MYRO looking good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MYRO looking good

I have just looked into your blog Roger, congratulations MYRO is looking gorgous. How much longer before she's back where she belongs? I look forward to meeting up at Stoke sometime, hopefully not too far in the future.

By the way we are thinking of replacing our screen, just to save me the journey to Jenkins is the lexan thickness 1.5 or 2mm?

Ginge

MYRO looking good

Thanks Ginge. But I can tell you, it gets harder by the year. Last time I could squeeze myself in and out of the cabin upside down if necessary, no problem. Now it's a bit more difficult. I think that somehow it must have shrunk during the re-build. Probably still OK for a young shaver like you though :turn:

If the weather holds good, hope to be done in a fortnight. Just have to whip the trailing edge tube and aileron up to Chris Draper so he can give me the go-ahead to start on the wing. I also want to take the rear cover off the fuselage so I can give it a good clean and put a couple of stitches into the side seam near the door opening which were worn by dozens of students climbing in and out. Should have done it first time round really but I just stuck a patch over. Now I think it's worth the extra effort as it's looking not too bad overall.

Yup, the screen is 1.5mm Macrolon. I got mine from below

http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co...mm-p-1406.html

Good service. They sent me a second sheet (no charge) this time because the first sheet that arrived had been scuffed either when it was packed or in transit. Can't fault them and very good price. And I tell you what - this time I'm going to fit and put the mod through for the second tank at the same time as the re-permit is done. I want to try and get a bit of serious flying in once MYRO's back in the air - I've been grounded too long and need some time back up there :smilewinkgrin:

Roger

Comment

MYRO looking good

Many thanks for that Roger, I'm looking forward to meeting you and MYRO if you are extending your wings you could call in to see us at North Weald sometime.

I call still haul my rickety frame in an AX but as for fitting into the nose of the pod or similar if I get in it's the devils own job crawling back out, the other weekend I though that I might suffer the indignity of being pulled out by my feet. Fortunatly the syndicate has a young lithe chap who fits in quite well.

Ginge

Comment

MYRO looking good

I thought MYRO had been reduced to a BOOK?

Comment

MYRO looking good

I still think that Roger should charge for the apparent gratuitous borrowing of his registation. bit of a cheek isn't it

Ginge

Comment

MYRO looking good

I met and chatted with the author (?) at Popham and told them then that they would shortly be hearing from my Solicitor re my share of the royalties.... :turn:

Comment

MYRO looking good

Thanks for the tip about the plastic supplier Roger. I just bought a sheet of polycarbonate to redo my doors - excellent service, delivered two days after order.

Rick

Comment

MYRO looking good

Yeah, great sevice, I have been using these guys for years in the work shop when replacing windscreens and door windows.

Comment

MYRO looking good

It was a very special day for me today because I completed all of the work on MYRO, which is now ready for permit inspection. It's been a long uphill slog and it might well not have happened without the help and generosity of a fellow BMAA member. When word of the accident got around, I was contacted by Ray Bowden from the Devon and Somerset Microlight Club at a time when I was at my lowest ebb after the accident and was almost ready to give up. Having spent several months only a year or so before doing my original renovation of MYRO, I didn't know what to do next and was in fact ready to concede that MYRO was a write-off. Ray said that I shouldn't think like that and that there would be a way somehow to 'make it rise like a phoenix from the ashes' (his words), which I did not think would be possible at the time. He said that since he had acquired G-MYSO, another elderly AX3, he had been collecting parts as they had become available and that he would be happy to give me the parts that I needed to get MYRO back into the air again. I was deeply touched by such a gesture from someone who had until then been a complete stranger and it did so much to pick me up at the time and get me back thinking positively again.

The rest is now history. I am deeply indebted to Ray, who I have still only met the once, and I look forward when the time comes to making my first trip down to the West Country in MYRO to visit him on his home turf. He also made me promise to do the Fly-UK next year, me in MYRO and him in MYSO, and I rashly agreed, so we'll have to wait and see on that one. He did it this year with Tom Brearley in Tom's Thruster so clearly he hasn't learnt any lessons from flying what I guess what must have been the slowest aircraft in the event!

Here are a few shots showing where I started from and what MYRO looks like as of today.

It's taken nearly another 5 months and it hasn't been easy as I had more to do than the first time. And I don't think I'd even have started it if Ray hadn't contacted me in the first place. As it is I think MYRO is now better than it was first time round so I at least have the consolation of knowing that some good has come out of what was at the time a major personal disaster.

Roger

Comment

MYRO looking good

Absolutly beautiful Roger, congratulations

Ginge

Comment

MYRO looking good

You've done a very nice job there Roger, very best wishes for a Perfect Permit! What a very nice chap Ray is, I don't know him but he's the one who got you going again in the very best spirit of microlighting. Well done to both of you.

Comment

MYRO looking good

Thanks Ginge and John. Yes, Ray sorted me out with the two replacement cabin floor tubes, a set of forks and nose wheel, a trailing edge and an aileron that I was able to use to repair the old one. Not only am I grateful to him for that but I also so appreciated his encouragement and shear enthusiasm just when I needed it. There are some great people in microlighting and we often forget that when we see all the fluff and nonsense blowing around, especially near Council election time, and Ray's one of the good guys in my book.

Roger

Comment

MYRO looking good

Come on Roger, dont hurt my feelings.

(There are some great people in microlighting and we often forget that when we see all the fluff and nonsense blowing around, especially near Council election time, and Ray's one of the good guys in my book).

TV

Comment

MYRO looking good

She looks absolultly FAB Roger, look forward to seeing you down here some time.

If the 2 AX2000's here and the other Red and White AX3 that I am about the put out on the field here are all still parked outside, it will be a great sight to see you and Ray here as well with them all parked together.

Fly safe and now enjoy.

Regards
                            Mark Jones

Comment

MYRO looking good

Mark, thanks for your help, advice and encouragement too. When people like me have the kind of set-back that I did it helps a lot to talk with someone like you who's got such a huge 'Can-Do' approach to problems. And when you came back with the news that the engine hadn't been shock-loaded that was a huge relief. Mind you, my first relief was finding that you hadn't flogged it to someone in the meantime :rofl: Thanks a lot mate.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X