Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop' or not to prop-up,as your a/c is to old to bother with

I got a text from a pal at Balado Bridge north of Edinburgh this week,

Flexwing instructor I know had his aircraft grounded and canít get parts to repair it.
    He says P&M are giving him the run-around and thinks theyíre going bust.
    Could you put your feelers out this is what he needs.
    Arplast composite propí blade or all 3, suitable for a Rotax 912UL 80, for use on a Quantum trike.

3days later, a new message reads:-

Fortunately I have located 3, nearly new blades(£600) which I have now fitted, however no doubt this saga is going to go on
    as P&M clearly have little interest as can be gleaned from the response I got from Andrew Cranfield as copied here:-

{Simon, of course we continue to support the older aircraft, but it becomes more uneconomic as time goes on as the value of the aircraft goes down.
    To be honest, the business cannot survive only on support for classic aircraft.
    So you will understand that Bill has to focus the vast majority of his time on new aircraft development.
    That said we will try and do a mod for theWarp Drive propís, but it will take time as we just donít have the resources at the moment to do it.
    Apologies for not being more helpful at this point.
    Hope you manage to find some good Arplast propís in the short term.
    Talk soon Andrew.}

A hurt flyer commented:-
    ....So in other words were f.........d and probably going d.... the tube, but good luck in the meantime.
    Barry Light

Prop' or not to prop-up,as your a/c is to old to bother with

Oh wow....and thus almost forcing new pilots to buy the new breed of flexies (quik r's etc). Surely this cannot be the bells tolling for XL's, Q's and the rest of the "first generation" or even second generation (quantums etc) flexwings??
    "Don't have the resources to do it"......in the name of development and modification I'm sure asking for some assistance from the ssdr lads and lasses would be wise.

Comment

There was an appeal made by Manton to borrow a Quantum to certify the Warp Drive as a factory mod. I believe Graham Slater offered to help to help them as he has one and he is 5 minutes by air from Manton.

Comment

Ace Aviation

almost half the price ...not sure why
        My guess is "compliance "
        What is better ,a brand new sail or an old, DE-laminating compliant sail?
        many challenges are coming

Comment

Lindsay Mannix wrote: Ace Aviation

almost half the price ...not sure why
          My guess is "compliance "
          Your guess is right, but those of us wishing to keep 2 seaters flying as two seaters have to stay within the manufacturer supplied parts domain.

Anyone going SSDR can fit what they like, but that is of no use to a permit aircraft.

Comment

Hello all,

Here's a revolutionary thought, why don't the BMAA step into the breach and change the rules to allow the 2 seat trikes to use non-certified props? After all, SSDR's aren't falling out of the sky for want of the correct 'factory fitted' prop, so perhaps the powers that be (BMAA) could show some practical common sense and do something to try to keep many of their (our) members flying, and thus remaining as members?

I'm not having a dig at the BMAA by the way, just trying to think outside of the box the association seems to have regulated itself into. I'm sure that the tech office could do an emergency MAAN for Quantums, Quasars, et al, to fit props other than Arplast if they wanted to. After all, the CAA have given them more or less carte blanche to run the microlighting world as they see fit. So if the BMAA can do away with mandatory check pilots for check flights then surely they can change the rules regarding prop fitments without the CAA having a heart attack?

Best regards,
            XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Hello all,

Just an update on my last post. At Popham yesterday I spoke to Ben about the Quantum prop issue. He said that all it needs is for someone, (anyone!) to contact him at tech office to request the fitment of another prop. He said the CAA are 'bending over backwards' to approve prop fitments without having to go the noise test route, and are instead using existing noise test results for the props wherever possible. So if anyone with a Quantum finds they need to fit another prop, then contact Ben and see what's required for approval. Ben said in most cases just a check flight to ensure safety would probably suffice. So on that evidence it seems that Ben is quite sympathetic, and would be more than helpful if people included him in the mod process. Who knows, once a particular prop has been approved for one Quantum, then he could probably put it through as a 'series' mod that could be applied to all other fitments for the cost of a minor mod?

Not quite as good as a factory mod I know, but it would keep the Quantums flying, and for as little hassle as is likely to be possible, given the current situation at P+M.

Best regards,
              XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

On the subject of Quantum Props, I have an Arplast in my garage which I believe is for the 912 Quantum. Would anyone have the measurement from the tip to the shoulder on the hub where the prop goes in to. I just measured mine and it was 788mm from shoulder of hub on the outside to the tip of the prop.
                thanks
                Dai

Comment

Just to update this thread,

The warpdrive prop is approved as a factory mod. M154.
                  AAN BMAA-1085 relates.
                  Approved August 2016 and fitted to at least 1 Quantum ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X