Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quantum luff line checks

Hi all,

Just an update regarding clarification of SB142. I spoke to someone at P&M earlier this week and it seems the issues of damage limits, acceptable defects and other problems are being addressed and an up-issue of the SB is in progress. Issue 3 was referred to in the conversation, but as of the date of this message Issue 2 as yet still hasn't been published, so it's all still up in the air - or not in my case!

There was an admission from the person at P&M that things needed sorting out and I have been waiting over a week for a written reply to my email to them.

I'll post the response on here if and when I receive one.

Comment

Quantum luff line checks

Agree with everything you say Frank, things are quite confusing at the moment. if you look at the emergency mandate (see CAA.pmg) it refers to P and M aviation LTD bulletin, however P&M are still showing issue 1, whereas the BMAA are showing issue 2, therefore in theory we must all go with issue 2 being the later until another version/issue is released, which is more than likely..

Funny how this design has been around for so many years without any issue??? :smhair:

Attached files

Comment

Quantum luff line checks

Trevor,

When I had a look at the fabric straps and the holes they go through on my Q I noticed that there is a sharp lip where the upper and lower metal rings meet in the hole, but on mine the sharp lip is nearer the top of the hole than the bottom. This means the strap doesn't encounter the sharp edge as the angle it goes through the hole at means it is angled away from the side of the hole at the upper end where the lip is.

This indicates that when the upper and lower halves were pressed together the one with the lip was pressed up from underneath, and it led to the lip being near the top of the hole. I presume the problem has now surfaced because they are putting the side with the lip uppermost and pressing it down onto the side without, so that the lip is now near the bottom of the hole. Ergo the obvious solution is to reverse the process for all future wings so that the side with the lip is once more inserted from the bottom.

Best regards,
        XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Quantum luff line checks

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the update...you are probably right....I've had many aircraft without any issues similar to the bulletin...I have a Quik at the moment, when doing the fabric on mine I didn't find any sharp ridges, I may have a look at some of the other wings in the hangar to see what the if any are the differences...I did notice that on my wing the eyelets that have the rigging wires coming through down to the control frame... were coming detached from the wing fabric... not a major issue but it would mean the rigging wire would rub on the fabric.....then again ..the protective tubing around the swaged parts could probably do with being extended a little so that the cable never rubs on the eyelet...food for thought... :-)

Comment

Quantum luff line checks

Hello Trevor,

Thanks for your input. I didn't realise the SB's were also listed on the BMAA website, but you would have thought both published documents would be the same. If the manufacturer is the Engineering Authority, then why is their currently published document out of date (still Issue 1 as of posting this reply) and the one published elsewhere a later version? I have just checked the BMAA website and the version of SB142 attached to the Defect Report is issue 4 (http://bmaa.org/files/defect_alert__0059_-_p_m_aviation_luff_line_attachment_webbings.pdf). Also, the MPD on both the CAA and BMAA websites refer to Issue 4.

I've also just seen SB143 on the BMAA website which refers to the hang-bolt on various flexwings including the 912 Quantum type I own, but it isn't listed on the P&M website, so what on earth is going on at P&M or am I missing something here???

I still haven't received a reply to my email I sent to Bill at P&M nearly 2 weeks ago.

Regards,

Frank.

Comment

Quantum luff line checks

Hello Bob,

Just an observation in respect of the lanyards on the Q2 wing on my Quantum.

I've noticed the angle of the lanyards seem to vary from the inboard lines which are at the greatest (obtuse?) angle relative to the wing surface and under low tension, to the outboard ones which are at an acute angle and under much greater tension. The outboard lines I think would be at risk irrespective of where the lip is positioned, but the inboards would probably be OK if the lip is top as the webbing doesn't really touch the upper section of the ring.

The situation may differ on the various wings the SB applies to, but the outboard webbing seems to be at the most risk on the Q2 wing.

Regards,

Frank.

Comment

Quantum luff line checks

Frank,

Good point. When I looked at my Q1 the other day I didn't notice the outer ones being chafed against the side wall of the hole. However, during flight when the luff lines are usually loose, they may flap about and rub against the sides of the holes, so it is definitely worth giving them a good check over on a regular basis.

Best regards,

Bob
                XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, not to mention the Raven and the Mini-Max. Oh, and I almost forgot the Spectrum as well :-)

Comment

Working...
                X