Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I've started so I'll finish

Diamond geezer 500 Club

I've started so I'll finish

[quote=John Moore (1595)]

I think full time moderation and having all posters as BMAA members is inevitable now.. sorry. :-(

BJ
    (sometimes I feel I am pointing percy into the wind...).
    I tried to reply to John's post on the other thread, but it has been locked, except to moderators :-)

BJ,

What made you change your mind since you posted the above?

Donald

not real name 500 Club

Paul Collins wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slade

Regarding banning people, how about a "three strikes and you are out (for good)" rule? It might make one or two think twice about posting provocative messages.

Steve,

A reasonable period ban will have much the same effect without going over the top.You only get 15 years for killing someone and your debt is paid. I just think it is a matter of perspective.

Anyway, there is provocative and there is provocative. I personally hope we don't end up with something that is too sanitised. I think people should be encouraged to speak their minds. :smile:

Paul
    Hi Paul

Bob has banned people from here and the yahoo forum from time to time, they do not seem to be away for long and then come back on and continue where they have left off.

I refer to a recent post containing the expression "f*&k the newbies". That is totally unacceptable and, IMHO, should have resulted in an immediate suspension. Where an individual continues to post in such a manner, a permanent ban would be appropriate. We just cannot have the "newbies" being afraid to come on and ask questions.

I suspect that sombody on two strikes would think very carefully about what they posted if they wished to remain on the forum.

Steve

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Jeremy wrote:

Whilst some will regard this forum as a place for sensible debate and light hearted humour, others will treat it as if it was a school playground. I doubt that moderation, or a closed members area, will change that.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

You may well be right that it is difficult or impossible to stop some treating the forums as a school playground, but I don't think this is enough reason to give up trying everything possible to improve the quality of the content of the forums. Rightly or wrongly they are a window onto the world of microlight flying, and the BMAA, for interested potential flyers and others like journalists and the CAA.

cheers

Martin

not real name 500 Club

Very very reluctantly I find myself agreeing that heavier moderation is required. I think, on a forum which is designed amongst other things to attract new fliers, the comment about newbies was ill-judged and probably would not have been made if immediate suspension was the inevitable result.

Let's put that to one side.

I think that one of the things that makes consistent moderation difficult is that often it is self-righteous over-reaction that creates mountains from mole hills. (Please dont drag out past history and splutter that these examples are hardly mole hills. If it helps I will agree that the examples you would have dragged out would clearly prove me wrong, and it saves me dragging out alternative examples). Who is to blame when the inflamed comments from outraged posters are as bad if not worse than the original post? Do we then ban the people responding as well? I dont think I'm the only person that finds the aggressive rants from outraged posters far more difficult to take than the original posts themselves. I dont really know what the answer is, maybe we should have a sin-bin like in ice hockey where all protagonists are sent. If we sent ALL offenders, including responders to the sin bin for a few days would that make all of us a little less quick to fire off a piece of vitriol?

not real name 500 Club

Laurie ,
    I think you may have hit on something there , Ban the aggressor and give any one who responds a 3 day cooling off period. And bear in mind I have been guilty of responding in inappropriate ways myself but still feel that this would be fair.

Cheers Paul.

PS no need to keep giving me credit for the sig I nicked it from some where as well!! Just a pity I don't read it sometimes before I post.

not real name 500 Club

Jeremy, I did laugh at that one :-D

Oscar Wilde is definately one of my heroes.

Jeremy wrote:
    There is merit in encouraging tolerance and reducing over-reaction, as well as in moderating provocative posts. It's easy to take something the wrong way and over-react, making a sensible discussion veer into hostility. I've been prone to this in the past, and one or two here have been quick to exploit this.

Jeremy

PS: The version of that sig that I particularly like is, I believe, attributed to Oscar Wilde and is:

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent"

not real name 500 Club

Jeremy wrote:
    One snag with moderation is that some will always see it as unfair and sometimes it will be unfair. I am fairly sure that there have been times when even Bob the Mod has allowed one or more provocative posters to carry on, just to stir up some "fun" (in fact I know for sure this has been the case in the past).

I agree, the above post quoted is not acceptable in my view, and should have been edited out, but the point made underneath that quote was that flying does not suffer fools gladly, which is a fair statement.

Those who use subtle tactics to wind up others will undoubtedly get away with it, leaving those they have enraged to be censored, perhaps unfairly. One or two will also use the "delete the original post" trick to deliberately cause a bit of mayhem and then sit back and watch the fireworks, secure in the knowledge that the mods can't do anything to them.

Whilst some will regard this forum as a place for sensible debate and light hearted humour, others will treat it as if it was a school playground. I doubt that moderation, or a closed members area, will change that.

Jeremy

You have made your point very well, as usual, Jeremy.

I don't know what the answer is, but I really dislike seeing this, or any, forum used to wind people up. It should always be a means of exchanging ideas and information, and not used to inflate ones own ego at the expense of others.

However banning for a few days has not proved to be a deterrent in the past.

Steve

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Jeremy.

I don't know what the answer is, but I really dislike seeing this, or any, forum used to wind people up. It should always be a means of exchanging ideas and information, and not used to inflate ones own ego at the expense of others.

[/quote]Steve,

It takes two to tango.

Donald

(who grew up in Buenos Aires)

not real name 500 Club

Donald Walker wrote:

Jeremy.

Steve,

It takes two to tango.

Donald

(who grew up in Buenos Aires)

But only one to start it off Donald. [/quote]

To me it seems the answer is now clear and concensus seems to be in favour - have a members area where moderation is light and those that dont mind a bit of robust debate and the odd bit of tongue in cheek or poorly judged humour can indulge. But have the rest of the forum strictly moderated where language and behaviour is tightly controlled. that way if certain characters annoy the hell out of you it isnt necessary to give up the whole forum, and the site should be better as a technical resource, and be more encouraging for newbies (I hate that term..!).

If so which of our headers (if any) would people think better in the mebers area, and which should be definately fully open?

Paul

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast