G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Got enough of a window in the weather to get MYRO check flown yesterday. Link below is to a rather crappy video clip that I did on my Pentax 'still' camera - rather dark because that's how the weather was!

http://www.micro-trike.co.uk/wordpre...deos/MYRO4.flv

Unfortunately I was delayed getting back off to Linton and the weather came in before I got there so I had to divert into Headcorn. MYRO's now parked and tied down there until there's another break in the weather long enough to hop out and back into Linton.

August - blimey, call this weather?

Roger

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Yup, weather it most certainly is, just adjust the preceding word to suit to day
    you can choose from the following, wet, windy, foul, vile or sometimes beautiful :rofl:

Anyway well done in getting her sorted and flying

Ginge

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Back to Linton this afternoon. I was soooo close on Wednesday, in sight of the field actually if I'd known what I was looking for so my dead reckoning wasn't too bad. Still the right decision to go into Headcorn though. Nice to have MYRO tied down back at home again though.

Roger

PS the met office forecast was for strong, gusting northerlies - and it was almost dead calm when I landed. What are those boys doing for goodness sake? Their silly forecasts stop us flying if we live a bit of a way away from our aircraft

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

I thought it was all going a bit too smoothly

Turns out that my check pilot had forgotten that as the former owner, they were not allowed to check fly the aircraft - it has to be someone independent. So the check flight was invalid and MYRO's still not permitted (almost 2 months now and counting since completed). What a system! There are new pitfalls at every turn that nobody tells you about until you fall into them. Very user-unfriendly and very frustrating. We must be able to do better than this surely

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Roger Mole wrote: I thought it was all going a bit too smoothly

Turns out that my check pilot had forgotten that as the former owner, they were not allowed to check fly the aircraft - it has to be someone independent. So the check flight was invalid and MYRO's still not permitted (almost 2 months now and counting since completed). What a system! There are new pitfalls at every turn that nobody tells you about until you fall into them. Very user-unfriendly and very frustrating. We must be able to do better than this surely
          Roger....
          This is just a typical pitfall that shows the CP system as being flawed....... I would have thought that as the former owner/pilot is also a Check Pilot they would be best placed to avidly flight test your machine.

I gather there is a X-Air that is still awaiting a Check Flight for lack of available Check Pilots in the persons area, so you are not alone in your situation.

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Well I'd not heard that one before, have you had a word with the lads at Stoke? I'm sure that they'll sort it for you.

I've just had a permit failure on Mimi with a knackered drag strut to to port main undercarriage. I noticed some minor looking corrosian at the rose joint end and treated it to a bit of ACF 50 then a bit Waxoyl to prevent a re-occurance. Well next day my inspector noticed that the whole end had gone wobbly, it seems that inside the tube it must have been held tight by corrosian. Just as well he spotted it could have been a tad embarassing had it come appart, so I'm awaiting a new one from P&M.

Life is never simple is it

Ginge

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

:burger:

Dunno what you're talking about Ginge..... MYRO's all check flown and done and dusted now :turn:

I did give Chris Draper a bell a day or so ago and he arranged a check flight with Martin, the Medway test pilot. Got it over there today and just arrived back home half an hour ago. Ben Gave me permission for a second solo ferry flight as I'm still in the 28 day period and I had a lovely flight up to Stoke and back. Went up to the east of Rochester via Leeds Castle and Sittingbourne and back to the west via Wrotham so at least I feel as though I've managed some time in the air even though MYRO's still not officially permitted ;-)

It's been a bit of an uphill struggle at times - not least over the last few weeks - but at last it's job done and hopefully I'll have MYRO's permit by next weekend. Just in time for the weather to change someone told me today

I'm also pleased to say that after the initial banter you always get with AX3s (you know the stuff :-) ) Martin said that MYRO flew very well. And I'm also finding the Arplast prop a huge improvement over the original GSC wooden 2-blader. It's quieter and it also seems much more efficient to me. I'm surprised at how much better MYRO's fuel consumption is compared to MZEL that now has MYRO's old engine and prop. I've not flown enough yet to get an accurate idea but it seems to be coming at at around 11 litres/hr which is much lower. Mind you, I've only been flying one up. I'll start to keep more accurate records when I start flying MYRO regularly because I'm naturally very keen to find out.

Hope to be across to see you soon :-)

Roger

PS

Frank, BTW - I was a bit miffed about the Check Pilot thing but as one of the lads at Stoke pointed out to me, it's sensible really. He said that owners often unknowingly compensate for any minor deviations in an aircraft that they fly regularly eg if it pulls a bit to the left they end up compensating and not noticing it and this might be a sign of something that needs investigating. It wouldn't be if the former owner did the check flight because it wouldn't be highlighted whereas another pilot who isn't familiar with the aircraft would pick it up immediately. I can go with that.

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

I know what you mean about the Arplast, brilliant prop isn't it. Mimi returns about 12 ltrs per hour 2 up and full tank and 1 up she gives between 10 and 11. She may not be fast but she is a real miser with fuel and if zooming around is your thing then an AX3 isn't your kind of bird. They are just cheap to run and fun the fly, my kind of lady

Ginge

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

On page 40 of the Oct MF mag, there is a short article, written by the tech office regarding the rules about positioning a microlight for a check flight.
                  I note that an unnamed owner had a bit of a tour of south-west England during one such flight! I wonder who the blighter was?
                  JM
                  (Trustee of the Bakers Dozen Syndicate)

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

John Mundy wrote: On page 40 of the Oct MF mag, there is a short article, written by the tech office regarding the rules about positioning a microlight for a check flight.
                    I note that an unnamed owner had a bit of a tour of south-west England during one such flight! I wonder who the blighter was?
                    JM
                    Yes I saw that John. It's amazing isn't it what some bounders will get up to to get round the system. I just don't know how they possibly dream up such schemes :devil: :yeah:

Roger

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Roger I notice that your registration has been hijacked.

When the advertising paper fell from my MF my first thought was that you were the author and that you would be flying around the country signing books and getting kiddies to pay for the privilege of sitting in their hero aircraft. Then I find that your registration has been nicked, transferred to a trike and sent to Australia.

Even so don't be surprised to find to find your pride and joy surrounded by little footprints and smeared by chocolatey finger marks, the penalty for owning a famous aircraft

Ginge

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

:-)

Yes, I saw this first when Katie put something up over on the other forum. Reckon I'm going to have to look at making a claim for some of the royalties. Might be able to afford to retire on them ;-)

Roger

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Another thing you might try is paint a face on the pod and tour the country, with a bit of publicity you could raise a few bob
                          :lol:

Ginge

Comment

G-MYRO Flying At Last!

Now that's a much better idea Ginge :yeah:

Comment

Working...
                            X