Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trya is now SSDR.

Kev said "PS c'mon Paul, give us all some info and photos mate"

OK here it is I didn't want to post till I was 100 % certain on what i was doing.
    Basically it still looks like the BB Trya but nearly every component has been changed. If ti was steel then it is now aluminum, If it was aluminum it is now a alloy and carbon fiber based composite.

The trike as seen with the 503 and a 2 blade power fin weighs 74.2 kg

Its still work in progress and the pictures are missing some minor detail that has been done before the weigh in but it is very close.

Things may still fall over in stress testing as I do intend to duplicate the stress tests from the original section S tests just to be sure.
    See post really light trike in ssdr section for photos.

All the best Paul.

PS for my other project see the thread another engine.

P Robshaw BMAA 5765
    If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Edited (Paul Robshaw) : 18/03/2010 21:39:58 GMT

Trya is now SSDR.

Hi All
    Well its done, just had the final weigh in today.
    trike complete with the Rotax 503 scsi is 162.5 pounds which is 73.7kgs. Got scales from states so they are in pounds.
    Taking the manufactures weight of 40kgs for the wing gives me 113.7 kgs complete. So I can now say that with out a doubt subject to stress testing and flight test I have the best single seat deregulated trike for touring in existence.
    I will be doing some stress testing over the next couple of weeks then next project is test flights

Attached files

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

I asked Paul about the wing loading, as it seemed to be two kilos or so out to meet the rules. Answer is that he's wisely left on the undercarriage fairings to add half a square metre of wing area.

Extremely well done; will you be releasing details of the carbon fibre/alloy composite tubes you've used to get round the safety considerations?

Or are you marketing the tube kit and alloy plate details that are changed from the Trya original to get under the weight?

Thanks for doing this, most heartening

Kev
      G-KEVA
      BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

R.J. Mitchell :- Designer of the Supermarine Spitfire

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Hi Kev,
        I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with them at the moment, it is a small market so I am not going to start a business up in Portugal to sell them, I don't think that the demand will be that great, what I may do is build them one at a time fly them for a couple of hours and then sell them as tested and flying. If any one wants one building using there bits then I could arrange for there bits picking up and build using them.
        I could also end up with a conflict of interest as I am now linked with Ace Aviation on the engine side.
        At the moment I am sitting back to see how much interest it stirs before making any decisions.
        Been doing final adjustments this morning working out final front strut length and hang point position.
        I can get 80kg in the seat and 50 liters in the tank, "25kg of luggage in the rear luggage position and still be within acceptable balance.

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Hi ,
          Heres the photos from todays work, final adjustments to get optimum hang point position.

Works out min seat wieght 50kg
          max seat wieght 100kg

Attached files

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Quite handy that, being able to carry breeze-blocks and all; could fly it down to Portugal and build a bungalow ;-)

Did you drill the pylon for the pull-start pulley, or clamp it on Paul? I'd have used M&P fork clamps to avoid another hole in the tube.

Those tyres look heavy-duty compared to the usual Kenda crap that punctures so easily.

Chap at Scrufforth that Spokesy knows is making carbon-fibre Chaser pods; bearing in mind you've substituted most of the tubes, most of the triangle plates and ended up using the forks, wheels and seat frame, only the glassfibre remains oiginal. Maybe you should just buy in the wings and make the rest as a kit?

We now have all the ingredients, thanks to you, for a recipe for an SSDR single seater that most resembles a proper full-sized touring microlight. Nice one.

Kev
            G-KEVA
            BMAA 5696

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls."

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Hi Kev,
              Must admit I did drill the pylon for the pull start. Its only a 4mm bolt though. If I was doing it again as you say I would clamp it.
              Guy at not so scruffy any more, scruforth, is Dan , He flys the chaser with the Solo engine on. I may look at doing the rest in carbon at some point but at 200.00gbp just for the little chaser front pod it will get expensive. My thoughts at the time of building was to change as little as I could get away with to meet regulation and there for keep costs down. No reason why I cant add stuff to it later or even if any one wants a custom job doing it to order.
              Cheers Paul

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Hey those blocks look like pantomine polystyrene ones! :-)

Only joking..

Well done Paul.

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

The styling is definitely growing on me; set of finned spats and it would be thoroughly modern Millie. Blade ones might weigh the same as the standard ones, look nice and easy to rinse out. Like the big screen too.

Beauty of SSDR is that small, tidying tweaks aren't bogged down by months of paperwork and wondering; the engine mount might benefit from a plan brace or two but at least you can just cut one and fit it.

Only shoulder to look back over is creeping weight growth. Incidentally, the Rotax spring recoil start weighs quite a bit, a few holes in it might help?

If a Trya club got off the ground then knowledge could be shared, much as it was/still is in MW circles, where the members float ideas in a most friendly way.

Kev
                  G-KEVA
                  BMAA 5696

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Great to see the trike sorted Paul.

Mine is at a fairly advanced stage now and I've gone for Carbon Fibre tubes with alloy inserts at each end of the monopole where it is bolted together but other than that I've simply reinforced each drilling with a stainless steel tube through the CF to help spread the load.

I've kept the rear suspension to see if it's worth having and I'm keeping the rear wheel brakes and Trya wheels as I think I'm going to be well within the weight limit

I'm going to copy you and replace the steel plates with alloy but I think I'll leave a pod off for now and just have a binnacle.

Next weekend I'm hoping to sort out an engine mount for my 447 and I my aim is to get the completed thing flying in time for Popham.

Good work mate

Les

Attached files

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Hi Les,
                      That looks great.
                      Great to see yours near finished. If I can do any thing to help let me know.
                      Once your up and running we must meet up with the trikes some where.
                      Cheers Paul.

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Although trikes get long fine without suspension, I've still got all the graph tools and stuff relating to suspension design, after a hard-fought battle to get the Quik suspension mod approval.

If you guys need me to feed the weight, wing area and desired suspension travel into the graphs, and arrive at a spring rate and design, happy to assist.

Cheers

Kev
                        G-KEVA
                        BMAA 5696

Comment

Trya is now SSDR.

Thanks Kev,
                          My theory is that with big tires fitted they will absorb more then the hard rubber suspension the Trya comes with as standard. I jumped up and down on mine before I stripped it and couldn't get the suspension to move at all! So came to the conclusion they where mainly cosmetic. The rubber could be drilled to give it some give but I don't think its worth it. I may at some time in the future fit mountain bike type adjustable suspension though.
                          Cheers Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X