Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade 582 Engine Tips and Hints

Blade 582 Engine Tips and Hints

Hiya there

I've just bought a Blade 582. Could anyone who operates the Rotax 582 engine pass on any hints and tips they have learned regarding the engines operation over and above what is in the handbook.

Thanks

Atcoman :freaked:

not real name 100 Club

I know this is an old post but here goes!
    I was breaking exhaust springs on a regular basis. I know the manual talks about copper greasing the exhaust, but I didn't think it could make much difference. I was wrong! Mark Hilton suggested it might help. After buying some 3 in 1 aerosol copper lube I've not broken another spring! I spray the springs and the union before each day's flying. So far so good.

It's readily available, but from Halfords it's 4.99

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_1 65705_productId_189950_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Shopping-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Engine+Oils+%26+Additives%2FGrease-_-3-in-1+Professional+Anti-Seize+Copper+Grease&source=shopping&istCompanyId=b 8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=lwqpxl&istBid=t

Hi Ian

a good bead of high temp. silicon run along the spring from hook to hook stops them resonating,and if the hooks do snap then it stops the bit going into the prop.
    never had a spring break but i do change them around 100hrs..

john

not real name 500 Club
    Live in Boston, Lincs. Alive when flying, Lincs

I was having starting problems with mine for a while. It would start with swinging the prop but rarely on the starter and certainly not on a second attempt. Coupled with the starter remaining engaged after the first attempt with it, I took the starter apart and cleaned it. Greased the starter pinion, sprayed silicone spray to the flywheel teeth and keep the battery on a battery optimiser when not flying. It starts beautifully every single time now. The confidence of the pax starts with the engine!
    John

I'd always understood it's better to leave the starter pinion bendix dry. That grease would eventually stiffen and/or gather dust until it would seize.
    Dave

not real name 500 Club

All that I can say Dave is that the pinion was already seizing when dry so some sort of lubrication was necessary.
    John

not real name 100 Club

John,

I'm going to give that a shot. The info about resonating sounds logical.

Cheers,

Ian

John McGrath wrote:
    Hi Ian

a good bead of high temp. silicon run along the spring from hook to hook stops them resonating,and if the hooks do snap then it stops the bit going into the prop.
    never had a spring break but i do change them around 100hrs..

john

not real name 100 Club

John,

Last year I was getting a similar starting issue, which ended up with a complete starter motor rebuild at Eccleston Aviation. Most of the static magnets had fell off the starter case and were in bits in the bottom!! If you (SLOWLY AND GENTLY) turn the engine the wrong way you can hear and feel the state of the starter motor. Perfect now, but when the starter had problems it sounded like a bag of spanners!!!

John Otter wrote:
    I was having starting problems with mine for a while. It would start with swinging the prop but rarely on the starter and certainly not on a second attempt. Coupled with the starter remaining engaged after the first attempt with it, I took the starter apart and cleaned it. Greased the starter pinion, sprayed silicone spray to the flywheel teeth and keep the battery on a battery optimiser when not flying. It starts beautifully every single time now. The confidence of the pax starts with the engine!
    John

all my mates have optimisers on their bikes,for years i have been laphing at them,for 6 months my 582 quantum was a pig to start.changed the battery to a high power battery, double checked everything,even swapped the carbs and electrics from my dad's quantum......my mate lent me his optimiser,now it starts a treat.

i've now had to eat 'humble pie !'

and the aircraft battery should last a whole lot longer. the old man has now got an optimiser too.

not real name 500 Club

You were lucky to be able to get a bigger battery fitted Doug; mine is under the keel so I can't insert anything bigger than a 14ah. Anyway, with the use of the optimiser the engine whistles round on start up as if it was an electric motor!
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast