Raven 503.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raven 503.

Sooooo after nearly 3 years of tuition in a Quantum and passing my GST in Feb. It's now time to finally fly my Raven !!!! Just had it permitted for the 3rd time and with the good weather expected this weekend it cannot be put off any longer Pete ! (My instructor )
    Will post the result next week. Fingers crossed.

Raven 503.

It'll handle like a sports car rather than a family saloon. You'll love it.

Comment

Raven 503.

I'm curious to find out what you think!!

I bought my EclipseR a few weeks ago and have just started to stripe to trike to rebuilt it completely so I haven't flown her yet. I've moved from a Quantum 582 so will be interested to what you think of how the wing flys!!

Steve.

Comment

Raven 503.

Well an eventful Sunday morning.! After a check flight with Pete my instructor he was happy to send me off on my own. So having configured for solo flight I took off for a couple of circuits and landings, the first thing I noticed was how smoothly she cut through the air and how sensitive the bar was. On attempting my first solo landing I just was not happy with my setup and so pulled away to go around. No problem, I have no ego to satisfy at my age.

But as I applied full power to pull away the seat back collapsed, leaving me floundering for the foot throttle ! Luckily I had enough nous to go for the hand throttle straightaway and having gained a lot more height managed to pull myself upright and landed or should I say arrived, feeling unsettled to say the least.

Lessons learned. Sort things out properly and test them out before flying !

I've now strapped a jerrycan in the back seat so that I dont have to mess about with wooden bits. Unfortunately the wind came on strong after that so no further flying was possible, but watch this space I have more time off this week to get to know Mivvy. (G- MVVI)

Comment

Raven 503.

Well sorted Chris, glad to hear that you're doing OK.

Ginge

Comment

Raven 503.

I think landing speeds are slightly more critical with Ravens. In the early days of Ravens, we used to get pilots trained on Flashes who insisted on fast touchdowns (50+ IAS). With a Raven, this results in an attitude of the trike where the front wheel touches first, unless you're spot on with the flare. You don't want to touch down front wheel first!
            Equally, if you get it a bit slow, she'll drop you hard.
            Ravens often weren't fitted with a wheel brake. Pulling the bar in hard on roll out is really effective, but only use it when you have too, as it's hard on the airframe.
            Still far and away the best value in secondhand flexwings, and still capable of modern speeds.
            Dave

Comment

Raven 503.

Well at last managed almost 3 hours of flying this week, as in the morning and evening it was less thermic and I wanted time to get used to the landings etc.
              You are so right about the landing speeds but most of this week I've had to come in at around 45 - 50 mph because of the crosswind. Really interesting at Sandy, being a short field and no brakes !! I know every bit of rough in the neighbourhood and on the airfield.
              She handles really well and as everbody has said she is like an old sportscar which suits me down to the ground.

Comment

Working...
              X