Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LETOV SLUKA

Thanks for the Recomendation Ginge.

I do indeed have a curtis valve in stock. Call me on 07841 614577 and I will arrange a price and postage for you.

Regards

Mark and G-POZA

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

OK , thats the permit mechanical checks done and all minor points seen to. Now I need some calm weather to have it flight tested. What a winter for wind and rain !!....I know I only have a month to get this flight done, so I keep looking at the forecast, but there's no glimmer of hope yet... OK thanks Mark, i'll keep your number handy although my inspector said he has a suitable curtis valve and tester. The glass jar and pen pusher type, if you know what I mean. Not very well described. Waiting to get the premit before doing any more work to her. Cant understand why the previous owners didnt fit a valve. Maybe they didnt check for water at the bottom of the tank, or maybe I dont really need to either !!!. Its been exactly a month since i've flown and it very annoying, because I am now looking at jobs that need doing around the house....and i'd rather be flying.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Hope you dont mind me joining in but I'm just about to complete purchase of a Sluka and have some questions to ask of those who obviously love this cute Aircraft. This is my first incursion into Microlights other than 20 mins with Mark Jones in a Thruster TST at Wing Farm! I'm bringing the Aircraft home to check over for renewal of Permit that expire last August. I've also some questions:
        1) Anything special I should check for at the Annual.
        2) Does the Mod to the Main Boom create any headaches.
        3) Has anyone used Regulator/Rectifier to supply basic electrics.
        4) What is deemed the best Prop of the few that are being used.
        5) Can anyone recommend a Strobe.

Any help or guidance will be gratefully received. G-MZBK will be based at our Strip at White Ox Mead, 5 miles SW of Bath, Somerset. The Strip is 550M X 30M at 550' with 24/06 bearing. If anyone wants to fly in please call me on 01761 433073 or e-mail and I'll send details. No services I'm afraid other than Apple Tree Pub about a 3/4 of a mile walk.
        Regards
        Gerry Holland

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Hi Gerry

Its dead easy to wire in a Reg rectifier. Its done on the 503's and 582 so no reason why not on the 447. I have wiring diagrams for it if you need them at the workshop.

The best strobe I can recomed is the MicroAvionics twin head system, very bright and has programable flash sequence to sute your mood and its readily available from me at the workshop !

Regards

Mark Jones

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Hi Gerry, I had answered your questions, but when isubmitted them, my internet firewall had halted traffic and I lost the whole text, so heres a revised shortened version.

The main thing (as I see it) is to inspect the front wing bracket fixing for cracks around the hole in the boom. You take the 10mm bolt out and look carefully. It comes out, with the wing in situ, and you can raise the wing enough to inspect the hole.
            The rest of the airframe requires the usual inspection. Be carefull of the tail plane guy wires, as the horizontal planes are hindged at the boom. You dont want a wire breaking, although it would take two to break to make it flap !.
            Dont know what mod you refer to on the boom .
            I bought my regulator from Aircraft Spruce in the USA and have no probs with it. No engine or strobe interference on my radio at all.
            Dont know how you judge a 'good' prop, is it looks or noise. Mine is the Junkers Profly, 3 blades and I like it very much.
            Again my strobes came from Spruce. There are a lot of thoughts on these. I have them for 'peace of mind' really. Having seen my plane fly while being flight tested for the permit, you can see the plane long before you see the lights, but thta was at midday. I'm sure they come into their own at dusk. But I'm happy I have them, as I said even if they are just making me THINK i'm going to be seen !..
            Sorry for the shortened version, but glad to haear of another Sluka going to fly. Dont know it you still a student, but I've had mine a year now and a couple of people have been looking to buy it, but i'll hopefully be flying for a few years yet.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

One of the mandatory inspections was on the aluminium tangs which attach the bracing wires to the vertical tail section. One had failed on inspection due to corrosion. Now if any of the four failed in flight....... It would be a worthwhile mod to have each wire separately anchored, so that failure of one would not lead to the fold up of the horizontal section.
              By the way, did you notice in the GASCO periodical, the Sluka fatality.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Hi Bill,

Any news on your mod to strengthen the wing attachment area?. I would be interested in one for mine, as I am sure others would.

Nige

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

The internal sleeve arrangement is in manufacture with a spare being made for anyone who wants it. They will receive full inspection before release. My inspector thinks the sleeve remedy is the ideal solution and will be happy to monitor the change. As a result of my last post, I am going to request that the tail bracing wires be separated to two independant sets so that if any of the aluminium tangs fail there will be backup from the other. At present, if one tang fails the elevator will fold up in flight.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Bill Hi!
                    Is your sleeve mod different to the PFA approved one. I dont actually know what the PFA one is as they havent replied with details I requested as yet. If there is a spare sleeve can I ask to take off your hands and the cost?
                    Regards
                    Gerry

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Go into production Bill. I'll have one off you!!

Nige

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Gerry,
                        The sleeve you mention is the one that the PFA have rejected. It was the Letov solution to a boom that was already cracked. It was a stainless steel sleeve that went around the boom. PFA say that if cracks are detected the whole boom has to be changed. My sleeve fits inside a boom that has NO defects and reinforces the area before defects appear. My sleeves are not costing me anything. I have a contact within Rolls Royce who is getting them made for me. I'll see if he can "up production".

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Bill
                          Thanks for that information. It now makes sense. My PFA Inspector for my Europa will be checking my Sluka. He did the PFA Mod on Brian Finch's Sluka as per instruction but wasn't impressed with PFA solution. Your solution was the one he preferred. If production run can be extended that would be good and I'll cover your expense. Regards. Gerry

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

And, obviously, I would like to be in the running for a sleeve, Bill, before the cracks appear on my boom. It goes without saying your costs would be covered.
                            You need a small hand to get inside the boom. I see why the previous owner of mine just replaced the front engine mounting rubbers, but a few sores and cuts later and they are all replaced now. Got the permit renewed, and have been flying whenever possible, which is why I havent been posting here lately. The list of things to do is down to wiring the carb heater in perminately, whichout a switch, just a light to shows curent is flowing. Theres a point, the existing circuitry mine has, is just a reed switch wrapped in the heavy wire carrying the 5amps AC, and this reed switches on an LED. Therefore it flashes at a very high rate, so the viewer sees a dimmer light. Any body got a very simple Loop Detector type circuit, where you wrap a thin wire around the heavy wire carrying the 5amps and the induced ac is detected and used to switch on an LED at full brightness?

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

I'm getting the sleeves done as a favour and perhaps, with a bottle of whisky thrown in. I've had my carb heater fitted since purchase but have no indication that it is working other than getting out quickly after flight to check that the body is above ambient temperature.
                              The X' Air that I have a share in has a digital thermometer fitted into the port that had the blanking rubber cap fitted over it with read out on the panel (the carb heating on that is via the coolant system)

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Victor Hi!
                                What Carb Heat arrangement are you using?
                                Regards
                                Gerry

Comment

Working...
                                X