Open cockpit AX3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open cockpit AX3?

I know it's allowed to fly AX3 with the doors off and I toyed with trying it some time this summer (if it comes back again).

Has anybody on here done it? Does it change the flight characteristics in any noticeable way?

I do it in the Thruster and it's fun; I'd like to think it is in the AX3 too.

Joan

Open cockpit AX3?

Can I tag on to Joans post and ask the same question of a standard Xair please.

Richard

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

Just to let you know, I've received a PM from Roger Mole who tells me that his AX3 was test flown on behalf of BMAA tech office with the doors off. Apparently it achieved the full flight schedule satisfactorily.

In the same message, he tells me that he always flies his current mount in France (an X'Air) without doors. Apparently, in France at least, they are considered an optional extra.

Hope that helps chaps.

Joan

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

I know a guy that flew his ax2000 no doors,he said it was fine but a bit noisy

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

The Leic microlight clubs AX200 has no doors or fuselarge cover on it and I have flown an AX 2000 without doors but in Jan was far to cold even for a shortened circuit.

TV

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

I am the guy that flies without doors on the AX2000. I hasten to add that I only do it in summer tho'!

Handling is no different to with doors on but I have noticed an increase in fuel consumption (not very much and I haven't got any figures to back it up), which corresponds to the breeze around the cockpit and when elbows are inadvertently pushed into the slipstream.

As long as maps are secured, I enjoy the freedom of being able to look behind, the greater feedback when not on the ball with rudder and the fresh air around. Seems quite claustrophobic when doors go back on.

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

That is just what we do with our T600 Thruster , it's a great feeling isn't it, and you we have a slight increase in fuel consumption as well. The draught on the cheeks when out of balance reminds me of flying a Challenger, another aircraft that is sensertive to rudder misuse. It was easier to fly doors off anyway, something to do with the bulged doors giving a poorer airflow around the tail. Without doors though and with its pusher prop the slip ball was redundant, nicely in trim the front seat was draught free but you could feel the slightest bit of being out of balance, that was fun flying

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

Terry Viner wrote: The Leic microlight clubs AX200 has no doors or fuselarge cover on it and I have flown an AX 2000 without doors but in Jan was far to cold even for a shortened circuit.
                ITYM it was too cold for a 3 axis pilot used to cabin heat..... could it be colder than a flexie at the same speed? ;-)

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

Well he did have a very large fan up the front rto prevent him over heating

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

Mac's school at Popham used to fly the Ax3 with the doors off in the summer, it alters the ASI etc due to the slight vacuum in cockpit area which effects the static air pressure on the instruments, otherwise it was ok . I forget how much it altered the numbers being nearly 20 years ago. I have owned a TST - great fun to fly and I still have the CFM Shadow and just bought a AX3.

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

Three of my favourite aircraft to fly there Tim, you obviously enjoy your flying :-)

Comment

Open cockpit AX3?

I have now flown an AX3 without doors and I found as described earlier in the tread, handling , unafected, fuel consuption up from 12ltrs per hour to 15ltrs and the ASI over reading, the indicated 55mph by calculation seemed nearer to 50mph. Suprisingly despite the larger windscreen the draught in the cockpit was only slightly less my beloved TST.

So as long as you are aware of those things flying without doors will give you no problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X