Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Can anyone who has an BMAA approved electric hangpoint kit fitted to a Blade please respond with their Aircraft Reg details to this thread. My preliminary request for a mod to Kev Armstrongs spec has been questioned by the CTO.

Regards Steve

not real name 500 Club

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Steve you can PM Kev I'm sure he'll give you the redg of his old Blade.

I'm assuming it is still fitted with the mod

MAX

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Thanks Max I zapped him one last night.

Steve

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

G-MZKI (Mainair Rapier) has the Electric Hangpoint adjuster fitted (don't know if this info helps you ?) it was previously owned by the current owner of John Moore's ex Skyranger.

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Thanks Peter. Kev Armstrong has made contact with Ben Syson and things are sorted.

Regards Steve

Diamond geezer 500 Club

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Steve Taft wrote:
    Thanks Peter. Kev Armstrong has made contact with Ben Syson and things are sorted.

Regards Steve

You owe Pete Croney thanks Steve, I rang him from the car when out on business, and Pete helpfully Googled to finish up guiding me onto G-INFO, where a 912 Blade resided, with permit and a photo proudly showing off its electric actuator too; this is Carl Bayliss' Blade on G-MZOR, which has one legally fitted

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodu...01&imgtype=jpg

Guy used to send me the approvals from Deddington every time one was granted on a Blade OR a Rapier; the actuator and brackets all fix entirely to the wing, and the trike is truly irrelevant to its successful operation.

Kev

Diamond geezer 500 Club

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Here's a cut-down set of files for the mod; it's easier than it looks to fit, if stuck just call and I can run thro' what's involved. Cheap to do and pretty easy to fit. You buy the parts yourself, I did this for a hobby, but don't sell anything, just like seeing people improve their aircraft.

The document used to be downloadable from the BMAA Website, but they don't do this any more; shame, as I think all mods should be accessible to all members, if previously approved.

Cheers

Kev

07836 311169

Attached files hi-win-electric-trimmer-modification-part-1.pdf (1.3 MB) hi-win-electric-trimmer-modification-part-2.pdf (1.2 MB)

Wales - Where calls to God are at local rate

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Hi Kev,

I have a Blade 582,

[list type=decimal]
    * Would fitting your Electric hangpoint be of Benefit to my aircraft.

* How or where can I get hold of the mounting bracket for the actuator.[/list type=decimal]
    Regards martin

Diamond geezer 500 Club

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

The mod was originally fitted to a 503 powered trike with Blade wing, as the 503 was a little underpowered. This allowed a decent climb rate, and then you could trim to 'fast' position once you were at cruise altitude for X-Country. With a 503 on the front hole it could take all blooming day to get to height, and on the back hole it flew too slowly, so the mod allowed you to adapt performance for each requirement. It was also handy for two-up flight to slow it down, climb without battering hell out of the engine and fuel consumption.

The machine I first bolted it onto was a Rapier 503, another Scottish chap called Cyril also fitted one to his, then various 912 owners followed. the Rapier was sold to a lad who toured France with it in company with some 912s, so it must have worked well enough.

Cyril rang for a lot of advice which I was happy to chat through with him about, the bracket was intended to be simple and made up in any decent sheet metal or light fabrication shop, just bits of 1/8" or 3mm thick plate bent up and welded together. The drawings are in the recipe, along with photographs to help envisage the desired result. These are accurate engineering standard drawings so the prospective modifier can just print them off A4 sized and hand them to the sheet metal person.

Cyril did an ingenious dodge; the curved shoe that clips to the keel he made by cutting a strip out of a piece of old scaffolding pipe!

One tip; the modification attaches entirely to the wing, only a 12v feed wire goes up from the trike, this was a design feature so that any Blade winged variant (Rapier or Blade 503, 462, 582 or 912) could use the mod. Despite this the Technical office decided to query the fitment to a 912, as it was approved for a 503; however I pointed out that Guy had approved 912 fits in the past, so that obstacle was dropped. They may raise it again with the 582 version, as they seem to leave no pedantic stone unturned...;-)

Cheers

Kev

Any queries I'm on 07836 311169

Wales - Where calls to God are at local rate

ELECTRIC HANGPOINT MOD

Many Thanks for that Kev,

Sounds like I nice MOD I could do with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast