Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Tanarg assistance anyone?

Hello all

The Tanarg has a brilliant feature which might be possible to crib for a project; its gas main struts.

I'm trying to source a gas shock for the Quik front end, but the suitable units are all too great a diameter, which means extending the mounting top bracket, giving the Tech Office a peach excuse to refuse approval.

If I can dig one out less than 33.5 diameter this isn't a problem and the approval hassle is confined to the shock unit itself; the Quik's standard shock (which Paul D kindly advised is also used on Air Creation kit) cannot be preloaded, so on a fully-loaded GT450 around two thirds of the 29mm suspension travel is gobbled up just taking up the weight, leaving just 10mm of shock travel left to soak up bumps. As Mick Broom observed when giving valuable tips on suspension design, the static sag should be 10mm leaving 20mm to do the job of protecting the aircraft from bumps.

The design precludes using a different spring, and for weeks I've been subjecting a brand new unit bought from PM to all sorts of load tests to see if can be improved. Either it goes coilbound with a longer spring, or isn't progressive enough to soak up landing energy.

However IF something like the main gear gas struts can be bought separately that are used on the Tanarg, and adapted by adding another rose joint it just might be what I've been searching for.

Does anyone have the knowledge on these units? They can be preloaded with a shock pump judging by the inflation nipple. Who makes them? I could contact the manufacturer and see if one of their range can be adapted

Yours in hope

Kev A

PS forget the car type gas struts, they are too damped and designed to produce a near constant force - this needs to be progressive

PPS I tried Fournales, Fox and Hagon-none go down to that size.
    G-KEVA
    BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Tech Tanarg assistance anyone?

Kev what about Íhlins? They make shocks for snowmobiles, motorbikes etc and they may have something for you.

Also have you thought about the shocks used on high end moutainbikes? Some of the serious downhill racing bikes have some chunky suspension and shocks.

Comment

Kev,

Have you ever thought of going into Microlight designing ? it would seem that whatever microlight you buy, you just feel the need to tinker and try and better the machine.

Is it something to do with an overzealous mechanical mind that you always have to be looking for tweaks for your microlight ? don't get me wrong.... I think it is great that you do these things !!! your chaser was an absolute peach from what I saw at Spamfield one year, but to have what is/was the best in the P&M range and then look for ways to improve it seems slightly taboo.

Strangely if you changed your wing for a Quik R wing would your Quik become a Quik R (SEEING AS THE WING IS THE AIRCRAFT ?)

Probably being silly with that comment, but have been too sensible recently :yeah:

Comment

The air creation shocks are Fournales Kev so probably too big.

Paul

Comment

Quick thanks to Andrew Marks for his steer on the plus and minus points of gas shocks; I've worked out one way to beef up the standard unit without going the gas strut route, hopefully it may be useful for Tanarg applications as well as the Quik/GT450, seeing as they use the same unit.

Bit chuffed that Paul appears to like the idea, his opinion is one that counts; although I fly a Quik maybe Flylight can make use of this; approval might be easier to sort on the Tanarg as it is a kit machine.

Piccy below of the shock before and after upgrade

Kev

Attached files
          G-KEVA
          BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Working...
          X