wing fold support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wing fold support

Snow in east Yorkshire delayed me receiving my Rans S6 today. It gives me time to sort our the hangar, insurance etc.

My question is, is there any schematics, diagrams, photos, measurements for the supports when the wings are folded. sort of like drapes over the end of the fusealage and the wing rests in it. with wheels on it.

so it will be easier to store.

regards

wayne

wing fold support

First attempt was a saddle hangling off the fuselage. this did not work and was a pathetic attempt..

Second attempt a t- configuration with 5" wheels, wing tips just about cleared the ground. but elevator horn sticks out and don't want itsticking into the wing. Also have to take off the wing struts as these would stick into the fusealage when folded.

going to start on 3 rd attempt with maybe 10" wheels as will be easier to roll around.

Comment

wing fold support

I have a nose dragger Rans S6 and fold the wings when the days flying is done. My wing fold cradle is a triangular frame which hooks over the main undercarriage legs and fixes to the rear fuselage tie down point. At the rear the frame extends out from the side of the fuselage a foot or so and has a "U" shaped rest for the wing leading edge to rest in. Just inboard of the "U" support there is a vertical pole which the wing rests against to prevent it from swinging over against the tailplane (which is folded upwards) or banging against the rudder. The effect of putting the wings onto the supports causes the rear of the fuselage to tip down by gravity and in this state the weight of the rear of the aircraft is supported by a 3" castor. This brings the height of the folded aircraft down to less than 6'6" so it fits in my trailer. When not attached to the aircraft the front of the cradle sits on two further castors to aid dragging around on the ground. The wing struts are completely detached and hang on hooks on the inside of my trailer.

I suspect the whole thing is somewhat more involved than you were thinking you would need but it does mean that the only part of the fabric which is touched is the part of the leading edge which rests in the foam padded "U" supports.

I don't know who designed and/or made the cradle, it was with the aircraft as far back as I can trace, I know the previous 4 owners.

Rans6Andrew.

Comment

wing fold support

ps I have a rope around the back of the cradle which lets me pull the aircraft around backwards, the pull lifts the weight off the rear castor. When pushing it forwards from the wing tips, again the weight is taken off the small castor so it can be moved across soft grass quite easily.

Comment

wing fold support

Andrew
          many thanks.would you happen to have any photos and dimensions?

regards

wayne

Comment

wing fold support

Hi Wayne,
            Just spotted this thread, sorry. Here is a photo of my saddle, I then shortened it by about 6" as the wing tips could touch the ground. No measurements, sorry as I do not have it any more, but the photos should give you an idea of sizes.

http://www.essexflyer.me.uk/useful-information/wing-folding-technique/

Comment

wing fold support

Hi guys.
              I know this thread was started a while ago, but I've just joined the forum and come across it.
              I've attached a diagram of the wing cradle that I built for my trike S6. I'm sure it could be adapted for tail draggers too. It fits over the fuselage just forward of the tail fin.
              I fitted foam pipe insulation to the part that the fuselage fits inside and along the uprights to protect the wing fabric. Lengths of bungee cord were attached to the top of the uprights.
              The cords go round the wings and tie to the post above the castor. That holds the wings in place.

I'm sure Wayne has probably got something sorted by now but I thought the diagram may benefit someone else in the future.

Regards.

Scott.

Attached files

Comment

Hi Scott, I have recently bought a S6ES and have a similar problem to Wayne. I need a wing cradle to support the wings rather than just propping them up on several layers of foam. I also need to move a/c around my garage/hangar prior to going to the airfield, if we are ever allowed to fly again! Your diagram would be appreciated.
                Dave.

Comment

Working...
                X