Second Hand Secrets for F2/F2A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Hand Secrets for F2/F2A?

A very popular flexie in its time, anyone prepared to pick up the baton for a Secondhand Secrets article on the Flash 2/2A?

There is a template already - who is up for it? Just check first with Geoff Hill that you will get a publication slot...

I'm now in a syndicate whose aircraft is a Mainair Flash 2 with a Gemini trike.

I'm going to write up the Flash 2 for a Second-hand Secrets, I intend to do the Flash 2 and not the Alpha otherwise the options, trikes, differences in handling and the wing itself make for too much work and a reduction in detail.

If anyone has any suggestions about a Second-hand Secrets on the Flash 2 or interesting mods or stories, please contact flying at steveu dot org.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Steve,
      It sounds good; I look forward to reading the article. I fly a Mainair Mercury, which is a combination of the Gemini trike and an Alpha wing. As far as mods go, it might be a good idea to send Kev Armstrong a PM: he put together a good mod for a moving hangpoint on his Rapier. I don't know if it is applicable to Flash II or F2A machines though (the Rapier has the Gemini trike and the Blade wing).
      David.

Comment

I look forward to reading it as well Steve.
        "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

The obvious Steve, is ensuring batten conformity and luff(leach) line settings (the latter laid out in the appropriate SB). The nail in the coffin of the Flash 2 was the accusation that some brand new wings were unsafe out of the bag. Whether that was true, perhaps due to the wing design being rather too critical of build tolerances, flattened and unchecked battens, or just scurrilous talk from the competition was always open to question. If it ever was true, those wings will have been weeded out long ago. Certainly the several examples I've checkflown have been sweet and forgiving. I'd certainly be suspicious of any very low hour examples...

The thing I really like about the Mainair wings is their durability. Only a 1060g Betts test limit, and I've never found one that would have failed at the 1360g 'normal' limit. Good cloth and strong stitches.

Dave

Comment

Dave Smith wrote: The obvious Steve, is ensuring batten conformity and luff(leach) line settings (the latter laid out in the appropriate SB). The nail in the coffin of the Flash 2 was the accusation that some brand new wings were unsafe out of the bag.
            The Flash 2 shares a planform with the Solar Wings Ace, a hang glider I flew for a 100 hours or more in the early 1990s, with that 100% double surface at the tips. The wings I've seen are drum tight, and need the tool to get the batten cords on or off. I've made a spare tool from rings and cord a la Kev A, which is now the main one as the standard tool purchased from P&M has got broken.

I was aware of the care needed for the luff line settings, but have now pulled up all the relevant SBs and see that the F2A had the restriction to 45 degrees lifted and the F2 did not. I have the correct placards on the syndicate F2 and will summarise the effect of the 3 SBs on the Flash 2, that it is limited to 45 degrees bank, and that the luff line settings are not in the manual on the P&M web site, they need to be obtained from the SB.

IIRC either the F2 or the F2A or both went on the BHPA rig for pitch testing. The F2A IIRC has a lot more battens, as there are six fibreglass ones each side in the 100% double surface, which were also available to pilots of the Ace RX. Later Aces had a neoprene attachment between the trailing edges at the 100% and a reinforcing strip along the trailing edge, just like Q2 wings.

Our syndicate one has just been permitted again, inspector hasn't seen one of these fail Betts-wise in long time.

Thanks for the pointers, saved me a lot of leg work there.

Comment

A buddy of mine 'tuned' his F2 for an early RB Air Race. I've never seen batten cords so tight - or the length of the tool he made to get them on... It flew very fast, and needed a fit 'passenger' in the rear to pull the control bar into his chest. Had smoe 'interesting' characteristics.

Those very characteristics reminded me of one essential check: the rear tank of Mainair trikes must have a wire 'coat-hanger' holding the fuel pick-up tube in position. Otherwise, it can get a 'set' forwards so that in a steep climb it can become uncovered just when you thought you had a good reserve in the tank. Killed a good friend of mine.

I rather preferred the older F1/2 trikes to the F2A. The floppy monopole on the latter could result in some hairy 'squirreling' on landing and see you into the crop. They beefed up the springs and fitted a steering damper to sort it.

Dave

Comment

Dave that coat hanger thing you mention...does that only apply to trikes with 2 tanks and not the 65lt tank??

Nick.
                "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

Comment

Any other issues with Gemini trikes? The dashboard is not the most spacious, have people put mods through to increase dash size or have they mostly gone with smaller size dial instruments?

I'm aware of the two tanks bundle of fun, I'm also aware of a BMAA inspector who's had a mod approved to use two tanks with one being used to fill the other at a convenient point in the flight via a switched pump.

Anyone using the classic two tanks set will have to prime on both sides before take off.....

Anyone help me out with pics of the 65l tank with zip up skirt?

Comment

Here's how to add stuff to the panel ;-) Admittedly a Blade pod, but you get the message...
                    Nick - the wire is a rear tank only mod. Not applicable to the 65ltr jobby.

Dave

Attached files

Comment

Steve,
                      The 'single row' panel on the Gemini trike is a bit of a pain I admit. It also has the hole in the floor, so unless you have netted it up, need to watch out for dropping stuff.
                      I also have the 2 tanks, but I have never needed to prime both. There is easily enough suction when the engine is running to draw the fuel through after the switchover.
                      As an aside, I'm on the lookout for a 'leaning kit' mod I heard about for the 503. I would like to fit such a thing, but I'm not good enough to design it myself, so if anyone has any info on it...
                      David.

Comment

"As an aside, I'm on the lookout for a 'leaning kit' mod I heard about for the 503. I would like to fit such a thing, but I'm not good enough to design it myself, so if anyone has any info on it"

Why are you planning on flying very high David....only time I have ever needed to go leaner was this summer when I went to 10,000 in my 503 Alpha...my engine was not happy with the lack of oxygen at all at that alt.

Nick.

Comment

David McAfee wrote:
                          The 'single row' panel on the Gemini trike is a bit of a pain I admit. It also has the hole in the floor, so unless you have netted it up, need to watch out for dropping stuff.
                          Thanks, in addition to this there is also the possibility of a mudguard retro fit, it's a factory mod and I plan to cover that.

David McAfee wrote: I also have the 2 tanks, but I have never needed to prime both. There is easily enough suction when the engine is running to draw the fuel through after the switchover.
                          I'll do some more research on this as my local inspector and two other pilots have warned me about F2 pilots who landed out after tank change overs....

David McAfee wrote: As an aside, I'm on the lookout for a 'leaning kit' mod I heard about for the 503. I would like to fit such a thing, but I'm not good enough to design it myself, so if anyone has any info on it...
                          I would be very scared personally about leaning off a two stroke running on premix - 50:1 isn't the best for continuous operation near or at full power - the motorcycle manufacturers went for something closer to 33:1 at that setting with oil injection and leaned it off closer to idle.

A four stroke would start to get hot and bothered but a two stroke on premix is likely to seize IMV...

Comment

I'm in need of some pictures for the finished article, but our Flash 2 is poorly after a minor mishap.

Please can anyone help with either digital images or some high quality slides or photos?

Comment

What do you need Steve...F2a pics...I have loads...anything in particular.

Comment

Working...
                              X