My New Raven - Some thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Raven - Some thoughts please

After finishing my Quantum 582 rebuild last July and the weather recently being so bad, I was getting bored over the past few weeks with nothing to do on my aircraft.

A good friend of mine owned a Raven EclipseR 912 since 2001 when he bought it (6mnths old). Initially it was powered by a Jab but was changed at the factory to a 912 when she was 2yrs old.

It has had all the mods (strut/ trike mods) and my friendís had a love affair with it since he's owned it. He reluctantly sold it last year to fund a new machine but the new owner never flew it and has sat in the same spot and never touched since we dropped it over to him last November. It is now back on the market again!

Anyway, I'm considering selling my Quantum and buying the Eclipse R. I've been reading as much info as I can on them (which is not a lot really as I canít find very much)! This Raven has all the bells and whistles with an immaculate sail cloth and a 350hr 912 powering it but will need a full trike strip down (like my last two aircrafts) to bring her up to my standards.

The log books are well kept (as my friend who owned it is an inspector) and itís never been out of permit but the logs make interesting reading. All the mods along the way make the trike sound as though Medway used their production machines as test aircraft (I'm mainly referring to the major side strut repositioning mod among others).

Was this mod something that most Raven owners performed themselves or did they go back to the factory?

The level of finish is far from the standard on my Quantum and miles away from a Blade. Also the niggles when rigging/ de-rigging are just laughable but I fancy owning something a bit different from the norm (Quik/ Quantum/ Blade) and fancy another challenge in making a nice machine out of this tired Raven.

Another friend flew it last year for a couple of months whilst his machine was out of action and thought that it was very twitchy and terrible in turbulence Ė but reading on here it should be the opposite.

What are these Ravens like to live with day to day?

Thanks

Steve.

Lovely machine - agree the trike base is all nuts n bolts on display and the fine finish you see from other trikes is not there.
    The major mods to change Jab2200 to R912 where factory manufactured and they were massive changes as the engine and rear undercart had to move forward but things like the fuel tank stayed put ... result is the fuel filler is not in a particularly accessible place etc.

But the trike puts up with punishment ... when mine have anyway ;-)

Only serious niggle on the trike is larger/taller people in the rear seat - tall back there and after a couple of hours you are the new hunchback of Raven land

The wing rides quite well through the rougher air on the three I've flown so I would go ??? to anyone saying they are twitchy or terrible in turb - learned on Qtm and swapped to Raven.

On rigging/de-rigging the beast come on down to Stoke and let us show you how its done - its easier than a qtm (yes really) and as there are 4 eclipsers living here you can talk to a few of the pilots ... oh and Chris too, he may not be flying them at the moment but he can still brew a cuppa and talk Ravens.

Comment

Thanks Kirk.

That's interesting that you mentioned the undercarriage going forward after the engine swap - On mine It wasn't done (not sure why). The previous owner done it himself with guidance from the factory.

Was this normal??

I'd love to come down to stoke but it's a bit of a way from Ireland :-D

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, Ive flown one for a few years now. Great machine but needs something like a 582 trike. The one I have prefers to be at its lightest, i.e solo with a half tank of fuel to get the best out of it. You should go fly the thing and see for yourself what you think of it. Let us know when you do please

Henry
        flying is good for you!

Comment

Henry - its already got a 912 on it ... its an eclipser not one of the old hybrid X so a 582 would be a step down
          Henry Long wrote: Hi Steve, Ive flown one for a few years now. Great machine but needs something like a 582 trike. The one I have prefers to be at its lightest, i.e solo with a half tank of fuel to get the best out of it. You should go fly the thing and see for yourself what you think of it. Let us know when you do please

Henry

Comment

Sorry Kirk, Was just talking of my own humble machine!

And anyway, who says a 912 is a step up?? :lol:
            flying is good for you!

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.
              I ended up doing a deal on the EclipseR, but due to her sitting for a while I'll be giving the trike a full going over before I fly her - Hopefully I'll get her ready for the air in a few weeks.

I'll let you know what I think when I fly her.

Cheers
              Steve.

Comment

I'm also surprised at you anecdotal evidence.
                The Raven wing (never flown an EclipseR version) is the one I'd prefer to be attached to when the going gets tough (of ANY wing). I think it's because it carries more cloth in the centre, rather than out at the tips.
                As for rigging - none simpler or easier (but mind your fingers in that Isoflex joint at the control frame top ;-) )
                Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

You are so right about that isoflex joint: I got my wing tuned the other day and got 3 small wounds trying to re-attache it to the main post!!!

But I survived. And the joy of flying this wing compensate for any discomfort when you put it together.

It flies fantastic!!!

Regards

Minica

EclipseR

G-ZZOW

Comment

When I was regularly rigging, I made two wooden wedges that hooked into the top of the control frame to hold the joint central.
                    This was on a Hornet Raven, where Hornet moved the control bar forwards by altering the fore-aft cable lengths. They didn't, however, alter the sidewires which, because of the geometry, become very tight compared with a conventional rigged wing. This puts even greater upward force on the joint. nearly broke a finger once...
                    Dave

Comment

In the interest of pedantry - isoflex is the roll augmentation system at the tips - not the finger trapping A frame joint

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microlights/message/1109 from the designer RVW himself!

Paul

Comment

Sorry Paul. You're quite right.
                        Memory not what it was...
                        I did shout something very similar when I trapped my finger in the offending joint though... ;-)

Dave

Comment

I experienced the curse of the A-frame joint a few weeks ago whilst rigging my EclipseR - wow did that hurt!
                          I need to make up some sort of jig/holder to hold it in place for the rare occasion that my machine is de-rigged.

After flying 40hrs in my EclipseR since the full rebuild I must comment on how amazing the Raven wing is! I'm completely spoiled now for the future as I hadn't flown anything like it - it flies like its on rails, turns on a dye and is just so controllable.
                          It's razor sharp handling relegates my old Quantum to a machine that flies like a couch compared to it.

The machine though isn't without its faults and the trike isn't as pretty or as well designed as the Quantum/Quik unit but the wing out-weighs all of it's downsides.

If anyone gets the chance to fly a Raven wing - take it!!!

Steve.

Comment

I was first who introduced Raven to Lithuanian pilots in 2009. A lot of used Ravens were moved to Lithuania since then . Yes, you are right - these machines are not suited for static display at a show in now-days, but they win against all others in the air

Comment

Pilots who've taken my advice to try a Raven have always been completely persuaded. I only wish Kirk would crack on with his mini Raven project so I can consider swapping my Chaser wing for one...
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X