New Sail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sail

Fitted a brand new sail to my Flash IIa yesterday... well I had a very good attempt. Does anyone know of a sail replacement wizard within 50/60 miles of Kings Lynn/Fenland Airfield? Currently, the wing will only tension without battens. I believe problem lays with the newness of the material and the inserts are slightly out of position/creased. Otherwise it's a 300 mile round trip (twice) to P&M in Rochdale.

New Sail

Have you spoken to P&M?
    They should be able to confirm whether your 'new sail' theory is correct.
    How far short of the posts can you get the 'pull-back' wires?
    You're not trying to hook the shorter wire onto the rear post are you?
    Dave

Comment

New Sail

Dave. Yes I have now booked the 1st of August for P&Ms wingman to correctly fit my new sail. I might have another look myself as it's possible one or both end leading edge sections are not slotted in correctly. I will feel a lot more confident with P&M doing the work. Regards Mike

Comment

New Sail

Hi Mike, I had a similar problem with my f2a. 3 of us (2 1/2 were experienced flexi pilots) tried for about an hour to sort it but no go.

I then asked another flexi type to have a look the next day, he sorted it in 30 seconds! The solution - we were pulling both tension cords not one! :blush:

I must add it did take a good pull to get them anchored though, very tight wing (as you probably know)

cheers
        Bryan

Comment

New Sail

I have booked the wing in for finishing by P&M. It will be a challenge driving to Rochdale and back in a day but I will have confidence in the finished product. I will check the leading edge lengths as I believe we may have not engaged the slotted end sections correctly. I'll Post what I find etc.

Comment

New Sail

Well have you flow it yet mike.
            "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

New Sail

Nick
              I took a half day off work and got airbourne yesterday afternoon. Roger (P&M) had warned me to fly in nearly perfect conditions and watch the roll until the sail had streched a bit. I flew again this evening and it's starting to settle in. I've taken out the right turn. After landing another microlighter offered me a seat in a Quicksilver which I accepted and had a wonderful flight... no canopy so I learnt very quickly to keep my mouth shut. Regards Mike

Comment

New Sail

So what did P&M decide was 'wrong' with it Mike. Or did it just need some more knowledgable brawn?
                Dave

Comment

New Sail

It required knowledge we didn't have. It's a very tight fit. You could drum off the sail's tautness. The job was costed to take 4 hours but took 8. The problem with the old inserts only raised it's head around 2pm. Wonderful bunch of folk at P&M. Mike

Comment

New Sail

Sounds good Mike.
                    "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

Working...
                    X