Throttle Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Hand

Wonder if CT pilots could help me here. I used to fly a Foxbat and have been looking longingly at CT,s for a while. Question in mind is how is the throttle managed if you fly from the left seat and are used to right hand on the stick and left hand on throttle, especially during short strips when there could be several quick power adjustments. I guess the obvious answer is either learn to land left hand or cross hands. Have to say never even sat in the aircraft so forgive if this seems dumb but any thoughts welcome

Throttle Hand

N
    ormal thing Geoff . Spend some time with a competent person till you get your head around it . Its not as much of a problem as you may think .

Best wishes , Chris .

Comment

Throttle Hand

Hi Geoff,

I trained on a CT, and then moved to a Skyranger and now a Foxbat. I never gave it a second thought - I think you just automatically adjust, in the same way you might go from right to left hand drive cars when on holiday.

Damian

Comment

Throttle Hand

I'd agree with took me only a few goes to fly from either seat in a couple of different aircraft so a change of hands very quickly became a non-event
        Graham Jefferies
        BMAA member no: 6885.

Comment

Throttle Hand

You could fly it from the right seat, if it really doesn't compute.

Converting can give rise to a few hairy moments - I was doing some right seat familiarisation for a chap at the beginning of his instructor course. He turned finals and initiated a glide approach. Chopped the power and lowered the nose - at least. That's what he intended, the reality was full power and a near blackout G level pull up to the vertical. This was closely followed by the reverse action which had me pinned courtesy of a not too tight seat belt, to the canopy. Relieved the boredom...

But it usually sorts itself out with a bit of practice, just be careful and consider getting good safety pilot/ instructor to sit with you at first.

Paul

Comment

Throttle Hand

Geoff, we converted to the CTSW a couple of years ago. As Anita and I both fly we both had a full conversion. For me the problem was not flying left hand on stick but the strange visual aspect of the CT which had me landing with the nose off to the left when in the left hand seat and off to the right when in the right hand seat. We decided that changing seats to fly from the left as P1 and then in the right seat as P2 was not helping. Consequently I now fly in the right hand seat at all times and Anita in the left hand seat. The throttle/stick problem never came up but I would advise a good conversion course as they are not the easiest of planes to land. However, once mastered they are a delight to fly. I don't know where you are based but we would both recommend Chris Hasell at Chatteris for the job.

Regards Ray

Comment

Working...
            X