LETOV SLUKA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LETOV SLUKA

A Wee quick question for you Jeremy, I was on the X-air threads and everybody is talking about mph for their speed. Is the x-airs' ASI calibrated in mph. My Sluka is in knots. Is everybody in the UK not suppose to use knots?

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Yes, thanks for that Jeremy.. I have a problem converting in my head (and even on paper!!) bewteen mph and knots. Its the same with the wind speeds i get on the weather web site i use for my forecasts, for GO or NO-GO flying. Accuweather. I wish they would give knots too.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Bill or Jeremy. This problem I had with the engine stopping in flight. What about this thought. Could it be the fact that I have the Carb Heat on permanently ?... The both times the engine stopped, was after a flight and the plane was about to turn onto final approach for the field. So the engine is hot after the cruiseing flight and then the power is brought back to loose height/speed. Now the engine is running leaner due to the lower revs, and more air in the petrol/air mix going into the carb. (and the engine temps would be rising in this power back mode - yes?) The electric heater is heating the carb body, would it be enough to evaporate some of the petrol in the mix, making the mixture even leaner , thus not enough petrol in the mixture to keep the engine going, or does the heater not heat the mixture this much?...enough to evaporate the petrol out of the mixture ?......This idea was put to me by another pilot at the field today. He was very concerned I have the heater on continuously. But it dose mention in the blurb for fiting it that this can be an OK case. You said you have yours on continuously too Bill , any thoughts. Is this idea rubbish.>>>>>

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Victor,
          I don't think the heater is your problem as it barely keeps the body temperature above ambient conditions. The engine certainly won't be gulping in large volumes of warm air. When my engine felt like it was going to stop on throttle back, I'm sure it was a (late) timing problem. Late timing gives increased CHT's. What are your HT leads like.
          It's so long ago now, but I seem to remember that in the darkness of the hangar, a fellow pilot saw the occasional spark jumping to earth from one of mine. I suppose at cruise revs your spark could conceivably be stronger than at idle.
          Sometimes you get to the stage where you want to renew every ignition component in order to rule out the ignition system. Keep talking and I'm sure we can get around this one way or the other. Jeremy, as you will have already seen, is a major asset within this organisation and I'm sure he can sort it out or put you in touch with someone who can.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Thanks to both of you. Unfortuneately I am replacing all the fuel components at the moment. I have replaced the fuel pump diaphram and gasket, but of course couldnt see anything wrong with the old ones !..and am now in the middle of replacing all the fuel lines and the priming bulb, right back to the tank. OK, I am also replacing the plugs, but yes maybe the ignition system need further looking at. What is the first ignition component then I should change, apart from the plugs. The coils are expensive, can the leads and caps be changed with out changing the coils, or are they all internally connected, and must be changed as a whole? What other componets are there?
            Can you tell from the picture what type of ignition I have.

Attached files

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Victor,
              You have a similar system to mine, including the carb heater. I have changed those metal capped plug connectors for the synthetic ones. The HT leads simply unscrew from sockets on the caps and the coils once you slide back the rubber gaiters. Have you had a check of the points gaps. These can get pitted/burnt on the faces and reduce efficiency. It may seem to be to be a big job but it isn't, but the best thing is to remove the engine/propeller combination to a bench. All you have to do is remove the recoil starter and lay it on the wing within a clean rag. Match mark those leads where they plug into the nylon connector. remove the carb assembly including the rubber interconnecting sleeve and lay on the wing(empty the bowl first) cover the induction port on the engine with a clean cloth to prevent ingress of debris. I bought a flywheel removal tool from Skydrive for changing the points (they will let you borrow one for the job) A fan holding tool is also needed for removing the belt. There are shims that set the tension on the fan belt shaft - ensure you take note of the way that these are placed below the retaining nut. The nylon fan slides on to a Woodruff key on the shaft so take care that that does not drop into oblivion. Remove the four bolts that slide through the Lord mounts and lift off the engine. Once you get the flywheel retaining nut off. Fit the removal tool and extract the flywheel. It fits on to a taper on the shaft and comes off with a crack - don't be alarmed. The whole points, coils and condensers are exposed for inspection.
              This may appear complicated when read but is very simple to do. I was apprehensive when first doing this but really there is nothing to it.
              If I lived nearer I would come down there and go through the process with you.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Excellent from both. I will change those plug caps, before trying the "seeming" complicated inspection of the points. So again many thanks to both of you. I print out most of your answers and read them again when I'm beside the plane, so these are a couple of pieces of paper that will be well worn ! hi. I pulled a muscle in my lower back a week ago, felt like it was healing OK and went over and worked on the plane yesterday with the effect of putting me back to were I was lasyt week ! , so, will have to wait a day or two, maybe at the weekend I'll go back over to her.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

How long should this thread get ?....it has convered a lot of different topics and we just seem to be making it longer. Should we start a new one? Anyway why I have your attention. How are you fellow sluka owners securing the primer blub to the pod. The previous method that was on my machine was just a loose cable tie. Be interested to see what you use.

Attached files

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Well. Went for the first flight yesterday after re-newing all the fuel lines, including primer bulb
                    and fuel tank guage tube. While all was empty, I took the chance to label the guage tube more, by putting two litres in and marking pod. So now have a much more detailed guage. Also renewed spark plugs and leads, but not the caps as I got LB05F type and since found out needed LB05E types .The plugs dont have the un-screwable tops. Took the metal shrouds off them and cleaned the caps. There was not visible dirt there but wiped them anyway. And all went well on the flight. 2hrs 10mins. Roughly 10litres a hr at 5000rpm at 40-45 knots. For the first 10miles or so a lot of bubbles were going up the tube in front of me, but couldnt see any coming from the tank at the valve area before primer bulb. But they stopped then and none appeared again during flight, So i'm happy now. During flight i noticed very small bubbles at the top of the fuel in the guage tube and at the top of the filter before pump and carbarettor. These are due to vibrations in the craft, I'm sure and nothing I should be concerbned about, unless I shouldnt be getting these vibrations ! Does anybody else notice these bubbles?. The CHT and EGT readings were also a lot more stable and healthier. Neither rose to high levels through whole flight, and seemed to be a lot closer together in their values per cylinder. She ticked over smoothly after flight on ground before switching off. So all in all I have a lot more confidence in her now. (Oh dear, maybe I shouldn't say that!) Anybody got photos of their machines' systems and bits. I might get better ideas for mine.

Attached files

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

I hope that you have cracked the problem now and can relax and enjoy every flight.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

Yes, so do I Bill, Many thanks for the good wishes. I am hoping to join the other club members who are doing a Round Northern Ireland Trip on the last week end of the month, with an overnight stop, so will hopefully have a few more flights before that. Looking forward to it.

Comment

LETOV SLUKA

If you're still here Bill, how did the sleeve inside the boom work? Finished yet? Is it approved? Can I start getting one made here locally? No point in waiting till crack appears.

I'd really appreciate a copy of your constructors book for the Sluka. If you would send it to G-MZBF I can copy it and return original no problem.

Comment

Hi, if anyone is out there! I`m just about to purchase a Sluka, and trying to make contact with any other owners. I`m sure there will be many questions over the coming months, but I want to make contact with any other owners.
                            Dave.

Comment

Any success finding any?
                              If not you could try (via your favourite search engine) the LAA forums, the Microlight Forum, Microlighter Pilots Facebook group, or even G-INFO [here] where the 'advanced search' will allow you to search on aircraft type. You'll need to get out pen and paper because it only gives postal addresses, but I do know someone who successfully found an aircraft he wanted via that route.

I've never flown a Sluka but I'm told they are delightful machines to fly. Enjoy, and please share your story with us.
                              The pilot formerly posting as MadamBreakneck
                              R examiner and TST pilot.

Comment

Thank you for that Joan. I will carry out a bit of info gathering and post again in the new year. Happy Christmas.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                                X