Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FUSELAGE CRACKS

FUSELAGE CRACKS

[3][/3]

[3]Having recently removed the front wing saddle from the fuselage (G MZGF) I have discovered the dreaded cracks (3) that some of you may have already sorted. I am of course dealing with my LAA Inspector, however, the LAA are finding it difficult to refer me to someone who has had this Mod approved (their last correspondence referred me to a Cessna registration??) Can anyone kindly provide me with the details of an approved modification and/or refer me to where I might be able to source a Mod. Also the holes in both leading edge roots and front saddle (where the locating pins go through) need bushing. The saddle bushing looks straightforward, but I would be interested to talk to who may have tackled the leading edge wing root holes. Any info would be useful. Thank you.[/3]

FUSELAGE CRACKS

Roger
    One Sluka that had the Main Boom Mod was G-MZOI owned by Brian Finch and based at the moment in Kemble.
    As I recall it was the official PFA(LAA) Mod and would have been done about 4 years ago.
    Brian might help if you e-mail him at bspfinch@googlemail.com
    If that fails then let me know and I'll talk to his Inspector who carried out the Mod.
    Regards
    Gerry

FUSELAGE CRACKS

Thanks Gerry, I have mailed him.

not real name 500 Club

FUSELAGE CRACKS

I'm fairly sure that if you have cracks you have to renew the boom tube. Cracks are a no-no and will grow to failure.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

FUSELAGE CRACKS

I seem to recall that there was a repair scheme that involved stop drilling and sleeving, but I can't recall the detail. I understand the fuse tubes are no longer available from Letov as they have been out of production for a while.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I suppose that you could try to contact owner getting the contacts from GINFO as there are a fair number about, including our own chairman, Keith Negal

Ginge

not real name 500 Club

FUSELAGE CRACKS

I once ask Guy why round boom tubes were used in microlights. He replied that it was purely "habit" - I still have the letter. I think there is a strong case for using square section ones with radiused corners. It would be dead easy to convert the Sluka to square section - apart fron the engine mount system, but that could easily be changed to something like that fitted to the AX 3-axis micros (done already on one I hear). It would be a great pity to see the Sluka sink without trace over such a "minor" issue. It is a little belter. However, getting it through the mod approval process would kill it stone dead. The sleeving and stop drilling repair proposed by Sluka when the problem appeared was thown out by the LAA.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

FUSELAGE CRACKS

The only microlight that I recall seeeing with a square section tube was the old Scout so I'd alway assumed that there was good reason. As a matter of interest is the tube the same dia as a Thruster? They are certainly similar, and I'm sure that Thruster would supply an undrilled tube is asked, they are a pretty helpful lot. Failing that they may be able to put you onto a supplier of such tubes, as you say a Sluka is too good an aircraft to let go of easily

Ginge

FUSELAGE CRACKS

Very interesting (as always) to hear your views comments gents. My correspondance with LAA have resulted in me receiving drawings from them for a mod which has already been used on one Sluka. I have also spoken to an engineering company who have successfully mod'd G MZOX fuse tube (with a different mod procedure to same problem) and fitted a 503 to it. Ginge, I will measure my mates Thruster fuse today, could be simpler.
    I will let you know how I progress and once again thanks

not real name 500 Club
    Norwich, Norfolk - Flying from Beccles in Suffolk

FUSELAGE CRACKS

Hi Roger, the Shadow has a round boom tube which may be suitable as well. Danny Crosbie has stock and can be contacted on 07966 176080. Good luck - am looking forward to seeing the Sluka in the air again!

not real name 500 Club

FUSELAGE CRACKS

Roger, can you describe the mod for the engine mount ? And I am definitely keen to hear about that 503 on a Sluka as well. Should I need to change mine I would go for that option for the dual ignition alone. The tube bore is about 89mm with the OD about 92mm (ish). Another mod I would like to pursue on the Sluka is to alter the main axles to have the wheels run in ball bearings rather than aluminium bushes and have disc (bicycle) brakes on them. The front brake on the Sluka is ok but as Guy said also, it imparts a fair bit of strain into the framework. Brakes on the main wheels would certainly improve its manoeuvring turning circle to maybe three feet instead of 60ft !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast