Kiss 450; Rigging.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiss 450; Rigging.

Bought G-KIZZ amonth ago, and have done 20hrs or so. I'm having such problems rigging and de-rigging, that I may have to sell it. It takes the strenght of a burly navvy to lift the keel off the pylon. I lift the bar to about hip-height, and then push back with all my strenght; is there an easier way, or an optimum height to lift the bar before pushing back? I'm a puny 5' 7" and 9 1/2 stone. How about stopping it tipping back; do you anchor the front wheel or, having chocked the rear wheels, have something to brace to rear against? Hope someone can help.

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Hi David,
    congratulations on buying G-KIZZ, she's a great machine.
    This isn't going to be massively helpful, because I can't remember specifics, but when I owned her I used to drop the wing and hobble overnight with no problem that I can remember. I'd give Flylight a call or better still fly in if you're local(ish) and get them to show you the technique, but it's definitely not as easy as a gas-strut assisted Quantum though! :smilewinkgrin:
    I seem to recall that a full jerry can on the seat was essential to prevent tipping...
    Best of luck - worth persevering!

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Thanks, Gary. I plan to visit Flylight soon, anyway. A friend has a Kiss with a binnacle, and it is much easier; he is able to put a foot on the brake to prevent tipping, and can stand astride the binnacle, giving him much better leverage when pushing back the bar. Maybe a few visits to the gym might help too...

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

May I also recommend the Charles Atlas course. Not only will it stop bullies throwing sand in your face, it's also guaranteed to get you the beautiful girl ;-)

.................................................. .

Anyone remember that? Takes you back a bit eh.... :turn:

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Easiest is to have a helper push against the prop as you lift. The cation is to lift and push back, with front strut over you shoulder, then it lifts up without a huge ffeort and front strut drops on the hole in the keel.

To do it by yourself you need to stop the machine rolling backwards and nose coming up. One owner uses a syrup around the brake pedal that he then stands on. Gary's method with chicks and a jerry can in the seat sounds like it will work fine too, but haven't tried it myself.

Paul

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Hi Paul,
            your spelling and/or spell checker has developed an even better sense of humour I reckon! Either that or there's some very strange rigging aids and attractive helpers required!
            Cheers,
            Paul.

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

hehehe love it!
              Graham Jefferies
              BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm flying again today, so I will try them out. Not sure about syrup around the brake pedal, but a chick with a gerry can sounds good - I'm just worried that if either has a dirty bottom, it could mark my seat.

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

keep it up guys, smiles are good for the soul.....
                  Graham Jefferies
                  BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

So no takers for the Charles Atlas course then? Only downside I can see is it makes your willy go all diagonal in your swimming trunks but aside from that it seems to have everything going for it :turn:

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Ann, ( tried to write ahh), this wretched apple I pad thingie, has a bit of a mind of it's own, and respells anything avaition when you are not looking. My fat fingers are unreliable enough hitting the keys without some smart arse program thinking it knows best - I have a wife for that..

Paul

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Flown most days this week. A couple of 5-litre containers of water placed over the pedals has kept the nose down, but in nil-wind I will just have to accept that rigging is a gut-busting excercise. Small consolation for my impending double-rupture is the entertainment I give some of my salad-dodging fellow flyers during these twice-daily cabarets.

Comment

Kiss 450; Rigging.

Hi, I recently bought a Kiss 400 and have kept it de-rigged between flights. Lifting the wing up is a pain as you say, the front lifts up and the trike moves back. Last rigging all on my own I put a full 20litre gerry can on the front seat, front brake on and used a length of wood to chock the rear wheels - it went up a treat. It actually does say to put something on the front seat in the manual.

My biggest pain is getting the centre batten/former in, I've had to do this before inseting the king post but find its still quite difficult.

And I got a little turn to the right, something to do with the end of the leading edges being able to turn I think.

A visit to Flylight is on the cards - Ive been trying to get there since the flying show last year but work gets in the way.

Comment

Working...
                          X