Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you load a hang glider wing on to the top of a van, single-handed?

How do you load a hang glider wing on to the top of a van, single-handed?

thanks very much, guys. Peter, I like the idea of rolling the ladder over a roller - in fact I have a few of ythose royal mail parvel conveyor ones. Wonder how much heavier the wing will feel with the ladder on?

I fixed 2 alu tube J pices on the side of my van so only had to lift the glider on one end at a time about 5ft just clear of the door, or on the pax side a bit lower.
    Another scheme was a 12inch plastic drain tube, or bell mouthed Alu tube, about 8 or 9 ft long .
    , fixed on the roof rack. raise one end of the glider into the mouth, lift the other end and slide in.Overhang about 3 ft at the back, 6 ft at the front.A jury strut from the front bumper helps, but you MUST wind a tightish belt round the glider at each end of the tube and tie it, or you will lose it. If it starts to slide try not to brake any more or it can shoot ou in front of you
    wilyflier

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Simon Murphy does a little two wheeled trailer for moving HG or bagged flwexwings around.

http://www.turfhouse.com/acatalog/co...cessories.html

For putting the wing on the van there is a very expenive but easy German unit desinged for vans that allows you to place the wing on the rack halfway down the van then flip it onto the top.

Designed for a VW van but can work elsewhere. I can't find the info now but will post it if I doas it's a superb piece of kit.

Walk to the rear of the wing when it is on the ground lift by the wing tips,and wlak under it with the nose on the ground and wing on which ever shoulder you prefer. Once you are far enough under the wing it will be very easy to just rotate it up onto your shoulder. Walk to your car (side) with the nose of the glider to the rear of the car allow the nose to come up over the roof bar (padded of course) at approx 25 to 30 degrees to the side of the car rest the nose of the glider over the roof rack allowing the weight to come down onto the rack then simply edge yourself back towards the wing tips and when far enough back walk into the side of the car and place the tips of the glider over the front bar. I would suggest it is absolutely neccesary to fit a glider rider to any wing being transported for a number of reasons not only for security but to stop wing flexing and it also stops the roof bars being twisted and flexed in directions they are not designed to be twisted and flexed in.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

William,

Quick question, what is a 'glider rider'? When I googled it I found a video game and a child's bike, but nothing that could support a flexwing.

Best regards,

Bob Hood

Whew you are right Bob - it took some finding, but I knew it was there since I've bought one (very good too).
    http://www.turfhouse.com/acatalog/co..._supports.html
    Mike

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Bob Hood BMAA 3300 wrote:
    Quick question, what is a 'glider rider'? When I googled it I found a video game and a child's bike, but nothing that could support a flexwing.
    Link in previous post, picture here, give Simon Murphy a ring on 01404 891685.

or single:

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Mike, Steve,

I've seen something similar that a bloke knocked up, but that was connected to the top of the front bumper rather than sitting on the bonnet. Bit difficult with modern cars as the bumper is just a rounded front on the bodywork, so I suppose a bonnet supported item is about all you can do really. I would still worry that I would end up with a large shallow dent in the bonnet though.

Best regards,

Bob Hood

HI Bob there are several ways of attaching glider riders to your car fron using the towing eye bolt to fitting brackets through the grill. I have even made a system that attatches behind the number plate and stays on the vehicle with two support brackets that the glider rider attaches to when required I have probably made around six or seven different types of attachmentthe easiest is the sucker system I use the glazing type suckers as they are designed to get a good firm grip as they are used sideways normally but they do mark the paint work of the bonnet.
    What type of car do you have and i will see if I have anything suitable lying around?

Diamond geezer 500 Club

William,

I was interested in what a glider rider was, I don't have an interest in owning one. I don't normally transport my wings anywhere, they live rigged in my hangar, and if they do need to be moved in their wingbags then they go on the roof of my Volvo estate, with one roof bar fitted right at the front and one right at the back, and supported on a ladder.

Best regards,

Bob Hood

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast