Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BioniX Anyone?

BioniX Anyone?

New "Swing Wing" design from Air creation.
    Seems like they will debut it at Blois this august!

A Variable Geometry wing........ Anyone got more info???

Henry.

P.S Although by calling it "Variable Geometry" does this mean the french have finally figured out how a flexwing works?? :tongue:

.........Marketing speak..........

Attached files

Diamond geezer 500 Club

BioniX Anyone?

Henry Long wrote: New "Swing Wing" design from Air creation.

P.S Although by calling it "Variable Geometry" does this mean the french have finally figured out how a flexwing works?? :tongue:

.........Marketing speak..........
    Variable geometry has been used as a term for flight sail tensioning systems since it was introduced n the early 1980s. Wikipedia (that doesn't mean it's true) credits the introduction to Bob Trampenau of Seedwings USA (he also introduced curved tips to flexwings IIRC).

The BioniX VG seems to be different as it acts by increasing tension at the trailing edge, from the wing root IIRC (well, that was what I saw at Popham?). Not sure if it can be adjusted in flight.

This is different from most VG systems which either simply increase the cross tube tension or work via cams on the end of the cross tubes which move the leading edges forward.

YMMV.

BioniX Anyone?

Yes it does work in flight, and is used as a trim control - has a windie handle on the right A frame.

hanglider VG sytems are not really for speed - rather for increasing glide angle when roll control isnt important (I.e between thermals). they pretty much all do that by lengthening the crossbooms - by pullback or cams, which tensions the wing by reducing sweepback.

The Bionix system tensions the trailing edge which increases sweep, reduces reflex, and flattens the tips having a much more direct affect on speed. The system allows a trim range from 50 to 90 ish MPH. It also keeps roll effort resonsably consistent across the speed range too - most flexwings are very heavy at low speed and overly sensitive at high speed.

The aerofoil profile also changes with camber increasing at low tension. result is that on slow / detensioned setting stall speed remains the same as on the tight / fast setting - whereas normally you would expect lower tension/ increased twist to reduce the overall CL.

Result is a wing with good speed and trim range and consistent handling, and much improved short landing performance compared to wings with comparable cruise speeds.

Paul

Diamond geezer 500 Club

BioniX Anyone?

[quote=Paul Dewhurst]
    Yes it does work in flight, and is used as a trim control - has a windie handle on the right A frame.

hanglider VG sytems are not really for speed - rather for increasing glide angle when roll control isnt important (I.e between thermals). they pretty much all do that by lengthening the crossbooms - by pullback or cams, which tensions the wing by reducing sweepback.

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for clarification. Some of the newer VG system on HGs drop sprog heights, or lengthen luff lines or flatten profiles. One of Trampenau's used to remove the flaps (Sensor 610F). So there are a number of contributions to speed, but majority are, as you say, glide optinmisation.
    The BioniX is a very interesting wing.

BioniX Anyone?

Hey Paul, when is the Bionix going to be available, how much and what is the sail material?

BioniX Anyone?

Test flying done, noise test to do. Manual written and accepted. So really just need to sort the noise test for completion.

Sail upper surface is trilam, UVM leading edge cap cap and trailing edge reinforcement.Dacron undersurafce, Kevlar strap from tip to root. Materials well proven for excellent longevity except the Kevlar, which is a first time appearance on air creation wings.It's twice the density of the Stuff on the PAnd M wings, and 50% wider so should have lots redundancy. The trilam is supposed to be a good UV blocker, so the Kevlar should be protected in that position from Uv from above ( unlike the Kevlar on the quiks where the UV seemed to be penetrating through the dacron) but exactly how long it will last is an unknown. air creation pretty relaxed about it though and don't think it will be a problem... If one were paranoid about reflected UV about 75 % or so of the Kevlar is sandwiched between top and bottom surface, or trailing edge UVM, and the remainder could be covered with insignia cloth ( sticky Dacron) or vinyl.

I have also suggested they try technora instead of the Kevlar, as the UK Market is somewhat sensitive about gold coloured stuff just now!

Paul

BioniX Anyone?

Thanks Paul

I'm presuming that the French have more of an issue with sunshine than we do and therefore have adapted to it possibly better?

It sounds good - but I'm almost scared to ask the price because of the Euro persisting in its strength... I'm guessing you might have some ballpark idea but I can understand if you haven't worked it out completely yet.

BioniX Anyone?

33K ish inc VAT ex works Aubenas, with 912S, keivprop and analogue instruments.

Paul

BioniX Anyone?

Actually that's better than I expected...

thanks

BioniX Anyone?

This is a quality machine at a price that shows good value - If that sort of figure can ever be regarded as such.

You just need to build it! Pleasure for some I know but my opinion is itís a shame we canít buy a European built machine straight off the production line with all the back-up etc that entails.

Shame Air Creation doesnít get UK approval for their factory Ė Or better still Paul? - But I suppose the cost would be too high Ė Iíll get my spanners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast