Rumour is sighted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour is sighted

Well the Rumour (topless, strutted and airbus style wingtips) has been sighted with air under the wheels ... and I can say one word WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

and having flown it there are not enough !! in that ... Raven 912 may be for sale soon

Attached files

Rumour is sighted

Why not remove the front flying wires and use struts at the rear as well? Fair play to Chris. Is that a rave-R then?

Wonder If it still has the vortex generators?

Chris, if your listening make It backward compatible please
    flying is good for you!

Comment

Rumour is sighted

At the moment:
      1. no vortex generators - did not seem to need them
      2. removing the front wires altogether would be hard as the bending moment around the hang bracket would mean the keel would have to be ridiculously heavy - most lift is on centre 1/3rd of a wing at the 1/4 chord - all of this in front of the hang piont and all of this force going through the leading edges into the keel at the front point - massive bending moment
      3. I am already trying to talk Chris into backward compatibility - it uses the same hang bolt and bracket spacing as the Raven and the A frame size is compatible - at least to the Raven 912 I am looking at working on Chris. It would be a major mod but a factory one - but not a cheap one unless you compare it to a complete replacement airframe. Not sure how the performance of the 447 or 503 Ravens would be - the wing heavy but is bloody fast - the airspeed on both instruments (its a test machine) was 75mph straight and level at 3950 rpm ... and i had not used the electric trim to move it to fast so that is the hands free trim on the slow setting as an idea

Now to just get Chris to finish it.

Henry Long said...
      Why not remove the front flying wires and use struts at the rear as well? Fair play to Chris. Is that a rave-R then?

Wonder If it still has the vortex generators?

Chris, if your listening make It backward compatible please

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Liked your article in MF btw, bet the electrics never gave a minutes trouble until you went on the trip!
        I would think though that it should get something to make it different from the competition, or half the price.
        How does the trim work? Is it a p&m clone or kevs moving hangpoint?
        How does he achieve reflex in the wing?
        Also, how does the trike sit in flight? Is it nose high our low?
        flying is good for you!

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Correct - the electrics went the week of the RbR - such is life

Different from the competition - it not made by P&M and it has the lovely finger tip fore-aft weigh of the Raven on the bar in the side to side as well ... lovely, and with the big touring screen and deflectors (even bigger than the QuikR) no wind and very quiet. But half the price - I'm sure Chris will do you one for half the price of a QuikR ... you just supply the engine, prop and instruments ;-)
          Trim is the hang point move so Kevs not P&M
          It maintains reflex similar to one of the P&M QuikR systems but has only need of 1 internal support each side because it is VERY short span (but more wing area than a Quik)
          Trike sits much less nose high than the EclipseR 912, but of course still nose high ... the mains have to touch down first or its 1 flight per airfrme :-(

Henry Long said...
          Liked your article in MF btw, bet the electrics never gave a minutes trouble until you went on the trip!
          I would think though that it should get something to make it different from the competition, or half the price.
          How does the trim work? Is it a p&m clone or kevs moving hangpoint?
          How does he achieve reflex in the wing?
          Also, how does the trike sit in flight? Is it nose high our low?

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Hi,

I assume you can't put the wing down then?

Comment

Rumour is sighted

yes and no.

the tip comes off in less than 10 secs (velcro) and the geometry means the tip can then touch the ground while the A frame comes to the front strut
              BUT
              the touring screen (not a copy of P&M) does not clear the wires so the screen would also need to come off to put the tip to the ground.

The best full rig position is similar to the Quik - wing level bar back onto the seat frame sides with rear seat belt holding the bar back.

have not lowered/raised the wing or used the remote wing lock/unlock which is push button on the dash to release the folding mast.
              Andy Fell said...
              Hi,

I assume you can't put the wing down then?

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Can it be folded, a la QuikR (but hopefully more practically ;-) )?
                Dave
                (You're going to try and convince me that well dressed svelte figure in the trike is CD aren't you?)

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Dave,

Not folded the wing on trike yet - but from what I have seen and discussed with CJD it will be like QuikR - remove inner battons, fold reflex hold rod and release tension ... but until its tried I can't comment other than the fact it goes straight into the polytunnel fully rigged due to low height and short span.

And of course the svelte pilot in the photo is CJD ... I have difficulty photographing myself from that angle while flying it :rofl: and that was from the iphone, the SLR digital shots are with said CJD.

Dave Smith wrote:
                  Can it be folded, a la QuikR (but hopefully more practically [IMG]/emoticons/wink.gif[/IMG] )?
                  Dave
                  (You're going to try and convince me that well dressed svelte figure in the trike is CD aren't you?)

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Spoke to CJD - the new Rumour wing (when tested and certified) will be back compatible as a mod to earlier Ravens.

With the electrics and all for the wing trim and the struts it will come in at a weight slightly higher than the extisting Raven Eclipser wing. As it will be a mod to fit an alternate certified wing to a trike and not a recertification of the trike the MTOW will not change - you will be trading a small amount of fuel/people for the extra wing weight.

No idea how long or price but at least it is out of the factory and in the hangar for start of flight testing.

Comment

Rumour is sighted

So you've flown it then? How was it?

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Yes briefly flown under factory B conditions.

Short flight and impressions were very positive with a couple of little points.

Trike - Very large and solid compared to everything else Ive flown (inclusing Quiks and GT450). Touring screen is brilliant for wind removal, flown with Flycom helmet but it was still air throughout the flight even when a little bit of agressive flight was had - flown in tshirt and jeans not flying suit and it was not noticed. Seating position and bar position is comfy - lower bar position than the Eclipser. The fuel tank is enormous and from the flight speed and power settings I saw this will be a true touring trike though under the skirt is fully filled with the fuel tank and BRS chute (this will be a 472.5kg trike) so touring will need either panniers or no passenger as the under floor lockers will not hold more than snacks and the credit card.

Niggles - Foot throttle needs to be further away from the foot rest - works well for short legged CJD but I am taller and I found I had to positively pull the top of my foot back uncomfortably to get back to idle on the foot throttle. The hand throttle is also positioned too far back on the side rail - CJD accepts this and is looking to move it forward.

Ground handling is easy but it needs the weight on the nose increased a bit as it lost directional control on the nose wheel before lift off speed ie the nose comes up a fraction of a second before the wing lifts - in the cross wind it was noticable - the battery is migrating forward so that should fix that.

Landing is every so nice - the triek is heavier and the wing smaller than an Eclipser so it rides through bumps better - the bast**ds at the field all commented that my landing in the Rumour was far better than any in the Eclipser.

Flight - this one has the same 80hp 912 and prop as the Eclipser - and it accelerated VERY quickly with takeoff run over the ground the same as the Eclipser flown by me on the same strip half an hour before so conditions the same. The extra weight is not a problem on takeoff as the reduced drag results in the same TO run give or take a few feet. On climb out the wing is remarkable - on slow trim it is nice and solid climbing at 75mph full throttle and returning over 2000fpm. I did not have my GPS with me so these are from the GX2 flight instrument though the airspeed was confirmed by separate ASI but still to be calibrated for instrument error.

CJD helpfully failed to show me which electrical breaker turned the trim on (all circuits are on separate unlabelled breakers on the test machine) so I left it alone and flew on the slow trim only. To bring it back to hands free straight and level the power had to come back to 3950rpm and the plane settled to 75mph ... my Eclipser needs 4750rpm to go this fast and I have to pull bar back. The weight on the bar to pull/push in the Rumour is the same as the Eclipser - a two finger job.

In the short flight I let it settle then did a couple of medium 90deg turns - weight on the side to side is similar to the fore/aft, two finger weight (Eclipser is higher by far than the Rumour on side bar). Then I did 360 left transition immediately into 360 right - all straight and level - very easy no quibbles. directional stability is brilliant - there is very little or no skid appreciable going into or through turn transistions (no wind from either side and I was in the tshirt so should have felt it on the shoulders) and the trike and wing stayed where I pointed them.

Back into to land - the glide appears as good as the Eclipser in terms of angle through the air down final but I was faster on approach and held a little power as this was a first flight and there was 10-15 mph wind 45deg across my nose and I have not explored slow speed flight.

Overall the impression is very positive. On the wing it will be a reviver for the Eclipsers and maybe even the 503 Ravens as it will give them the 'modern' speeds and strutted look for the cost of a brand new wing - probably a third of a replacement aircraft.

On the trike I would love to swap it for my Eclipser - but if the wing can go backwards onto the Eclipser (and CJD said yes to mod it backwards) then I will go that way to start with and consider a new rumour trike later given I have a 912 trike that I can live with because I fly solo so much of the time.

There - almost took longer to type than than it did to fly the Rumour :rofl:

Andy Fell wrote:
                        So you've flown it then? How was it?

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Will it be at the NEC flying show, November 26/27 ?

Laurie (2)

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Any more sightings? pics?
                            Laurie, make sure and get a few pics for us who wont get to the NEC please

Enri
                            flying is good for you!

Comment

Rumour is sighted

Not likely to be at NEC - Medway do not usually display there. I can 'sight' it any weekend I go to the airfield - its in the hangar just down from my Raven - but not sighted in the air again.

Not unexpected as the focus has been on getting the final flight tests completed on the new Clipper 3 axis version of the SLA. I suppose once that is complete I can start poking Chris about the Rumour ... but as I have not finished the new moulds and delivered tips for the Clipper and SLAs I am rather avoiding him at the moment due to embarrasment

Comment

Working...
                              X