Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: charging (light) problem

not real name 100 Club

charging (light) problem

I have an intermittent problem with the charging system on my 912 quik. Started about 20 flying hours ago when about an hour into a flight the green charging light changed to red, then cycled through red / green with red showing for a few seconds each time then went back to green for remainder of flight. Since then there have been several flights where this hasn't happened at all but others where the light has cycled red - off - green for a minute or so before going back to green.

It's not done this on the ground, when I have checked the charging output everything is in spec. I have removed and cleaned up the earth connections, replaced the commoning block section and fuse holder but still doing it.

Any one else had this or ideas on what to look at next?

regards

dave

PS

I am only running an A3, flydat and 296 from the aircraft power

not real name 100 Club

charging (light) problem

Dave, Ive no relavent experience of the 912, but in general................ Generator coils can sometimes suffer intermitant break down that only shows when they've reached operating tempratures
    or possibly an iffy bit of wiring/connection, a dodgy battery would probably just get worse and worse though if its plate sulfation then its possible that vibration could loosen the deposits and cause partial recovery again giving an intermitant fault (highly unlikely imo)

Diamond geezer 500 Club

charging (light) problem

Dave,

Have you asked P+M or Skydrive? They may have experienced this before and know what to look for.

Best regards,

charging (light) problem

Dave,

Chances are its a fault with the charge light itself, I've seen a few over the years doing odd things when everything else has checked out fine and in each instance the replacement of the charge light has solved the problem. As Bob said, give P&M a call.

Craig.

not real name 100 Club

charging (light) problem

thanks for the replies,

P&M contacted new light ordered and I'll let you know if that solves it.

Cheers

Dave

charging (light) problem

Hi Dave,
    had the same problem myself, and 'cured it' last weekend by unclipping the wires going to the master switch and the charging light, cleaning the connections, and ensuring that there was some 'give' in the wires, as they were pulled very tight and cable tied, with no free play.(I had previously thought the issue was with the commoning block, but cleaning up the connections there had no effect).

Regards

Brian Goldsmith

not real name 100 Club

charging (light) problem

Thanks Brian,

I'll try that. if it works I'll have a spare light then

;-)

Dave

Senior Member 100 Club

charging (light) problem

:jumpin: Hi Mate,

Had the same problem on my GT450, i went through two bulbs, now the one i have from P&M works ok, not had the problem since.

GT

Rather belatedly to follow on this thread, but yesterday after all was well on the preflight checks, I noticed that after take off, the charging light on my Quik 912S was glowing bright red. I returned to the airfield and as I throttled back, the light turned green. Ground testing showed that, the green charging light changed to red at 2800 rpm, and returned when the revs dropped below this. Any advice please.
    John G-MRJJ

Senior Member 500 Club
    What is happening here is that the voltage from the regulator is cutting out at high revs. If this were a car, I would be looking at a blown diode in the regulator, together with a possibly faulty battery. Find somebody with a variable power supply that gives 0 to 20 volts (Plenty of us about.) Ask them to power up your LED module and tell you what the switching voltages are between red, yellow (if it does) and green. That will confirm the lamp works properly. If it does, the regulator needs a Hard Stare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast