Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you load a hang glider wing on to the top of a van, single-handed?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

How do you load a hang glider wing on to the top of a van, single-handed?

More glider riders here:

http://remoraracks.com/index.php?page=5

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Had to do this for real recently -- since this thread started I found a tip in a USA forum that works nicely for me:

[list type=decimal][*]Attach ladder to left side of roofrack (I use a 12' four-section one so I can fold up the rear to allow my hatchback to open fully when the wing is not on).
    [*]Put a steel rod (about a meter long) through one of the rungs of the ladder roughly above the wing mirror so it sticks out (overhangs) a couple of feet, above the mirror.
    [*]Move the wing parallel to and alongside the left of the car.
    [*]Lift the end of the wing that will be at the front and place it on the rod.
    [*]Lift the other end up onto the ladder.

* Swing the front end of the wing onto the ladder, and remove the rod.[/list type=decimal]
    This method means that one is only lifting about half the weight of the wing and the other end is stably supported by the ground or the rod at all times.

Mike

Hey that sounds brilliantly simple Mike - I guess all the best ideas are. By the way Band Q sell a folding 4 section ladder that I considered buying as it would fold up and go in the boot. The idea was that I would have it, and the roof rack bits, and the wing bag and trike bag, all in one corner of the garage. If I got stuck out somewhere on a long XC, all I would need to do would be to persuade Janet to load it all into the car and drive to me
    Mike

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Yes I wish I could say I'd thought of it myself. :-)

The B&Q ladder is exactly the one I have -- happened to already have it, so it was a no-brainer.

Refinement is to add some pipe insulation to half the rod. I'll take a picture and post it.

Mike

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Picture as promised.

Attached files

Great ideas. I was always told to mount the wing on the right of the car though, so the ends are less likely to swing into pedestrians and cyclists during turns.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Hmm, interesting thought. Given it sticks out less than a metre at the front of the car there is very little chance I'd be that close to a pedestrian or cyclist (I hope!) during a turn. At the back it overhangs the trailer, so no chance of contact there.

Putting it on the right would seem to have the disadvantage that one is loading or unloading it into the middle of the road/taxiway. It would also be immediately in front of and just above the driver -- distracting. And when stopping in a layby to check straps, etc., one would be standing on the traffic side of the car, rather than on the nearside.

Mike

Diamond geezer 500 Club

I had seen this once in Annecy - this might work for you.

The one I saw was a German version customised for HG.

Web Page:

Safe and Easy Loading Kayak and Canoe Roof Rack

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123