Nosewheel punture CTSW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosewheel punture CTSW

Yesterday we found that we had a flat nosewheel. Thought "no problem, undo the side bolts on the nosewheel fairing, lift it up and slide out the axle, job done." How wrong can you be. Once the side bolts were removed it bacam apparent that there was a screw preventing the spat from being moved up. On the 2K that is no problem, there is a bolt behind the nose leg which you remove and the spat can be lifted out of the way. Not on the SW. The bolt is inside the vertical part of the spat. Had to remove the noseleg to try and get a socket down the fairing from the top. On reassembling there was so little clearance that the socket got stuck at the bottom. The proverbial 5 minute job taking 2 1/2 hours. We are now getting an allen key welded up to reach from the top of the spat to the bolt for next time. What a crazy design, the spat appears to have been designed to move up the leg but you cannot get at the bolt! Moral, don't get a nosewheel puncture. Rgds Ray and Anita

Nosewheel punture CTSW

Further to our last post we have removed the noseleg and spat again and eventually managed to get the retaining bolt undone. That has now been replaced with a thinner nut and bolt with the thread extending beyond the nut acting as a locating pin. At least we can now change a fornt wheel without removing the noseleg by pushing the spat up out of the way.

Comment

Nosewheel punture CTSW

Hi Guys
      Could you possibly post a few photos? I recall taking away the front spat soon after I got mine and don't remember any big trouble. Oliver did suggest I loosen the axle so that it would be guaranteed free in the event of an away puncture. I did get a slow puncture out on the Aran islands last year and only with the friendly farmer's tractor and airline I would still be stuck there) Now I have tools and stuff on board!

Comment

Nosewheel punture CTSW

Sorry John, no photos available. If you look at the nosewheel spat on a CT2K you will see that it has a retaining bolt on top of the spat behind the nosewheel leg. The CTSW has a similar bolt, but that is inside the leg spat and can only be got at with a long allen key from the top of the leg spat. It may be that ours was incorrectly reassembled after repair but it meant that the spat could not be slid up to enable the axle to be removed, hence the replacement with a locating lug instead. I hope that helps. Rgds Ray

Comment

Nosewheel punture CTSW

Hi Ray / Anita

The rear locating point for the Spat should be a M5 pin and not a bolt- as you say this would make the job near impossible to do!!

the spat simply locates on the pin & is secured by the two bolts which screw into the axle.

Gary

Comment

Working...
          X