Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forum Search facility now working

Forum Search facility now working

Hi Mark and Laurie

I'm afraid phpBB is out of the question. I will only run an asp.net forum for which I can get hold of the source code, and which support a Microsoft SQL Server back-end. This is not some kind of snobbery, but is pragmatic. I do not want to have to keep several sets of database tools, and I need the forum to be (a) modifyable by my staff and b) easily integratable (no such word, I know) into web solutions we develop.

These reasons are why I went with dotnetbb in the first place. However, even though I own a source code licence, I do not have the source for the current version as the vendors did not supply an update with the last two releases. I have chased and chased and cannot even get a reply out of them.

Google is my friend in this search and there are quite a few offerings out there. Many look great at first glance, but then when you ask for a list of sites using the software, you see a different story with very little take-up, which does not bode well for future support.

The ideal scenario is if I can get the latest source for dotnetbb, at which point I will forget the vendors even exist and take responsibility for all changes from that point on.

Regards Steve

Laurie: They all support subscribing to individual threads, some will list new post some will just give you a link. However I don't know if they have any options to send out digests, I'm guessing probably not, however it's ages since I've run a forum. I don't think any of them support posting by email, but I could be wrong and there is plenty of code out there that could be adapted for a forum.

Steve: Fair enough, I just assumed that you'd have PHP and MySQL set up as standard and didn't actually realize you were using asp (really is quite obvious right enough :P) Being a linux user, I tend to avoid anything microsoft and don't have any experience with ASP so I'll leave it to your judgment

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Search definitely better than before, but 'Last month' (the default) seems to never get any hits?

Test scenario:

a) click Search above at top right
    b) enter 'bmaa' in search field, press Enter
    --> nothing found
    c) change search to 'last year'
    --> Now plenty found, including many in last month.

mfc

Mike - I think we can agree the search uses the well known 'pants' algorithm :-)

Mark - I have nothing whatsoever against PHP or MySQL, just don't want to have to support mutltiple languages and databases. There's enough that can go wrong with a server already without adding complexity! Shame, in a way, as phpBB seems nice enough - but I wouldn't know where to begin on extending it's functionality.

Thanks for fixing the searcher, works for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12