWLD number 106 was flown by David Cook the designer and builder to 23621 ft to gain the height record for its class on the 10-6-1989

Regards Jerry H ( present owner and not that brave)

I am currently in Nepal and the highest so far I have been to is 16,600, just before Christmas. This was in a 912 GT450, two up with takeoff at 2750ft. The aircraft was still climbing at around 200ft/min.
    AndyB

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Did 10.000ft in my 503 powered Alpha last summer...cruise climb...took 30 mins...in contact with my local regional airport at all times,

I could tell the engine didn't like the lack of O2...running quite rich with the EGTs going a lot lower than normal.

This is 14200ft today

Attached files

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

Show-off! But what an adventure and what a picture! Great!

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Nepal going by the (9N reg....any effects of the alt Andy...and is that the Himalayas then???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast