Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AX3 Take Off / Landing Performance

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

AX3 Take Off / Landing Performance

Having recently done my monthly nosey session on Roger's Blog for G-MYRO I have noticed that he is considering using a 'new airstrip' in Kent. (Kent in SE England, not 'Kent' in Cambridgeshire :rofl: )

He seems concerned about take off distances for his 503 powered AX3 :freaked: and also landing distances due to Obstacles & Foliage !!!

So Roger.... What length have you got available in the field and what height are the obstacles !!!

I would happily take off from 250m as long as I had 100m before the trees assuming the trees are 80ft or less and would happily land in 275m over 80ft trees.

As you know the AX3 is a great short field performer. I remember watching Joan demonstrate a short field take off in GMYHM it was amazing. the only thing that I have seen off shorter was a Fiesler Storch.
    Although one factor that should be taken into account is the engine failure on take off options when selecting a field remembering the low speed and nose high attitude needed to get best climb.
    I was fortunate enough to act as ballast when Gary, our inspector, did HMs check flight the other day, we went right around the edges of the envelope and I have never been in an AX at those attitudes before. It was brilliant, both Gary and I had huge grins that didn't go away for hours, what a fun aeroplane.

Ginge

Ginge Sunley wrote: As you know the AX3 is a great short field performer. I remember watching Joan demonstrate a short field take off in GMYHM it was amazing. the only thing that I have seen off shorter was a Fiesler Storch.
    Although one factor that should be taken into account is the engine failure on take off options when selecting a field remembering the low speed and nose high attitude needed to get best climb.
    I was fortunate enough to act as ballast when Gary, our inspector, did HMs check flight the other day, we went right around the edges of the envelope and I have never been in an AX at those attitudes before. It was brilliant, both Gary and I had huge grins that didn't go away for hours, what a fun aeroplane.

Ginge
    Ginge, the figures I quoted are taken with the aircraft in FB mode and that probably equates to a 30% increase in take off run !!! Flying it in FB mode does tend to show how good a performer the AX3 really is.

I was surprised that the AX3 was a 'real' flying machine and not some mamby pamby microlight that forgives every single (f)muck up the pilot makes.
    :nono:

not real name 500 Club

Peter, I can't be too specific about the location because it belongs to a friend of mine and he likes to keep his stuff fairly private - can't blame him really. I've done a couple of postings about the location and the earlier one gave some distances all of which are short, no doubt about it. Tony H-S added a comment last time and I mentioned that there are a couple of gaps in the trees - the biggest one is the whole of the western side which allows an almost totally unobstructed approach from that direction onto about 200yds with a slight upslope and the other is on the north/north-eastern side which gives an approach onto a shorter distance but with a run-off or a mound to run onto to assist stopping.

All the distances really are short - the main attraction of the place obviously is that it belongs to a friend.

I'm still waiting for him to let me know if I can go on there and if he gives me the nod I'll give it a go not the least because I'll have somewhere where I can get MYRO's wings back on and get all the other formalities sorted out. The very worst is that I'd have to wait for a good westerly wind to get it out and take it somewhere else.

Don't laugh, but you may have seen that I made a test scenery in Flight Simulator X to test the field out (FS scenery design is something I used to do quite a bit) and I also adapted a microlight model (a Challenger) to fly very much like the AX3. It was that really that convinced me that I might be being a bit over-optimistic about using the place as a regular base. Sad but true in more ways than one, eh ;-)

BTW Peter, I'd estimate that none of the trees is more than 40/50 feet high and most are say 30 footish let's say. But as Tony said, even with trees of that height on approach, it's surprising how much of the landing space you lose because of the approach angle.

Roger,
    I asked for available TORA /LDA and not the exact location :nono: I don't want to know where in Kent !!! (Kent is a huge county, it extends up into Cambridgeshire so I am told )

I understand the secrecy of the site is paramount to your use of it, I also noticed James Bond 007 lurking in the trees in your FS scenery, suppose he was looking for Pussy Galore
    ( I know I found Pussy Galore in Kent whenever I was there :yeah: )

Anyway, 50ft trees shouldn't be a problem in most cases, but if your longest run is only 200yds then it will only be a strong into wind site :freaked:

I am assuming you are considerably lighter than me (90% of the UK population are, thankfully only 3% of the American population is) so you should be able to get a 700fpm rate of climb in nil wind ( I managed 550fpm in 15kts headwind)

Flying through gaps in trees can cause rotor effects that will toss you off course, so not a wise move :nono:

I thought your FS Scenery was quite true to form based on the photos and converting a QC Challenger for the AX3 was almost poetic justice :lol:

Peter, would you explain to us simple microlighters just what a "mamby pamby microlight" is?
    Will they have one at Birmingham (NEC) this year? I may be interested......

Best wishes, KW

Peter Kelsey (Ferryair) BMAA 6668 wrote:
    Ginge, the figures I quoted are taken with the aircraft in FB mode and that probably equates to a 30% increase in take off run !!! Flying it in FB mode does tend to show how good a performer the AX3 really is.

I was surprised that the AX3 was a 'real' flying machine and not some mamby pamby microlight that forgives every single (f)muck up the pilot makes.
    [IMG]/forums/emoticons/nono.gif[/IMG]

[/quote]

not real name 500 Club

Right, a bit more info then. Take a look at the attachment - it doesn't show the whole property just the area that I'm interested in.

06/24 is only 175 yds but at C there's a large gap in the trees/bushes and only a very low fence (3 ft). If you were approaching on 24 you could land and then continue running on towards E, but you couldn't start from E because you'd be going too fast to make the turn onto 06 - it's not like Stoke! And you wouldn't land on 06 - you'd go for 08. There are trees/bushes say 30ft high along the length B.

08/26 is the longest at 250 yds but in the corner on 08 between A and B there are trees up to say 35/40ft high. If you landed on 26 you would be be on a slight downslope but unless you're very hot if you needed to, you could make the turn on the ground for the run off towards E.

11/29 is about 200 yds. Approach is almost unobstructed at D but at A you have trees up to about 50ft. There is also a slight upslope from D towards A.

At F there is a hump that you could use to help stopping if coming from a northerly direction but personally I'd prefer the run off. Obviously there are no markings so all the runway 'headings' are my own. The grass is always kept cut down to a medium length - not 'sheep short' but not long. There are a few local neighbours close by but none directly affected and so long as you make the trees, youd have no problem finding a landing with an AFOT.

Bit small innit :smile:

Kevin, rumour has it that the Mamby Pamby is the baby brother to the Kid :turn: Trouble is it's so small nobody can get into it

Attached files

Crikey Roger,
    Understanding that fried what few brain cells I had left, but I think I got there in the end :shakehead:

I think I will stick to the simple idea of if it looks too short it probably is !! the distances you claim are certainly do-able, but I think it will be quite challenging :yeah:

Oh by the way I would have loved to fly it in for you, but I am too busy on the day you want it flown in :nono: "oh you never stated a date, lemme check.... yep busy that day too" :rofl:

not real name 500 Club

Peter, the upside is that as I mentioned on my blog my friend himself thought that it would be too small an area and he then dropped me a bombshell before leaving for China that it didn't matter as he had another piece of land nearby :smile:

I've not had a chance to talk to him since so I know nothing about it right now. Obviously I can't bank on it so I'm casting around a bit.

Kevin Woods wrote: Peter, would you explain to us simple microlighters just what a "mamby pamby microlight" is?
    Will they have one at Birmingham (NEC) this year? I may be interested......

Best wishes, KW
    There will lots of Mamby Pamby (Namby Pamby) microlights at the NEC this year :yeah:

Read definition in MF article.

Attached files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast