Welcome to the world of liitle radials and Dymeena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the world of liitle radials and Dymeena

I've asked the Moderators if we could start this specific forum for Chevvrons as I feel there is a need .
    I'm not sure how many are still on the Register (I'm sure someone with better IT skills than me will tell me), But I do know they are spread thinly right across the country, from peterhead to the deep south indeed.

Now Angus and AMF are not officially providing back up, Us owners collectivly have the main repositry of information (and indeed spares) on the aircraft.

What I would hope we could achieve on this forum is to build up a community of pilots and knowledge so that if any of us get a problem we can easily find out if someone else had it before and what the fix is. Secondly if we are a group(all be it a small one) , If In the future we need parts made ,the possibility of making a group order helps to get costs per unit down opens up.

Thirdly I hope other pilots interested by the chevvy can talk to us and get an idea of why most of us rate it as a most civillised/ efficient little aeroplane.

So...................lHow to start?

I propose that those interested post and just let us now which one (if any) You Fly/flew Roughly where , and anything else you would like to say about your pride and joy.

I'll Get the ball rolling , I own G-mwno (currently awaiting its motor reinstalled and putting back on the register ) , I've flown about 15 of the fleet either teaching on them / type converting, or doing permit renewals. I fly mostly in cumbria / the north but have travveled as far as peterhead to bristol doing permits. I would go as far as to say that if i had to keep one microlight to do me the rest of my days it would probably be the chevvron. How about you?

Pip Pip Ian :smile:

I don't have any contact with Chevvrons anymore but I do have a soft spot for them, great little aircraft. A real sweet flier with good manners, I did my initial learning on one.

As a matter of interest have you obtained any engine spares from Compact Radial Engines in Canada, I think that they are the agaents for them now. A lovely engine that would be a hell of an engine for an SSDR.

Ginge

Comment

Hi ian. I fly G-MYYP. this is the second one i,ve owned. The first one is now my spares stores. As for engine parts from Canada, all they needed to supply a ( Short motor)was an accurate measure of the engine case and they then machine a standard engine to suit.This is what we did to replace the engine of Peters Chevvron. Peter Lives in Yorkshire. I think it is a good idea to form this group, but it has been tried before by Ted Ratcliffe. Peter MWUI Julian MZDP John MYYP + MVGE deceased. William MVGC and Ted MWZB Good to meet you when you came to sort out MZDP.

Comment

Any idea on how MZDP is getting on, I have a soft spot for this aircraft as along with MTFG some of my early training was with them

Ginge

Comment

Noted G-MTFG at an air strip in essex last weekend...

Attached files

Comment

Very nice Trev, she looka the same as she did all those years back if that's where I think it is it hasn't travelled far since I knew it before at Andrewsfield.

Ginge

Comment

Ian, an excellent idea. I own G-MYGN, a Chevvron that is in commission (about 50hrs/year), but currently suffering from a series of unconnected instrument failures, a couple of weeks ago the check flight was aborted when the ASI started sticking...............

The Tillotson carb's float chamber needle (rubber tipped) caused the whole engine area to flood with fuel a couple of weeks ago. I would suggest an additional pre-flight check: turn the electric fuel pump on, and check for leaks before climbing in! I now have 9 spare Tillotson needles.

There is a group of Chevvron owners that I am in contact with, usually by email, I will post them the link to this thread, and see what they think.

Comment

Evening all Glad to make the aqquaintance of those of you who I hav'nt met (yet)

On the spares topic I have a fair few brake bits (new) and some coils later type but NOS which are available if needed.

Peter in yorkshire (Gmwuj) seems to be the man who after a long saga seems to know a source for replacement ignition sender units that are actually compatable with the koenig.

I also am having a clearout of surpluss kit including a pallet/ skate on winches for putting a chevvron into a hangar roof , I'll put a full descrip in the for sale section in the next couple of days. Anyway I'm off for a little light aviating around ullswater before sunset and a large gin

Pip Pip from summer in the lakes Ian

Comment

Im having a hangar clear out this month of mostly surplus chevvron related gear though the T habgar would suit other types . Have a look on the for sale forum and if you know any other chevvronistas who you think might use some of it please let them know.Pip Pip Ian
                  Ps for more details Pm me with an email address.

Comment

I have just purchased MZMK and would welcome any history or information on this aircraft please and anything helpful that I may need to learn! Pete (Complete beginner)

Comment

I used to own G-MZMK, which I sold in 2013. I bought the aircraft from an RAF flying instructor, who had the misfortune to get caught in a hail storm, resulting in pock marking to the front of the wings and the fuselage. Apart from looking a little unsightly, this did not seem to affect the flying characteristics and I spent many enjoyable hours flying the aircraft during my period of ownership. Prior to my purchase the engine had been rebuilt, apparently following the ingress of a loose screw. The engine ran very sweetly and inspired confidence. The current owner needs to check if a minor leak on one of the cylinder base gaskets has been fixed. More importantly, when I sold the aircraft, it was identified that some of the wing caps on the starboard wing were de-laminating. Also that there was a small area of structural damage on the back of the same wing. Surprisingly this had not been identified by the Examiner when I had the aircraft permitted. It was only picked up when a different inspector looked over the aircraft for a prospective purchaser. On discovering the damage I sold the aircraft for 2,000 less than my asking price, to a chap who ran a business which employed a laminates expert. He had intended to have his expert carry out the necessary repairs, but I don't know if this ever happened. The aircraft appears to have changed hands three times since I sold it and remains out of permit. The latest owner, Peter Waller has attempted to contact me through a link on You-tube, but I cant get back to him through the link. I had always regretted selling G-MZMK but am happy to say that I have now bought G-MZCK. This Chevvron also hasn't been in the air for a few years, so some recommissioning work will be required. I have another aircraft that I am currently working on and as much as I would like to drop everything and get the Chevvron flying, I am trying to contain myself otherwise the current project wont get finished.

Comment

Hi Ian I am Peter Waller and own G MZMK and thanks for that information. Ian Hogg has been down to my home yesterday and he has stripped the damaged wing and is drawing up a plan of action for the repairs. I purchased it for 6500 with the trailer and I purchased it from the business man you mention but so far all his contacts have not been able to help with the carbon fiber repair so all my hopes rest with Ian Hogg who has been brilliant. I am after an rpm gauge to replace the tiny tach that is in it at the moment and I have not noticed a leak on one of the cylinder base gaskets but will certainly check. Its my first aircraft and from what I have read about the Chevvron it is going to be perfect for me in every way including hopefully some gliding and soaring etc. Anyway my tel is 07976 881263 and anything you can to to help me get it back in the air would be brilliant! I live in Weston Super Mare. Thx Pete

Comment

Hello Ian,

Hello Ian, we were in touch a few years ago regarding the Chevvron and I wander if you remember me !
                          I want to obtain one of these little aircraft, as you say they are becoming rather thin on the ground.
                          I am at this time negotiating the purchase of one which includes the trailer thank god !
                          Are you still doing the permit renewals and repairs to these little gems.
                          cheers Harry Morris.

Comment

Have purchased G-MZMK from Pete at Weston, you know it as you have done a few annuals on it. I live in Cornwall and the aircraft is now based at Perranporth. I think the idea of a group is a good one but it seems people dont want to admit they own one or we have the last of the few. I have only flown it for about an hour before I purchased it from Pete but have a fair bit of Air -time.I hope others join in.

Comment

I take it that this is a very exclusive club or people just don't want to admit they own one. Well I'me not ashamed .

Comment

Working...
                              X