Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand throttle - sticking cable?

Hi all,

On my flash 2 alpha the hand throttle has recently stopped returning to the closed position. The lever moves to the closed position but the cable and nibble do not return, ie the nipple sticks out from the lever mounting point by 10mm when the lever is moved to closed.

How should this work please? Should a spring somewhere be pulling the cable back to the closed position, or should the nipple be jammed in the recess and hence the lever pushes the cable back?

Any advice much appreciated please.

Many thanks
    Rob

Hand throttle - sticking cable?

Evening Rob. The spring inside your carb should be pulling your cable back. There is a good possibility that the throttle slide is sticking inside the carb or if this has just started happening that one of the outer sheathing end pieces has come loose somewhere. The sheathing should be wire locked in place to stop this from happening. It may sound obvious but don't fly with it like this as your engine revs will be permanently high if the throttle slide is getting jammed.
    If you aren't sure get your local inspector to take a look. Where in the country are you based?

Comment

As Dominic says there is a fairly powerfull spring in the carb to close the slide and it also pulls the cable as well. If you have a juction box where the foot and hand throttle link up and the foot throttle works OK (I only speculate as I fly 3 axis) then the problem is in the box or in the cable leading back to the hand throttle. In that case if not a loose end cap have you a damaged spot on the cable outer casing, that can allow water ingress and corrosian in the cable. Another possiblity if this happens only in flight is again water in the cable but this time freezing, either are fairly easy to sort, good luck

Comment

You prob already know this Rob...but be careful starting up that the engine does not race onto high RPM.
        "When once you have tasted flight...you will forever walk with your eyes turned skywards..."

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickjaxe/videos.

Comment

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for your responses and advice. The cable didn't seem that stiff so I oiled it and moved on. I took the throttle mixer tube apart and that was fine after a clean and some silicon lubricant. Next I checked the throttle springs which were fine so the answer had to be back to the cable. It didn't seem that stiff to move but given that it didn't appear to be the others I decided to replaced it anyway.

And now all is fine, and I at last managed to go flying yesterday. Hooray!

thanks
          Rob

Comment

Working...
          X