Jabiru Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jabiru Info

Our syndicate Skyranger has unfortunately been written off in an accident, and one option is that we replace with a Jabiru. What sort of questions should we be asking when looking for a good example of the type?

Neil Broughton

Jabiru Info

Hi Neil,
    We looked at lots before buying ours, I think an absolute must is it must have the full height rudder, turning in the Jabiru is very rudder first and the short ones can suffer from running out of effectiveness especially in the landing phase. Test the wing bolts by rocking the plane by the wing tips 9you can lift the wheels off the ground this way and look at the rubbers on the front leg (they have a tendency to show signs of ageing even when they are still perfectly serviceable). A good service history is vital with Jab engines, there are always lots of Jab knockers but a well looked after engine is one of the best out there.try to get one with the larger fins on the heads, On the positive side the Jabiru is probably the prettiest aircraft out there and will always turn heads and they are extremely good on fuel, ours will cruise at 85kts and sip less than 10lts/hr two up. they are very slippy and getting into short fields can be a bit daunting. look to see if the one you look at has the upgraded brakes.

good luck with your search

Trev

Comment

Jabiru Info

Hi Trev,

Thanks for that info.....it's very timely since I'm also looking at (possibly) buying a Jab. A couple of things concern me - the tiny ailerons which must make landings tricky in crosswinds - and the limited payload, or am I wrong about that? On the face of it, by the time you've got two 90kg people on board, there's virtually no weight allowance left for fuel.

Apropos the wing bolts: are we looking for play? Are they difficult/expensive to renew if problems are detected?

I fly from a 400 metre grass strip with a high hedge at one end - would this be ruled out with a fully loaded Jab do you think?

Thanks again,

Phil.

Comment

Jabiru Info

Hi Phil,

The ailerons are tiny and to be fair the stick is mainly to rest your hand on (he he he) you fly mainly with your feet I have found, very easy to get crossed controls if you are used to flying something like the shadow which you can pick up the wing with the ailerons, the Jabiru you have to pick up with rudder first,and keep the stick neutral, it seemed unnatural at first and I was always over correcting but you do get used to it.

I was talking of play in the wing bolts though they don't look too difficult to get at, ours has the wing fold option so there is always a little play, by the way the "nappy" pins used on the shadow are the same as the wing pins on the jab but genuine Shadow ones are better quality, I had mine from Fiona at the shadow centre.

We fly out of 340 mtrs max length and two up with one stage of flap which is recommended for take off, we have no difficulties at all we are both erhum ! about 90kgs. we recently fitted the larger brake pads and this improved the stopping power greatly, bit of a fiddle because the pads have to be riveted on to the backing plates which means having to take the wheels off (strange disc brake set up but very effective)

Comment

Jabiru Info

Thanks Trev, very helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X